LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 214 users in the forums

Why was Troy pulled from the starting QB spot?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by dmatt49:
in my opinion on this subject. that chargers game would have been totally different if

1. if we scored that td that alex ran or even punched it in on 4th down
2. if brooks would have intercepted that pass that hit him in his hands
3. delanie walker caught that perfect pass alex threw him, he could still be running
4. got that kick return for td from ted gin in the start of the 3rd quarter

if all of this things happened we had a good chance to win at least. but to our luck known of this things happened, so the final score we got blown out, again.

i think we should get a offensive minded head coach next season and keep alex smith and if mcnabb becomes available go after him hard and have alex as backup

yeaaaa let's replace Alex Smith with a QB that is over the hill and having a s**tty season all because of what he did with a great supporting cast and great coaches in PHL.
  • dj43
Originally posted by Norcal9erfan:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Originally posted by ZRF80:
Originally posted by ace130:
Troy smith shouldn't even be discussed in our option for a starting QB

nor should Alex Smith...

How bout you ZRF since you're such an expert. Think you got something left in the tank or did you hit the Pub too many times building that spare tire?

I can't figure out who has the biggest wood for Alex, you or susweel. I swear if you guys were put in charge of a Moving Van and Alex was getting ready to cross the street a block away you guys would probably get in a fist fight to see who would have the privilege of driving the truck over him.

Can you please grow up. Oh wait that would mean you'd have to get a life.

~Ceadder

Careful, Ceadder... don't let them tick you off to make it personal. That's what they want. You know... the big "T" word so often used on forums.

Ceadder was banned! Guess who's next??
Too bad. He was a very knowledgeable guy who allowed himself to get baited. The forum will be the lesser for his loss. He had very good insight into the game.

If by good insight you mean defending Alex Smith like he were the next coming of Payton Manning? Then yes. "Better than Phillip Rivers". Nuff said.

BTW... I'm sure he'll create another account and be back. I will say I wont miss seeing him and his signature for a while though:

~ RottenCheese
eh, he was a lot more than that but it isn't worth a big discussion over it.
so is Troy going to start against the rams?
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:

Like I said way back when... It doesn't matter who is at QB they both haven't been that great but they are both handicapped by out coaching. Personally I think #11 gives us the best shot to win but this team lacks mental toughness, it was evident in Seattle and in San Diego. VD is one of the leaders on the team but he is still growing up, we might want to take a page from KC and draft some team captains this offseason.
  • dj43

Nothing would surprise me but I think MJ will prevail and Alex will start.

Has there been a decision yet? I have not seen anything. Who's taking the snaps in practice?

Probably a game time decision so neither QB is prepared...

LB
Originally posted by leebert81:

Has there been a decision yet? I have not seen anything. Who's taking the snaps in practice?

Probably a game time decision so neither QB is prepared...

LB

This. This is a horrible time to be undecided on who should start for your team in the most important game of the season but hey, that is our coaching staff ladies and gentlemen
black
Originally posted by RonMexico:
black

Is this who you want or what you've heard?

LB
Originally posted by backontop:
in my opinion on this subject. that chargers game would have been totally different if

3. delanie walker caught that perfect pass alex threw him, he could still be running

if all of this things happened we had a good chance to win at least. but to our luck known of this things happened, so the final score we got blown out, again.

i think we should get a offensive minded head coach next season and keep alex smith and if mcnabb becomes available go after him hard and have alex as backup

yeaaaa let's replace Alex Smith with a QB that is over the hill and having a s**tty season all because of what he did with a great supporting cast and great coaches in PHL.
I'm not completely against the mcnabb argument, but we would have to run the WCO, or whatever it was they ran in philly. You see how s**tty he did trying to pick up the redskins playbook.

And mcnabb would have talent to work with here, in WAS he has nobody.

McNabb is done.

Interesting that Flynn was able to come in and do an excellent job in place of Rogers in GB against a very good team.

That is because they paid attention to their backups, gave them reps, coached them...their coach (not good enough for the Niners evidently) somehow knew that starting QBs do get hurt and you need a viable backup.

Also, he didn't see the need to acquire terrible backups and then hide them away someplace in order to protect Rogers's psyche.
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
Originally posted by backontop:

I'm not completely against the mcnabb argument, but we would have to run the WCO, or whatever it was they ran in philly. You see how s**tty he did trying to pick up the redskins playbook.

And mcnabb would have talent to work with here, in WAS he has nobody.

