There are 95 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Why was Troy pulled from the starting QB spot?

Troy was pulled because Sing cares more about validating his preseason belief in Alex than he does about winning.

Two biggest reasons to can Sing

1. Chose Jimmy Raye over Martz
2. Watered down our QB depth by replacing Hill with Carr, and doing it intentionally to give Alex less 'competition'. By the way, Alex has missed about two full seasons due to injury and guess what, got injured again this year.... but hey, who needs depth at the game's most important position right?
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Troy was pulled because Sing cares more about validating his preseason belief in Alex than he does about winning.

2. Watered down our QB depth by replacing Hill with Carr, and doing it intentionally to give Alex less 'competition'. By the way, Alex has missed about two full seasons due to injury and guess what, got injured again this year.... but hey, who needs depth at the game's most important position right?

That's one of the most ridiculous statements I've ever heard a coach make. Like seriously.
Originally posted by silkyjohnson:

That's one of the most ridiculous statements I've ever heard a coach make. Like seriously.

Just curious, what do you think the reason behind getting rid of Hill was? He was a veteran, a great locker room presence as well as a winner. Why do you honestly believe he got rid of a player like that and then turned around and brought in Carr? Again, not trying to argue, I'm just curious of your opinion the matter because it's mind boggling to me
Originally posted by Sims84:

Just curious, what do you think the reason behind getting rid of Hill was? He was a veteran, a great locker room presence as well as a winner. Why do you honestly believe he got rid of a player like that and then turned around and brought in Carr? Again, not trying to argue, I'm just curious of your opinion the matter because it's mind boggling to me

It's gotta be what he said, what else could it be?
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran

How did he suck? was it his stats or the play calling? If it is stats, Alex has sucked in damn near every game of his career If it is play calling (coaching like you say) then why is he on the bench when he has only started 5 games and has more wins than Alex? In theory, Troy ALWAYS beats the teams he is suppose to, Alex doesn't

He sucked because of his limitations. Simply put, his height. Once contained in the pocket, it becomes very difficult for the vertically challenged quarterback to see passing lanes. Our offensive line is young and inexperienced... and basically suck most of the time. They don't give Troy passing lanes or keep defenders hands down, so Troy holds the ball looking to make a play because he of his personality, and ultimately gets sacked because he took too much time... or other bad things happen depending on if he actually throws the ball.

Given a full offseason to work around those limitations, Troy might be a good quarterback. Unfortunately, time travel isn't an option at this point. Get on that would you? Make it snappy.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran

Again, get on that time travel thing. I want to see what happens if Hill starts '08 from game one!

Do it!

I'm sorry, I thought you were saying that statement that 49erfaitful6 posted was ridiculous. I agree, for a coach to do such a thing is just unexplainable
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
for a coach to do such a thing is just unexplainable

Are you really trying to figure out what's going on in Singletary's head?

Let me help. I'll illustrate it for you.

Originally posted by Wodwo:
for a coach to do such a thing is just unexplainable

Are you really trying to figure out what's going on in Singletary's head?

Let me help. I'll illustrate it for you.

::sigh:: this is so sad but yet so true

I'm sorry, I thought you were saying that statement that 49erfaitful6 posted was ridiculous. I agree, for a coach to do such a thing is just unexplainable

No, lol. I thought I was clear that I was addressing what Sing said. When I heard that I was in disbelief but at the same time not really. In disbelief because well I don't think I've ever heard anyone say that in the 15 years I've been watching football. But not really because it sounds like something only Sing would say.
As bad as Alex is (and you don't have much argument from me that we need improvment at qb) he is twice a good as Troy.
Because the team has so many other signficant issues, it really doesn't matter who's at QB. Singletary realized the league had figured out Troy had serious limitations...and whatever polish was on his apple had tarnished. He had to do something...and for a game, it worked. I'd say whether it was Troy or Alex at QB in San Diego, it wouldn't have mattered a bit. So, it comes down to this...neither guy can keep company with Rivers, Rodgers, or even Josh Freeman in terms of what they can do for their teams. Let's face it, much as Alex has been the whipping boy for many of you, there are many issues on this team. Very inconsistent OL, receivers who seeminly can't get separation against the better teams, drops, DL that wasn't nearly as good as most of us thought, porous secondary, spotty special teams...that's enough to get any team a 5-9 record. Top all that off with a head coach who really doesn't have a clue...no true GM...no identity...well, it's not hard to understand why the team is as crappy as they've shown this season. Wholesale changes are a must...and that includes the QB position...time to clean house.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Because the team has so many other signficant issues, it really doesn't matter who's at QB. Singletary realized the league had figured out Troy had serious limitations...and whatever polish was on his apple had tarnished. He had to do something...and for a game, it worked. I'd say whether it was Troy or Alex at QB in San Diego, it wouldn't have mattered a bit. So, it comes down to this...neither guy can keep company with Rivers, Rodgers, or even Josh Freeman in terms of what they can do for their teams. Let's face it, much as Alex has been the whipping boy for many of you, there are many issues on this team. Very inconsistent OL, receivers who seeminly can't get separation against the better teams, drops, DL that wasn't nearly as good as most of us thought, porous secondary, spotty special teams...that's enough to get any team a 5-9 record. Top all that off with a head coach who really doesn't have a clue...no true GM...no identity...well, it's not hard to understand why the team is as crappy as they've shown this season. Wholesale changes are a must...and that includes the QB position...time to clean house.

The same goes for the seattle game. I say it wouldn't have mattered if Troy was QB when we played seattle. Seattle is not a good team and Troy has beat all 3 teams that weren't good. He might not of had as good of a game as Alex did, but the way our defense played against them, Troy would of made ENOUGH plays to pick up a win. Neither of them had a shot vs San Diego

Sing wanted to show he was decisive, simple as that.
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by SFGem:
Troy Smith is 10x the qb alex is. I don't care what any of you say anymore about Alex. You alex supporters are delusional. alex smith is a sorry excuse for a qb.

Troy would have given us a shot to win against SD. period. alex didn't do s**t. i gaurantee troy wouldn't have been stopped 4 inches from the goal line.

You are correct Troy would not have been stopped 4 inches short of the goal line.

He would have been stopped 4 YARDS short of the goal line. Troy is MUCH slower than Alex. He would have had not chance to reach the goal line.

Cant make that comparison. Two different players, two different mindsets. Alex decided to take off and got stopped. Who is to say Troy would of took off? It is a known fact he takes WAAY more chances than Alex has and he still produced less turnovers. How about that 2nd down and goal play where Alex rolled left, bought some time and then threw it away? Who is to say Troy Smith would of threw it away instead of throwing it to the back of the endzone where he had a man Crabtree I believe) running wide open along the back line and giving him a chance to make a play? Can't make that comparison.
Yes you can. Z made the comment that Troy would have gotten in on that run. His statement presumes the fact that Troy would have run and would have scored

The fact is he isn't as fast as Alex so would not have gotten as close Alex did.