There are 88 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Is frank gore done?

Originally posted by vaden:
It's a total myth that Thomas Jones is having a good season. He's averaging 3.7 yards a carry, versus 6.4 by Jamaal Charles. It's ludicrous that Jones gets more carries.

Right, it's ludicrous! How dare Charlie Weis have Jones carry the rock more than Charles. WTF does he know about an NFL offense?
No, sir. The Tank shall be back next season in full form.
Originally posted by Wodwo:

Don't say mean things about Gore.




Keep fighting the good fight, dude
I'd cash in my chips on gore! love him to death, perfect professional, but the wear and tear will catch up to him soon and if he has any value i'd consider it! Look at the pats, they trade big names and get 1st round picks
Trade him to the Packers for a 2nd or a 3rd.
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Originally posted by longtime49erfan:
If possible, package Gore with our first round and maybe another pick and move up to get Andrew Luck!

I don't think Gore will have a ton of trade value at this point. He only has one year left on his contract and he's coming off a fractured hip.

He's worth a clean-cut 3rd round pick (we could get back what we drafted him for).

That is exactly what I was thinking as well... Trade him for a 3rd, and go with Dixon as your Hammer, and resign Westbrook, as a change of pace. And obviously address the 3rd back via draft/FA.
Originally posted by DrKillPatient:
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Originally posted by longtime49erfan:
If possible, package Gore with our first round and maybe another pick and move up to get Andrew Luck!

I don't think Gore will have a ton of trade value at this point. He only has one year left on his contract and he's coming off a fractured hip.

He's worth a clean-cut 3rd round pick (we could get back what we drafted him for).

That is exactly what I was thinking as well... Trade him for a 3rd, and go with Dixon as your Hammer, and resign Westbrook, as a change of pace. And obviously address the 3rd back via draft/FA.



I'm sure he's worth more than a 3rd and why would we trade him just to open up another hole?
  • vaden
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 3,020
Originally posted by Gavintech:
Originally posted by vaden:
It's a total myth that Thomas Jones is having a good season. He's averaging 3.7 yards a carry, versus 6.4 by Jamaal Charles. It's ludicrous that Jones gets more carries.

Right, it's ludicrous! How dare Charlie Weis have Jones carry the rock more than Charles. WTF does he know about an NFL offense?

Appeal to authority fallacy. I don't care who Weis is, it's obvious that Charles is the superior runner.
What's the point of trading a known commodity, one of the top 5 overall backs in the NFL (I'd say top 3), for a 3rd or 4th round draft pick? We've already got draft picks, trading your best players for day 2 picks is a waste of time.
Originally posted by longtime49erfan:
If possible, package Gore with our first round and maybe another pick and move up to get Andrew Luck!

I like Frank but I love this idea. Any takers???
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 8,104
Originally posted by vaden:
Originally posted by Gavintech:
Originally posted by vaden:
It's a total myth that Thomas Jones is having a good season. He's averaging 3.7 yards a carry, versus 6.4 by Jamaal Charles. It's ludicrous that Jones gets more carries.

Right, it's ludicrous! How dare Charlie Weis have Jones carry the rock more than Charles. WTF does he know about an NFL offense?

Appeal to authority fallacy. I don't care who Weis is, it's obvious that Charles is the superior runner.

Your first post is also an appeal to authority. Only you assume the role of expert. Your opinion of how well he is performing is irrelevant.

You have no idea what his role in the offense is and what the coaches are asking him to do. His lower yards per carry could be due to the situations he has been used in and the fact that opponents know what his role is.

It could also be due to the fact that Jamaal Charles is a change of pace back and weighs less than 200 Lbs., so they don't want to use him as an every down back in order to keep him healthy.

Thomas Jones could be having a good season because he is doing far better than expected in a difficult role.

Stephen Jackson has the same yards per carry.

[ Edited by Wodwo on Dec 28, 2010 at 22:46:53 ]
  • vaden
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 3,020
Originally posted by Wodwo:
Originally posted by vaden:
Originally posted by Gavintech:
Originally posted by vaden:
It's a total myth that Thomas Jones is having a good season. He's averaging 3.7 yards a carry, versus 6.4 by Jamaal Charles. It's ludicrous that Jones gets more carries.

Right, it's ludicrous! How dare Charlie Weis have Jones carry the rock more than Charles. WTF does he know about an NFL offense?

Appeal to authority fallacy. I don't care who Weis is, it's obvious that Charles is the superior runner.

Your first post is also an appeal to authority. Only you assume the role of expert. Your opinion of how well he is performing is irrelevant.

lol, you clearly have no understanding of what appeal to authority means. I did not appeal to any authority, nor did I "assume the role of expert." I simply stated my opinion based on the stats and what I've seen of both running backs. By your logic, we are all appealing to authority any time we state an opinion, which is just laughable.

