There are 116 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Why Starting Troy Makes the Most Sense

Originally posted by jalapeno49:
#1 The decision to keep Alex has already been made. 6yrs is more than enough time to settle in despite #6 different OC's. Life isn't always fair. Get over it and let's move on. #2 Troy "lit up" the lambs big time last meeting. He's the 10,000lb elephant in the room until he proves otherwise. #3 This game is one and done, and Troy has proven that he can manage a game very well when he had to (I happen to believe the coaches ramped him up a bit too quickly, which led to bad decisions and ill-timed throws). #4 I like Troy's pocket presence and escapability.

I would also keep Troy as a mid-term (3yrs) backup to serve as mentor and #2 because he's a natural leader.

Disagree. Troy just does not possess the same intelligence Alex does. Alex earned his degree in 2 1/2 years. I do not believe Troy even earned a degree? Perhaps in ~~~girl watching?
if anyone has proven that smarts mean absolutely nothing when it comes to being an NFL player, it's Alex Smith, followed closely by Kwame Harris.
  • SFGem
  • Veteran
Originally posted by benny19421:
#1 The decision to keep Alex has already been made. 6yrs is more than enough time to settle in despite #6 different OC's. Life isn't always fair. Get over it and let's move on. #2 Troy "lit up" the lambs big time last meeting. He's the 10,000lb elephant in the room until he proves otherwise. #3 This game is one and done, and Troy has proven that he can manage a game very well when he had to (I happen to believe the coaches ramped him up a bit too quickly, which led to bad decisions and ill-timed throws). #4 I like Troy's pocket presence and escapability.

I would also keep Troy as a mid-term (3yrs) backup to serve as mentor and #2 because he's a natural leader.

Disagree. Troy just does not possess the same intelligence Alex does. Alex earned his degree in 2 1/2 years. I do not believe Troy even earned a degree? Perhaps in ~~~girl watching?
wow i guess the alexcuses will never end.

we're talking about football here not brain surgery. so what if alex had a 4.0 gpa or graduated in 2 years. alex can't play football and troy is a baller. i can't wait to read everyones comments swinging from troy's nuts once he beats the rams for the second time.

Alex is intelligent, not when it comes to playing quarterback though. Vince Young is dumb as anything, yet he has won more games than Alex. Michael Vick is not the most intelligent person out there either, yet he produces a lot of QB postition.
so the 49ers can win out and force the issue to make the playoffs with a tiebreaker within the division. making it easier for Mike Singletary to keep his job. also, bringing joy to the Dorks to keep a numbnut of a coach yet forecasting another miserable NFL season next yr and beyond.
I really think that starting Troy is going to lose this game... Then again Alex could easily lose it as well I guess. I'm wondering if the play-action will still work without Gore? I hope I'm Wrong, but If the Rams keep him in the pocket he is done. I hope I'm wrong.
Originally posted by wysiwyg:
Originally posted by theninermaniac:
must be affirmative action

So wrong yet soooo funny.
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
if anyone has proven that smarts mean absolutely nothing when it comes to being an NFL player, it's Alex Smith, followed closely by Kwame Harris.

LMFAO.... 1st rd waste #1 & 2
Originally posted by dtcomposer:
I really think that starting Troy is going to lose this game... Then again Alex could easily lose it as well I guess. I'm wondering if the play-action will still work without Gore? I hope I'm Wrong, but If the Rams keep him in the pocket he is done. I hope I'm wrong.

We have one of the top elite all purpose backs in Brian Westbrook....we will be fine. Look for Crabtree and Westbrook to have BIG games...

Plus, I said it before and I will say it again .....When was the last big ROAD game Alex won? In Seattle I'll bet. That's A LONG TIME!!!!! What have you done for us recently Alex?

Troy is the no brain starter here. He has the ability to extend the play and not get sacked. All I can think of and get FURIOUS every time is the Dopey play Alex made getting sacked in the Eagles game and it went 6 the other way.

[ Edited by sc49ers22 on Dec 23, 2010 at 19:18:49 ]
Poor Man's Vick.
Originally posted by sc49ers22:

We have one of the top elite all purpose backs in Brian Westbrook....we will be fine. Look for Crabtree and Westbrook to have BIG games...

Plus, I said it before and I will say it again .....When was the last big ROAD game Alex won? In Seattle I'll bet. That's A LONG TIME!!!!! What have you done for us recently Alex?

Troy is the no brain starter here. He has the ability to extend the play and not get sacked. All I can think of and get FURIOUS every time is the Dopey play Alex made getting sacked in the Eagles game and it went 6 the other way.

So in other words..."Troy Smith is a good QB only because Alex is a bad QB." Great logic...
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
Originally posted by sc49ers22:

So in other words..."Troy Smith is a good QB only because Alex is a bad QB." Great logic...

Yeah....that's EXACTLY what I said...
Glad it's only 2 more games left. I want to see this era of Niner football wiped from the face of the earth.

Originally posted by SFGem:

wow i guess the alexcuses will never end.

we're talking about football here not brain surgery. so what if alex had a 4.0 gpa or graduated in 2 years. alex can't play football and troy is a baller. i can't wait to read everyones comments swinging from troy's nuts once he beats the rams for the second time.

Troy is just like Alex. Through the 4-5 games he's played this year, he's tucked and run it too soon instead of relying on his vision and reads. He pulls it down too fast and starts running with it instead of hanging in the pocket, making the correct read, and throwing it on target.

Saying that, I would like to give Troy one offseason to learn the offense and get the start Week 1 in 2011 while we draft a QB in the 2nd or 3rd round of next year's draft. Groom that QB and then we'll have our QB of the future. To me, this is the best plan of action. If Troy come into his own, then we have our Quarter of the Future. If not, we've got the rookie (hopefully one will prevail at least worthy of a starting spot).

~Dann~
Ace,
Troy vs. Rams - 17-28 for 356yds, 1td, no INT's with longest pass for 65yds.

Alex 2010 - 2wins - 7 losses, 58% rating on turf, coming off another terrible game when it mattered.

I think we have to go with the guy that beat the Rams by playing near error free fb. Alex had a real tough game vs. the Chargers and his confidence may be in question. Mine would if I had to get rid of the ball in 2 secs and my OC wouldn't change my drop or move the pocket.

Alex is 4-1 all time against the Rams.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home