There are 301 users in the forums

Why does Singletary keep referring to the 49ers as a "Young Team"?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
He always says that we need to mature as a football team and we are a young team. Its not like we are made up of rookies. We have a lot of veterans on this team and a lot of the players on this team have played together for at least 3 years. I cant stand how he says this because he makes it seem like part of the reason why we are losing is because we are "Young".
its an excuse.
Singlexcuses...
Originally posted by NCommand:
Singlexcuses...

Because he can't say, "Yada, yada, yada.'
Originally posted by horsecore:
Singlexcuses...

Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Singlexcuses...

Dinglexcuses...

Fixed
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by kidash:
Singlexcuses...

why does he keep seeing were gonna fix it? were gonna look at the film? because he doesnt know what the hell hes doing

The 11-2 New England Patriots are a young team also!!
Because they all seem so much younger than he is?
Because he has nothing else to say. By referring to the team as young, it makes an excuse for the poor performance.
Originally posted by PatrickWillisHOF:
He always says that we need to mature as a football team and we are a young team. Its not like we are made up of rookies. We have a lot of veterans on this team and a lot of the players on this team have played together for at least 3 years. I cant stand how he says this because he makes it seem like part of the reason why we are losing is because we are "Young".

14 of the team's 54 players are under 30 years old.

Aside from Barry Sims (36), Moran Norris (31), David Baas (29) and Brian Westbrook (31), every offensive starter is 26 years old or younger. The team's offensive line is also the youngest in the NFL if you exclude substitute left tackle Barry Sims.

Vernon Davis, Parys Haralson, Alex Smith, Manny Lawson, Dashon Goldson, Reggie Smith, Patrick Willis, Josh Morgan, Chilo Rachal, Mike Iupati, Anthony Davis and Michael Crabtree are all starters at the age of 26 or younger.

That's 12 of 22 players with less than six years of NFL experience, adjusted for injuries (Smith and Lawson). As a comparison, the Green Bay Packers have just 7 players with less than six years of NFL experience starting.

With all of this being said, being young shouldn't preclude the team from success. I think it's easy for Singletary to use the term young because he sees mistakes without really understanding the reason behind them (poor preparation, inconsistent game planning, etc).

I think Singletary (and everyone else) expected more from players like Rachal, Goldson, Morgan, Crabtree, Davis and Smith. I think this shows a lack of talent evaluation that Singletary simply doesn't possess.
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by kidash:
Singlexcuses...

Share 49ersWebzone