3.7 yards per carry for a feature back is not good, plain and simple. The fact that Stephen Jackson has matched it shows he's had a disappointing season too. As has Cedric Benson. Those are the only three RBs in the league with 200+ carries to be averaging less than 4 yards a carry.

Meanwhile, no RB in the league averaging 5+ carries a game is within half a yard of Charles. But go on thinking Jones is better. I couldn't care less.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 8,104
Originally posted by vaden:



lol, you clearly have no understanding of what appeal to authority means. I did not appeal to any authority, nor did I "assume the role of expert." I simply stated my opinion based on the stats and what I've seen of both running backs. By your logic, we are all appealing to authority any time we state an opinion, which is just laughable.

3.7 yards per carry for a feature back is not good, plain and simple. The fact that Stephen Jackson has matched it shows he's had a disappointing season too. As has Cedric Benson. Those are the only three RBs in the league with 200+ carries to be averaging less than 4 yards a carry.

Meanwhile, no RB in the league averaging 5+ carries a game is within half a yard of Charles. But go on thinking Jones is better. I couldn't care less.

Sure, I have an idea what it means. If you want to get into a logic debate, we can do that. I'm not sure if this is really the place for it, though. It's an informal fallacy for one and for two it wasn't even a fallacy. He never said that Weis was infallible. He just implied that it's silly to think you know more than he does. Experts do exist and those experts can be cited in the premise of a valid inductive conclusion. Inductive logic is all a formal fallacy anyway, though. Hehe....

I was messing with you because your calling out his statement as an appeal to authority and a fallacy was a fallacy. I'm sorry my humor was too obtuse for you. You attacked his expert without giving supporting evidence, then you implied that you were an expert by saying your conclusion was "obvious". Do you understand now? Your first post would then have been expert testimony that supported your conclusion. Obtuse, I know... I tend to do that. I wasn't being serious... like I said, inductive logic is all a fallacy anyway. Then again, I'm a Skeptic, so I guess I'd have to say deductive logic is a fallacy, too. Heh. Obtuse.

You see, your argument that 3.7 yards per carry is not good is just not logical. You can't make things that simple... there are multiple factors involved in both the cases of Stephen Jackson and Thomas Jones. Stephen Jackson is playing with the team on his shoulders because the rookie quarterback can't throw the ball over 20 yards. We all know what that does and I've run the numbers... Bradford is worse than any QB we've had in recent memory when it comes to stretching the defense... except maybe Dorsey.

Thomas Jones I already explained... Charles is a change of pace back that is too small and too valuable to risk as an every down back. Especially considering their entire offense is based on those two running backs. They lead the league in rushing, but they also lead it in rushing attempts by a wide margin. They are 29th in the league in pass attempts. Thomas Jones is a legitimate threat running the football, so teams have to respect his inside running, which means stacking the box, especially considering their run blocking. This sets up play action and other trickery for the Chiefs. Charles can then easily bounce his runs outside if the defense is pinched.

Not that Charles isn't good on his own merit, the guy is awesome, no argument there. Just give credit to the guy who does the dirty work. Thomas Jones and Stephen Jackson are a very large reason that the Chiefs and Rams are both probably going to the playoffs. Working in a tough environment, but getting the job done anyway is "good" in my book. Justin Smith doesn't put up amazing statistics, but we all know he's worthy of being in the Pro Bowl. He fights through the dirty work like a beast and gets his job done. Granted, I think Justin Smith does a better job than Jones or Jackson, but I'm a fanboy, so I'm biased.

I never said Jones was better. Charles is a playmaker and one of the best backs in the league. Jones is a workhorse hitting the A gap and getting a pile of 300 Lbs. men on his back every carry. Apples and oranges... Charles is better, though. I can like apples more than oranges, right? That analogy still works?

So, obviously I came off like a prick somewhere in my reply to you. I'm really sorry about that, I tend to get a bit over zealous at times... and too blunt. Ok, I'll admit it... I have a huge ego and I poo all over people. So, really... sorry for that. You make good points, and I like debating good points when I disagree. I'd hate to lose that opportunity in the future because I was an asshat. Peace?

Oh... and sorry for writing such a long damn post. I like to hear myself type.

Sorry to everybody who had to scroll past it... not that you actually read this apology because you just scrolled past the post.
Frank will stay a niner, he is not done and he's not gonna be traded for a 3rd round draft pick
Originally posted by ninerfan818:
Originally posted by longtime49erfan:
If possible, package Gore with our first round and maybe another pick and move up to get Andrew Luck!

I like Frank but I love this idea. Any takers???

too bad Carolina already has two quality backs in Stewart and Williams