LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 280 users in the forums

How much of this season is on our O-Line?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by AKfanster:
Starting 2 rooks, you expect a certain amount of issues along the line. You almost have to give them both a pass as far as performance goes.

Then you have the injuries to Heitmann and Staley. Add in Rachal's horrible play and you have the current abomination that is the Niner O-line.

Speaking of Rachal, why is that guy untouchable? He is easily the worst player on the line, INCLUDING the rooks.

even w/ all the problems, we are still an average O-line (see link below)...we're not Chicago or Arizona.

I think we're a top-notch O-line in 2011.

http://footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol
everyone has played a part in the awful season we've had, but no one more than Sing
Originally posted by daWest:
everyone has played a part in the awful season we've had, but no one more than Sing

How many losses are on Sing personally?
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Originally posted by AKfanster:
Starting 2 rooks, you expect a certain amount of issues along the line. You almost have to give them both a pass as far as performance goes.

Then you have the injuries to Heitmann and Staley. Add in Rachal's horrible play and you have the current abomination that is the Niner O-line.

Speaking of Rachal, why is that guy untouchable? He is easily the worst player on the line, INCLUDING the rooks.

even w/ all the problems, we are still an average O-line (see link below)...we're not Chicago or Arizona.

I think we're a top-notch O-line in 2011.

http://footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol

Ya, that's great. Lets take on the "at least we aren't the worst" mentallity. There is way too much invested in this group for them to play this bad.

This O-line should be dominating. Nothing but 1st and 2nd round draft picks, but they get owned almost every week. Staley is WAY overrated and should be a RT not a LT. Rachal shouldn't even be considered as a starter, yet there he is every week.
Originally posted by ZRF80:
nope.......not gonna happen

Sing is out........Alex is out........McNabb abd Gruden are in

if i remember correctly wasn't gruden going to pick a.smith if we didn't in 05 when he was with the buc's.you may find if gruden is HC smith he may want smith to stay.
Originally posted by Aussie_Niner:

if i remember correctly wasn't gruden going to pick a.smith if we didn't in 05 when he was with the buc's.you may find if gruden is HC smith he may want smith to stay.

Correct, you are, and I was thinking the same. Gruden this season was still high on Alex and mentioned how many of his struggles were not of his own doing. He may very well feel good about keeping AS and working with him.

Wouldn't that be hysterical to see the fallout from fans?
Originally posted by 24plus25er:

Why would we want a washed up McNabb and a unproven Jon Gruden, who got fired for underachieving in Tampa Bay.

and what would your plan be ?

Let's start by hiring a REAL gm, one who is actually connected in the NFL and knows a thing or two about drafting. Because people can blame Sing and Alex all they want (and they do deserve a blunt of the blow for this lousy season) but we are consistently at the bottom because we consistently draft poorly. Take a team like Indianapolis who drafts very well despite winning 12+ games for nearly a decade, they still produce pro bowl caliber players with low draft picks. With that being said I would make an offer to Chris Polian (son of legendary NFL GM Bill Polian) to step out of his old mans shadow in Indy and come rebuild the golden standard of success in the NFL. We were the first NFL team to five championships and with a guy like Polian at the helm we can be the first to seven. Polian's brother Brian is an assistant coach and special teams coordinator at Stanford with a defensive background, he has been learning from Vic Fangio on how to run a defense. I don't think he's ready to be a NFL DC but he could have him on the staff as a prodigy.

I'll tell you a guy I really like is Colts offensive coordinator Clyde Christensen, he has been with the Colts since 2002, so he's seen a good deal of Peyton's growth and the right way to develop a qb, properly game plan and run a effective offense. He has learned from some of the best; Tony Dungy, Tom Moore etc. Pair Clyde with a strong defensive coordinator and I think you have no worries at all.
Originally posted by daWest:

How many losses are on Sing personally?

