LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 210 users in the forums

How much of this season is on our O-Line?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by 9erfan4life:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by nickbradley:
We all want to blame Sing, but how much of this season is on:

1. starting two Rookies on the O-line (can't think of a team that ever had success doing that)

2. losing starting center for the season

3. losing starting left tackle for most of season

With a healthy, experienced offensive line in 2011, we may just very well dominate people up front, regardless of who is HC and who is at QB. I expect Anthony Davis to be much better next year, and Iupati will probably be a pro bowler next year (bank on it).

Our O-line was dominated against KC and Tampa, I don't think we'll lose in the trenches like that in 2011.

Due to those factors, I expect Singletary to be back in 2011 IF we win our remaining two games, regardless of whether we make the playoffs or not...although we will probably make the playoffs if we win our two remaining games (highly unlikely that SEA beats Tampa AND

I don't think starting 2 rookies affected us that much as Iupati has been like an anchor in the run and has played as advertised.

The problem is the decision to start Rachal and I think he's the main reason why Anthony Davis isn't getting much help. Rachal has been the weakest link on this OL by far. It almost seems as though he needs so much help that Davis ends up on his own more often.

what?

fo sho staring two rookies affected this offense
the biggest issue was losing Heitmann Baas has be ok at best he was horrible against SD

so you have a backup center calling the plays he's not 100% sure on to two rookies who's not 100% sure what he's saying

nlf.com
OL Stats
2010 ranked 27th
2009 ranked 22nd

qb hits
2010 ranked 29th
2009 ranked 20th

You can't say Iupati is playing worse at LG compared to Baas last year. Also, Staley goes out but Iupati is still consistent.

Now let us move to the middle. There is no proof that Baas does not understand the calls. As I noticed, there were far more blown protections last year up the middle compared to this year where the majority of the pressure has been at the edges (aside from when Rachal has that every other crap game) more than anything. Baas appears to do just fine when Snyder is at RG.

Now let us move to the right. Anthony Davis gets no help yet the entire right side played VERY well along with the entire line when Rachal does not play. Whenever Snyder has played RG, our OL looks VERY nice. Why is this? Could it be that Snyder knows his assignments much better and that he needs less help and he can work much better with Anthony Davis? The RG/FT combo keep getting crushed on stunts, especially early in the season. That responsibility is on both of them.

Summary: Snyder at RG = good blocking, Rachal at RG = inconsistent s**t blocking

We can add center to position of need in the off season. Jimmy Johnson said Sunday that the CBA would likely be worked out before the Superbowl according to his sources in the players union and NFL front offices.

Center, yes, but not because Baas is not performing well. Coaches and beat writers have stated Baas has played well. Now imagine how much he will be settled in after is first year at Center in the NFL. I would add a Center to develop depending whether or not we can retain Baas. We may need to acquire another bakup Tackle. Simms can only play so much longer and if either one of our Tackles gets injured next year, there is no replacement.
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Originally posted by NatralBrnThrila:
It's easy to look at those guys and lay a lot of this season's failures at their feet, but look closer and see who's really responsible. EVERYBODY knew that starting 2 rookies would be a problem, especially early, and it was: hardly the players fault that one played out as predicted. EVERYBODY knows Rachal is the weak link pass blocking, and he is: he doesn't make the decision to start himself every week. Sprinkle in the injuries we picked up this year and you have the perfect sh*t storm with Singletary at the eye of it yet again.

My sh*t is rolling uphill on this one and it all starts with Singletary. These players, once again have been set up to fail with an absolute dumb sh*t at the helm, and the higher up you go in the chain of command, the uglier it gets. There are starters that I don't like (as players) on this team i.e: Clements, Haralson, Ginn, Rachal and Norris; as well as a few that I don't like on a personal level i.e: Goldson, Franklin and Crabtree; but none of these guys have consistently been put in a position to succeed on this team, so ultimately I will always come back to coaching, management and my personal favorite, ownership.

How would have two rookies been coached-up to play better, along with the injuries to Heitmann and Staley?

Sorry, not really sure what you're asking so my answer might not be what you're looking for.

I think you're getting at: how can I blame the coaches for the injuries that happened and how could I expect the rookies to have been coached up quicker. Simple answer to both: I don't.

But the way I see it, Singletary knew going into the preseason games that our center was out and we'd be trying out someone new. Couple this with the inevitable rookie learning curve that he also knew was ahead, and it's clear that Singletary made the choice very early on to trade success on offense for he opportunity to get the growing pains over and done with. The fact that he keeps Rachal playing next to a player that's already having a hell of a time adjusting only speaks volumes to me that he has no clue or sense of urgency in regards to what we're faced with this season. We've got our balls to the wall, and have for about 2 months. Singletary had to of seen it coming given the circumstances he imposed on this team when he chose not to adjust to them. I suppose in that regard, I do blame Sing for the injuries and rookies because he chose not to adjust his roster or game plans whatsoever in response to what the team needed to succeed. Sure he'd bend a little once we were already behind on the scoreboard, but he'd always revert back the next week. If he didn't see trouble over the horizon then he's even dumber than I think he is, which is a scary and equally humorous notion in of itself.

He's unwilling to divert from "the vision" or even adjust it slightly, and it's killing us every week. The fact that we're still in a playoff race is pretty much just funny to me right now, as is the prospect of Singletary being here next year. I'm sure the offensive line will be a lot better equipped to execute his donkey ball next year, and maybe it will be enough to win some significant games next year; but that doesn't change the fact that Singletary f**ked the dog this year, and it's only through sheer fortune that he has a chance of succeeding as a HC (if you want to call it success). He has a hell of a lot to prove to people before they'll ever even consider giving him a pass for this season, and that odyssey starts on sunday. Could be a short ride, so don't blink.
[ Edited by NatralBrnThrila on Dec 20, 2010 at 3:23 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone