Is frank gore done?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by BETTERDAYZ9ERS:
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by BETTERDAYZ9ERS:
Originally posted by Uppercut:
A couple of bad games and you say he's done, meanwhile you all keep your support for Smith after years of nothing? Give me a break.

So true. I just think he doesn't have his legs under him yet. He looked better in the 4th qtr on Sunday than he did all game.

Wouldn't he looks worse in 4th quarter if he doesn't have his legs under him yet ? Also that is such a bs argument, its not like he wasn't practicing in training camp.

Frank is one of those backs who gets stronger as the game goes on. Frank gets no touches in preseason. But to say he's done is absurd

He's not done but he is not same back he was two years ago. Age catches up to everyone and especially RBs that have been pounded on like he has.
Wouldn't he looks worse in 4th quarter if he doesn't have his legs under him yet ? Also that is such a bs argument, its not like he wasn't practicing in training camp.

It's week two, there is no BS argument, he's coming back from surgery and you're saying he's done. So when he starts running through people and breaking big runs what will you say? Just stop already.

Another thing that I'm tired of hearing is you make excuses about the O line for Smith but when it comes to Gore it's all his fault. Give it a rest.
[ Edited by Uppercut on Sep 20, 2011 at 9:51 AM ]
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

It's week two, there is no BS argument, he's coming back from surgery and you're saying he's done. So when he starts running through people and breaking big runs what will you say? Just stop already.

Another thing that I'm tired of hearing is you make excuses about the O line for Smith but when it comes to Gore it's all his fault. Give it a rest.

hey look I NEVER make excuses for Smith.
I didn't mean you particularly but I keep reading people complain about the O line sucking being the reason Smith sucks, but for Gore it has nothing to do with that it's all Gore, even though the Line is mandatory for him breaking off runs. It's non sense.
Remember Kevin Barlow? He looked like a world beater for Mooch, but was run out of town on a rail by angry fans. Barlow was a great zone runner, patient with a quick burst to the hole when it appeared. Why did he suddenly look so bad under Nolan, same o-line, same back no production? Simple Nolan preferred a power run game, a run game were the hole will be in a specific spot and the back must trust it to be there. The back must run hard to the spot and not waste time looking around for a better hole, Frank is a classic power runner, Barlow was not. Our new scheme involves more zone blocking, Frank does not do this well not his style. JH put in more power this week, but Frank did not look like Frank, maybe the O-line can't do both well, maybe Frank is thinking to much, I will tell you this watch Franks feet, they stop moving he isn't running his legs as hard as he used to. Could be age, but more likely a mental thing, he can't think and move his feet at the same time, we may need to simplify the run game if Frank can't get his head around the new scheme.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
I didn't mean you particularly but I keep reading people complain about the O line sucking being the reason Smith sucks, but for Gore it has nothing to do with that it's all Gore, even though the Line is mandatory for him breaking off runs. It's non sense.

Dude dont get me wrong I like Gore and Im a fan of his but he just does not look explosive like he did in the past. This isn't the first time I have seen this happen to RBs, it happens all the time.
People have been telling Gore he's done dating back to college.

I love watching him prove detractors wrong.

Maybe if our o-line gave him any breathing room he'd be in a much better spot.

Let's not forget the lack of a down the field pass attack.
Dude dont get me wrong I like Gore and Im a fan of his but he just does not look explosive like he did in the past. This isn't the first time I have seen this happen to RBs, it happens all the time.

I remember a couple of years ago people saying that then he had some break out games and that ended quick. It's only week 2
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
People keep blaming the line, etc. etc. It's the way defenses are playing the Niners. It doesn't take a Rhodes scholar to see that opponents do not respect the 49ers offense at all. They are just challenging Alex Smith to beat 'em and the 49ers do not have the QBs or the WRs to beat a stacked box. The sad thing about it is, that by the time they do get some playmakers on offense, he will be done.
tHAT IS NOT A VERY SMART MOVE,lUCK IS not WORTH THAT MUCH, and besides Kaep has to be given a chance to play, otherwise are you saying that LUCK can come out of college and hit the ground running?

I beg the difference on the WRs, it is the QB they don`t fear
  • tn9er
  • Veteran
Originally posted by FL9er:
People keep blaming the line, etc. etc. It's the way defenses are playing the Niners. It doesn't take a Rhodes scholar to see that opponents do not respect the 49ers offense at all. They are just challenging Alex Smith to beat 'em and the 49ers do not have the QBs or the WRs to beat a stacked box. The sad thing about it is, that by the time they do get some playmakers on offense, he will be done.

You're right about teams stacking the box against our offense, however you're wrong as to the reason why.

They stack the box because Frank Gore runs between the tackles which allows teams to squeeze the OLB's in closer. When they are able to do this it leaves them with the ability for some of these exoctic blitzs or even 7 man jail breaks against our offense.

As for the real reason they can do this is because Frank Gore lacks the speed to beat them to the outside.

Watch a speed back like Chris Johnson [titans] and you will notice that the OLB's are forced to play 3-4 yds wider which gives the OL a better opportunity to win their battles...
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Remember Kevin Barlow? He looked like a world beater for Mooch, but was run out of town on a rail by angry fans. Barlow was a great zone runner, patient with a quick burst to the hole when it appeared. Why did he suddenly look so bad under Nolan, same o-line, same back no production? Simple Nolan preferred a power run game, a run game were the hole will be in a specific spot and the back must trust it to be there. The back must run hard to the spot and not waste time looking around for a better hole, Frank is a classic power runner, Barlow was not. Our new scheme involves more zone blocking, Frank does not do this well not his style. JH put in more power this week, but Frank did not look like Frank, maybe the O-line can't do both well, maybe Frank is thinking to much, I will tell you this watch Franks feet, they stop moving he isn't running his legs as hard as he used to. Could be age, but more likely a mental thing, he can't think and move his feet at the same time, we may need to simplify the run game if Frank can't get his head around the new scheme.

Completely agree and great analysis.

I remember a couple of years ago people saying that then he had some break out games and that ended quick. It's only week 2

Frank is still gonna break out against teams our O-line can dominate. But against teams with a complete front 7, Hunter needs to be in the backfield. His speed and ability to squeeze through the smallest holes is the only way we are going to generate a run game against a good front 7.
Originally posted by 5280High:
Frank is still gonna break out against teams our O-line can dominate. But against teams with a complete front 7, Hunter needs to be in the backfield. His speed and ability to squeeze through the smallest holes is the only way we are going to generate a run game against a good front 7.

Speaking of that. Why the hell are they not using Hunter or Dixon?
Share 49ersWebzone