IMO...all of them....run, run, pass, punt and this dictatorship has been our downfall all year

blowout loss @ SEA week one...lack of preperation, they said so themselves, not to mention Sing traded 3 players to SEA who also brought in McLoughan after his mysterious departure...imo, thats all on sing

week 2 vs NO....horrible clock management allowed brees to drive down with ease for the game-winning FG

blowout loss @ KC week 3....again lack of preperation and also the inability to make adjustments againts KC's offense

week 4 @ ATL....run, run, pass punt killed us once we went up 14-0, and it lossed us the game in the final 2 minutes

PHI wk 5...we turned the ball over 5 times...well coached teams arent this careless with the ball

week 7 @ CAR....replace shaun hill with david carr?!?!?!? wtf is that!?!?!?!

vs TB week 11...still not making any adjustments when other teams do...same old story

@ GB week 13...outcoached and outplayed by a superior team

week 16 @ SD....playcall on the goal line? that was sing...total collapse from that point on and inability to make adjustments...rivers carved us up...

again i just feel well coached teams dont have nearly as many assignment breakdowns...well coached teams can make adjustments...well coached teams make good personnel decisions...and well coached teams win

i suppose yer gonna ask me who gets credits for our wins next...well i must say that i'd credit the opposition's coach for our wins
Nick, I read your chart, and you are correct if you are talking about run blocking. But when it comes to pass protection, the same chart says we are 29th, almost last. And it only looks at sack %. When you consider the effects of pressure in terms of hurried and pressured throws, we clearly are about the worst. Pressure clearly affects QB performance. If it did not, teams wouldn't bother to rush the passer. Why do we keep saying we need a pass rusher?
  • dj43

Alex Smith has outplayed Donovan McNabb in 2010...pretty silly comment.

In what exactly ? the 2 point lead in QB rating ?

Smith leads McNabb in rating by 2+ points, also 2+% better completion average. McNabb has thrown more INTs that TDs. Smith has thrown more TDs than INTs.

Can't believe we are actually comparing these two because as many troubles as Smith has had, McNabb has been terrible this season.

Yes...why would you swap a 26 year old for a 34-year old, who both produce the same...and McNabb plays for an elite play-caller and has played in that system his ENTIRE CAREER?

Because McNabb has a proven track record. Smith does not. Mcnabb is a probowler. Smith is not. McNabb has excelled in offenses where he had little to no offensive weapons. Smith has not. Shall I go on ?

No because McNabb is done. Smith sucks but so does Mcsuck
  • dj43
Originally posted by oldman9er:

Correct, you are, and I was thinking the same. Gruden this season was still high on Alex and mentioned how many of his struggles were not of his own doing. He may very well feel good about keeping AS and working with him.

Gruden is the one guy that I believe could not only turn Smith's career around, he could also sell it to the majority of fans.
  • ZRF80
Originally posted by oldman9er:

Can you name one quarterback that Gruden hasnt been high on this season ? He's in the booth........his job is to critique players. He even commended Jamarcus Russell.......doesnt mean he wants him to play for his squad. And sure, Gruden MAY have wanted to draft Smith back in 05, but things have changed drastically since then, just in case you havent noticed....

But keep dreaming like Ceadder.............
  • ZRF80
Originally posted by dj43:

Smith leads McNabb in rating by 2+ points, also 2+% better completion average. McNabb has thrown more INTs that TDs. Smith has thrown more TDs than INTs.

Can't believe we are actually comparing these two because as many troubles as Smith has had, McNabb has been terrible this season.

There's a difference between a failed season and a failed CAREER. Washington still has the 9th best passing offense in the league despite McNabb's bad season. SF has..........????
  • dj43
Originally posted by excelsior:
Nick, I read your chart, and you are correct if you are talking about run blocking. But when it comes to pass protection, the same chart says we are 29th, almost last. And it only looks at sack %. When you consider the effects of pressure in terms of hurried and pressured throws, we clearly are about the worst. Pressure clearly affects QB performance. If it did not, teams wouldn't bother to rush the passer. Why do we keep saying we need a pass rusher?
Clearly the OL has been the weak link this season. All the experts predicted the 49ers would struggle mightily in the first half of the season due to the inexperience of the rookies. Most forecasts predicted 2-4 or 1-5. Then Heitmann goes down and things get worse. Things got even worse yet when Rachal continued his poor play. Now there is still no continuity and it is a major reason the team showed so poorly against TB and San Diego. Those games may not have been winnable anyway but when you get dominated on the OL, you are going to lose more than you win.

"The game is won or lost in the trenches..."
Share 49ersWebzone