There are 146 users in the forums

Maiocco on KNBR: 49ers don't have nasty leaders

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
Here we go with "we need a fiery leader with nasty swag." Stupidest sht I've ever heard.

How about some coaches who can actually coach properly at the NFL level?

well, there does need to be a few players who take on the natural leader/mentor role. There needs to be someone as a player who demands the best from each person on the team. Letting a coach down is one thing, letting your fellow players down is another and this team needs someone they don't want to disappoint.
owners, coaches, players........No accountablity.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by Brazilian49er:
He was talking about the 49ers inability to turn the tide when things start to go south. He said that the 49ers decided to go "nice" and now they lack that nasty leader (not the BY, P. Willis kind of leader) that scares young players. Maybe we should consider bringing in someone like that in this offseason.

LINK

Jimmy Johnson

This is absolutely true. He may have nice hair but this guy had his players at the top of their performance levels, or they could walk. I'll tall ya, if Jimmy come come, he would have this team playing very good ball by game 2 of next season.

Why to go Ncommand, to make yet another cognizant post with what I think is great clarity..!
[ Edited by Bali-Niner on Dec 18, 2010 at 1:58 AM ]
How many teams nowadays actually have those fiery leaders? The game is so much different now. There just aren't too many Ray Lewis types anymore. Sure, you have your a*****es like Joey Porter, Darnell Docket, James Harrison, etc. But those are hardly the type of guys you'd consider leaders.

This all leads to the fact the the NFL, and football in general, is no longer won or lost because of heart, passion, and leadership from the players. The team that can put it's players in the best position to win (i.e. SCHEME) will usually win. It's truly a thinking man's game.
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
Here we go with "we need a fiery leader with nasty swag." Stupidest sht I've ever heard.

How about some coaches who can actually coach properly at the NFL level?
Maybe nastier local sportswriters who will call out owners and coaches, not mythical players.

Its a free press, use the privilege or it means nothing but free food and tickets to events.
You can have all the leadership in the world, without a good game-plan you're still gonna suck.
  • dj43
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
We need a real coach first.

That we do but we also need a QB, a pass rusher, two CBs, safety, RG, #1 WR AND a leader.

This team is not so close to playoff ready that all that remains is a coach and a player/leader.
Where were the "nasty" leaders on New Orleans last year? Where is the nasty leader on Indianapolis?

Here's your answer, they don't. OK, maybe they do, but you know what is more important than having "nasty" leaders? Great QBs, skill, and proper coaching. We need that, not "nasty" leaders.
I want the nasty leader at the top like we had with Eddie D! This was an owner who would not accept any excuses for losing. Yet, everyone who played for him had nothing but good things to say about him. BRING BACK EDDIE

Originally posted by bigtony2tone:
How many teams nowadays actually have those fiery leaders? The game is so much different now. There just aren't too many Ray Lewis types anymore. Sure, you have your a*****es like Joey Porter, Darnell Docket, James Harrison, etc. But those are hardly the type of guys you'd consider leaders.

This all leads to the fact the the NFL, and football in general, is no longer won or lost because of heart, passion, and leadership from the players. The team that can put it's players in the best position to win (i.e. SCHEME) will usually win. It's truly a thinking man's game.

Exactly. This is football not politics. You need a "leader" when you're trying to push for lower taxes or healthcare or whatever...but...you need some skilled players and proper coaching/scheming to convert on 3rd and 8 when you're down 14-7.

Obviously having a guy that the team looks to as a leader helps but people make it seem like the end all be all. Shaun Hill has leadership and he can't throw more than 15 yards. Troy Smith has leadership and he can't do anything other than play actions and designed roll outs. Alex was supposedly a leader according to reports but when live bullets fly he does just enough to lose.

We just need a better coached team with better players. If some of those players are "leaders" then cool.
We lack a good head coach and coaching staff.
Ultimately, the head coach is supposed to be the leader. He's the guy that's supposed to balance emotions and keep everyone focused and fired up. Most importantly, leading by way of making the changes and adjustments that need to be made.
Share 49ersWebzone