LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 246 users in the forums

Why was Troy pulled from the starting QB spot?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Sims84:
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Because the team has so many other signficant issues, it really doesn't matter who's at QB. Singletary realized the league had figured out Troy had serious limitations...and whatever polish was on his apple had tarnished. He had to do something...and for a game, it worked. I'd say whether it was Troy or Alex at QB in San Diego, it wouldn't have mattered a bit. So, it comes down to this...neither guy can keep company with Rivers, Rodgers, or even Josh Freeman in terms of what they can do for their teams. Let's face it, much as Alex has been the whipping boy for many of you, there are many issues on this team. Very inconsistent OL, receivers who seeminly can't get separation against the better teams, drops, DL that wasn't nearly as good as most of us thought, porous secondary, spotty special teams...that's enough to get any team a 5-9 record. Top all that off with a head coach who really doesn't have a clue...no true GM...no identity...well, it's not hard to understand why the team is as crappy as they've shown this season. Wholesale changes are a must...and that includes the QB position...time to clean house.

The same goes for the seattle game. I say it wouldn't have mattered if Troy was QB when we played seattle. Seattle is not a good team and Troy has beat all 3 teams that weren't good. He might not of had as good of a game as Alex did, but the way our defense played against them, Troy would of made ENOUGH plays to pick up a win. Neither of them had a shot vs San Diego

Troy had a big part in beating the Rams (who are getting good) but he didn't "beat" Denver or Arizona. He didn't play well in either of those games regardless of revisionist history, but we still won.
Troy is not as good as Alex, or as ready to play in the NFL. The man who drafted him said as much. There are bigger problems than QB on this team, we need another QB, but we need secondary help more.
  • hb123
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
Originally posted by mayo49:
Originally posted by DANADA:
Originally posted by Adman:
Originally posted by fly15:
cause Sing is an !diot

i was just thinking that
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Troy is not as good as Alex, or as ready to play in the NFL. The man who drafted him said as much. There are bigger problems than QB on this team, we need another QB, but we need secondary help more.

As you are one of maybe a dozen truly respectable and intelligent posters here, I'd like to ask your take on this.

Do you feel our secondary failures are due to scheme... personnel talent... or lack of pass rush? Could you apply a % of blame to what you perceive to be the degree of blame for each?

... thanks.

( and yeah, we definitely need talented youth at CB, so that's not why I am asking )
[ Edited by oldman9er on Dec 19, 2010 at 10:03 AM ]
Originally posted by oldman9er:

As you are one of maybe a dozen truly respectable and intelligent posters here, I'd like to ask your take on this.

Do you feel our secondary failures are due to scheme... personnel talent... or lack of pass rush? Could you apply a % of blame to what you perceive to be the degree of blame for each?

... thanks.

( and yeah, we definitely need talented youth at CB, so that's not why I am asking )

I'll answer even though you didn't ask me. I think it has to be scheme. Lack of passrush doesn't help but this scheme where they just let everyone open underneath 20 yards has not and will not ever work.
Originally posted by Gavintech:

... thanks.

I'll answer even though you didn't ask me. I think it has to be scheme. Lack of passrush doesn't help but this scheme where they just let everyone open underneath 20 yards has not and will not ever work.

Glad you did respond, as the bold applies to you as well. No surprise, I agree with your assessment.
Troy smith shouldn't even be discussed in our option for a starting QB
  • ZRF80
Originally posted by ace130:

nor should Alex Smith...
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Sims84:
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Because the team has so many other signficant issues, it really doesn't matter who's at QB. Singletary realized the league had figured out Troy had serious limitations...and whatever polish was on his apple had tarnished. He had to do something...and for a game, it worked. I'd say whether it was Troy or Alex at QB in San Diego, it wouldn't have mattered a bit. So, it comes down to this...neither guy can keep company with Rivers, Rodgers, or even Josh Freeman in terms of what they can do for their teams. Let's face it, much as Alex has been the whipping boy for many of you, there are many issues on this team. Very inconsistent OL, receivers who seeminly can't get separation against the better teams, drops, DL that wasn't nearly as good as most of us thought, porous secondary, spotty special teams...that's enough to get any team a 5-9 record. Top all that off with a head coach who really doesn't have a clue...no true GM...no identity...well, it's not hard to understand why the team is as crappy as they've shown this season. Wholesale changes are a must...and that includes the QB position...time to clean house.

The same goes for the seattle game. I say it wouldn't have mattered if Troy was QB when we played seattle. Seattle is not a good team and Troy has beat all 3 teams that weren't good. He might not of had as good of a game as Alex did, but the way our defense played against them, Troy would of made ENOUGH plays to pick up a win. Neither of them had a shot vs San Diego

Troy had a big part in beating the Rams (who are getting good) but he didn't "beat" Denver or Arizona. He didn't play well in either of those games regardless of revisionist history, but we still won.

This is the truth.

I don't think the Seahawks are as bad as the Cardinals, who are the only team we beat after Troy Smith's limitations were exposed. Troy did not have a good game against the Cardinals. His passer rating against the Cardinals was actually worse than Alex's against the Chargers. We beat Arizona 27-6. We beat Seattle 40-21.

I don't know that Troy does beat Seattle. 130.9 passer rating with 3 TDs is not something you can just assume is repeated by any quarterback. Remember... Troy has not thrown more than 1 TD in a regular season game in his career. As bad as the Seahawks pass defense is, they have the front seven to keep him in the pocket.

I'm saying this as a guy that likes Troy and his potential. I want to keep the kid around next season. I just think he has too much working against him this season.

I hope he stays on the bench these last two games. Considering how often he's sacked, I'd rather protect his throwing arm.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran

... thanks.

Glad you did respond, as the bold applies to you as well. No surprise, I agree with your assessment.

As do I. Also, our safeties have been suspect. I don't know if we need to think about that position in a good scheme, though. They are a young group with some talent. It's crazy that Reggie Smith is still only 24.

Pass rush and dump the soft cover 4.

Do it!

Originally posted by Wodwo:

... thanks.

As do I. Also, our safeties have been suspect. I don't know if we need to think about that position in a good scheme, though. They are a young group with some talent. It's crazy that Reggie Smith is still only 24.

Pass rush and dump the soft cover 4.

Do it!

Manusky always dials up the soft cover zone because he knows that his personnel isn't that good in man to man. He can't have favorable matchups so he uses the team collectively in his scheme.
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by Shaj:
Do you agree with that move?

I don't think his play cost us the GB game at all. He had a perfect 50 yarder to Vernon Davis and he dropped it. He doesn't give up many turnovers like Alex Smith. I think it was his worst game he's had while starting for us but it didnt cost us the game at all. No one made plays. His worst game was an average game for Alex Smith.

The one thing I did notice is that I thought he would be a faster runner. But he is acually kind of slow. Alex Smith is much faster. I dont know why neither of them use this ability more.

Troy brings that swag and confidence. Alex brings nothing.

In terms of potential, Troy> Alex, but then so are 90% of the qb's in the NFL. I was also surprised that Troy is so slow. I've never seen a slow Black QB before. They are usually much more fast and elusive than white QBs. In particular though, he lacks the ability to accelerate quickly.

LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't think his play cost us the GB game at all. He had a perfect 50 yarder to Vernon Davis and he dropped it. He doesn't give up many turnovers like Alex Smith. I think it was his worst game he's had while starting for us but it didnt cost us the game at all. No one made plays. His worst game was an average game for Alex Smith.

The one thing I did notice is that I thought he would be a faster runner. But he is acually kind of slow. Alex Smith is much faster. I dont know why neither of them use this ability more.

Alex brings nothing? Really?

Can we lock this stupid thread or at least merge it with the Trolley?

~Ceadder
Originally posted by ZRF80:
Originally posted by ace130:

nor should Alex Smith...

How bout you ZRF since you're such an expert. Think you got something left in the tank or did you hit the Pub too many times building that spare tire?

I can't figure out who has the biggest wood for Alex, you or susweel. I swear if you guys were put in charge of a Moving Van and Alex was getting ready to cross the street a block away you guys would probably get in a fist fight to see who would have the privilege of driving the truck over him.

Can you please grow up. Oh wait that would mean you'd have to get a life.

~Ceadder

Because he sucks.
Share 49ersWebzone