There are 91 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Singletary knows his x's and o's?!

From Eric Branch's article, recently posted on the forum main page--

Rivera was Singletary's backup at middle linebacker on the 1985 Chicago Bears and later played alongside Singletary for five seasons. Rivera notes that Singletary, the Hall-of-Fame player, had a unique ability to absorb Xs and Os and the subtleties of the game. It's not a trait generally assigned to Singletary as a coach.

Is this not the most shocking thing that anyone has written all week? This is the same man who inanely claps on the sideline after every single play. I'm not as a big a Singletary hater as most, frankly I think he isn't a bad coach. (I think he is great at getting the most effort out of his players) But, an x's and o's genius? Give me a break.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Maybe... I wonder if he knows the rest of the alphabet, though...
Originally posted by Wodwo:

Originally posted by Wodwo:

only if it comes in a soup can
So did Jeff Hostler, but it didn't mean he knew how to devise an effective gameplan per opponent and/or break apart the opponent's strengths.
Shockingly, he may be more book smart than field smart when it comes to X's & O's. But maybe he just sucks...I can accept both as legitimate reasons.
Buddy Ryan drew up the Xs and Os. Sing just executed them. Big difference IMHO.
Perhaps he is a better student than teacher.
Originally posted by Joecool:
So did Jeff Hostler, but it didn't mean he knew how to devise an effective gameplan per opponent and/or break apart the opponent's strengths.

Don't you EVER say the JH words again!
  • BobS
  • Veteran
That was 25 years ago. The effects of too many blows to the head usually show up in ones late 40's or early 50's not when they were participating in a violent sport.
Originally posted by SVcabron1980:

This.

There is a HUGE difference between understanding/executing a game plan and being able to draw one up yourself.
just because the article states sing can absorb x's and o's doesnt mean he can diagram and draw up plays...hell great players are supposed to absorb everything a coache draws up
Sing knows his X'x & O's - surely you jest!
Originally posted by Overkill:
Originally posted by SVcabron1980:

This.

There is a HUGE difference between understanding/executing a game plan and being able to draw one up yourself.

Exactly, Sing is not innovater.
I don't doubt he has knowledge. But the follow up questions should be:

Is that knowledge frozen in time, or something continually studied to stay ahead of the curve? How much work is he doing on that front compared to more successful NFL coaches?

Is the knowledge effectively being translated to player improvement and game management, or is Singletary's primary focus elsewhere with his job duties?