I don't get this. He has a better coaching staff/scheme, a better O-line (but just barely), his weapons are on par IMO (maybe not in talent, but the way they play) with Chris Cooley, Santana Moss, and Portis, and their Defense is better.
[ Edited by Gavintech on Dec 20, 2010 at 9:17 AM ]
Originally posted by carlgo:
McNabb is done.

Interesting that Flynn was able to come in and do an excellent job in place of Rogers in GB against a very good team.

That is because they paid attention to their backups, gave them reps, coached them...their coach (not good enough for the Niners evidently) somehow knew that starting QBs do get hurt and you need a viable backup.

You think they wanted him to leave?
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Originally posted by ZRF80:
Originally posted by ace130:
Troy smith shouldn't even be discussed in our option for a starting QB

nor should Alex Smith...

How bout you ZRF since you're such an expert. Think you got something left in the tank or did you hit the Pub too many times building that spare tire?

I can't figure out who has the biggest wood for Alex, you or susweel. I swear if you guys were put in charge of a Moving Van and Alex was getting ready to cross the street a block away you guys would probably get in a fist fight to see who would have the privilege of driving the truck over him.

Can you please grow up. Oh wait that would mean you'd have to get a life.

~Ceadder

Careful, Ceadder... don't let them tick you off to make it personal. That's what they want. You know... the big "T" word so often used on forums.

Ceadder was banned! Guess who's next??
Too bad. He was a very knowledgeable guy who allowed himself to get baited. The forum will be the lesser for his loss. He had very good insight into the game.

If by good insight you mean defending Alex Smith like he were the next coming of Payton Manning? Then yes. "Better than Phillip Rivers". Nuff said.

BTW... I'm sure he'll create another account and be back. I will say I wont miss seeing him and his signature for a while though:

~ RottenCheese
eh, he was a lot more than that but it isn't worth a big discussion over it.

That was a test. You passed with flying colors!

There was a time.... not really all THAT long ago, when draftee QBs typically spent a few years on the bench learning the system. Now they throw them into the mix five minutes out of college, change their head coaches and OCs like stop lights change their colors, and then they wonder why they don't seem to develop. Remember how Steve Young sucked the first few years he was in the league? And Terry Bradshaw....several years before he could complete even 50% of his passes or throw more TDs than interceptions. Even really good QBs can be ruined if played too soon... or else they seem to take forever to develop. There are exceptions like Rothlisburger or Manning.... but those are two guys out of a hundred... and they started with otherwise very good teams.

Alex is inconsistent and plays in fits and starts. Troy doesn't know enough, apparently, about the SF game. neither is very accurate, though in fairness, Troy is far more accurate than Alex for the number of snaps he's taken by comparison.

For whatever reason, Singletary can't seem to get this team's heads in the game. They make an incredible number of stupid, really stupid, basic mistakes.... then repeat them.....over and over and over. How many great plays have we seen gone awry this year because some numb nuts grabs a face mask nowhere near the play, or some highly-paid receiver or defensive back drops a ball that hits him right in the numbers. Then the team sits on the sideline and laughs it off. That's ALL on Singletary. Other (winning) coaches don't tolerate it and don't get it..... at least at nowhere near the Niner rate.

These guys simply do not execute. Three and out is acceptable to them.

They're down by two touchdowns late in the game on the other team's forty at third and one... and they punt. The other team runs it back ten or 15 yards and they end up with a net gain of ten to twenty yards but lose possession. Andy Lee is so good, they usually win the field position battle.... but never seem to score (it's really hard to when you give the other team the ball), while the other team doesn't seem to care about field position. They just move down the field from wherever they start.

They seldom use their big guns. Vernon Davis is one of the premier TEs in football, but he'll go whole halves without the ball being thrown to him. Then they throw one to him late in the game, he scores (too little too late), and you ask, "Why the hell haven't they hit shim seven or eight times previously?" What's up with that?

We've seen both Troy and Alex put on brilliant drives drives at times... but it only seems to happen when they are down so far they really don't have a prayer of coming all the way back. In the meantime, they get that way by being way too conservative most of the time. They often have a decent opening drive, get ahead a little, then settle into extreme conservatism until they are too far behind to get going again... whereupon they successfully open it up at the end one last time to score once just before time runs out when they need three scores to tie.

Bottom line.... these guys can't coach, and we really don't KNOW which (if either Troy or Alex) can be good because both have been mishandled from jump street.
Share 49ersWebzone