LISTEN: Reacting to the 49ers Drafting Ricky Pearsall →

There are 223 users in the forums

POLL: If Alex had started the Rams game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online

POLL: If Alex had started the Rams game...

Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by SJniner7:
53% of you are very entertaining... Alex sucks, period... He proved it once again with several costly mistakes near the end of the game (i.e. fumble, and taking a sack)

The 49ers had 5 guys blocking 4 Rams and couldn't even give him 3 seconds...and how is that Alex' fault? Chris Long runs right around Anthony Davis for a strip sack. AD didn't even slow him down. OL protection was spotty all game long.

Once again, if you only watch the guy with the ball in his hands you miss out on all the rest of the game.

The protection was not great, but that coupled with Alex's terrible pocket presence, is a recipe for disaster!
This argument is pointless, and we would've lost either way. If Alex had played in the loss today, there would be people pointing back to the last Rams matchup and fuming that Troy would've won the game, too.

[ Edited by norcal831 on Dec 26, 2010 at 21:48:43 ]
  • dj43
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
We win by a small margin, 1-3 points.

I am fine with the loss as the worst thing that could have happened to this team would be to make the playoffs and drop to the #21 pick.

Still, it is obvious that Alex is the better QB. Troy was just bad today. His lack of accuracy is the reason Baltimore went with Flacco.

They are both gone next year...so everyone should be happy.
How hilarious. 6 Seasons of suck from Alex Smith, and some of you still can't see that he's garbage. Laughable.
  • dj43
53% of you are very entertaining... Alex sucks, period... He proved it once again with several costly mistakes near the end of the game (i.e. fumble, and taking a sack)

The 49ers had 5 guys blocking 4 Rams and couldn't even give him 3 seconds...and how is that Alex' fault? Chris Long runs right around Anthony Davis for a strip sack. AD didn't even slow him down. OL protection was spotty all game long.

Once again, if you only watch the guy with the ball in his hands you miss out on all the rest of the game.

The protection was not great, but that coupled with Alex's terrible pocket presence, is a recipe for disaster!
There was nothing wrong with his pocket presence today. He stepped up and made two very good throws when the backside was closing. On the last sack he moved forward expecting the OL to continue pushing the defenders to the outside, which is what they are trained to do, but instead the OL collapsed and he was sacked. Of course it would have helped it someone had come clear between the zones but we have seen the receivers to be incapable of that.
Same result.
LOL @ 58% currently thinking we would have won.

Alex Smith has a better completion percentage than Troy Smith, but it's because he constantly goes to the check-down option. He sometimes goes to the check-down so quickly that it actually seems as though that was the plan for the play the whole time. Put simply, he not only refuses to take risks for a big play, but he makes no effort to keep a play alive (most of the time). When his first option isn't open (and I mean "open" by college standards) he goes to the short check-down for about a 3-5 yard gain. He'll occasionally make a nice throw, but what QB have any of you ever seen that never tossed some nice passes in the NFL? The key is consistency, and Alex lacks it.

Run - Run - Check Down - Punt.

Troy Smith has proven himself to be inaccurate and flustered in the pocket. Alex has the same issues, though. They've both proven they suck. I used to think Troy was better, but now I'm thinking otherwise because neither is an improvement over the other. We've seen Troy look bad, we've seen Alex look just as bad. We need a real QB to win these games. Plain and simple.
Originally posted by D_Niner:
We lose anyway - Alex sucks on the road!

This.

Alex is never the problem, or even a part of the problem. EVER.

If he fumbles, it's the line's fault. If he throws an interception, it's the receiver's fault. If he rips ass and forgets to keep it silent, it's on the taco shop that sold him the burrito.
where is the got our asses whooped by f**king ton choice, Alex Smith is awful, that gameplan was awful and the idiot who approved that gameplan is gone!

he woulda won and proved all the haters wrong!!!! he's gonna be a great qb one day you'll see!!!

oh wait sorry im hallucinating
Originally posted by WestCoast:
he woulda won and proved all the haters wrong!!!! he's gonna be a great qb one day you'll see!!!

oh wait sorry im hallucinating

We got a simple drug policy here in the webzone, rule one:
Don't hide divide it!, there is no rule two!

Brotha I want some of what you been smoking!
i dont care if alex is back or not....i'm glad troy started and was awful...and i'm glad what happened happened cuz it ensured sing's fate....that was all that i cared about coming into this game...no more samurai clamps heading into next season!!!! Go 9ers...Jed make the fans and uncle eddie proud!!!
Originally posted by BringBackTO:
SF still gets raped

If it's inevitable, lay back and enjoy it. ~ Bobby Knight
hard to say seems how he didn't start. One thing for sure is that he sure as heck would have done a lot better than Troy Smith did. only 7 completions in 3.5 quarters of football
Share 49ersWebzone