There are 79 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Offensive game plan not was not THAT wide open

OK I've been reading the messages on the board and everyone is talking about how much we opened the offense against the seahawks. Yes, we did pass a tad bit more on first and second down than we do when we had Gore. However, go back and take a look at the film and I don't believe we ran one play in the Shotgun spread formation on first or second down. Also, our runs were almost entirely between the tackles throughout the first half except for a few stretch plays that I recall.

That said, on a relative basis to when we had Gore, yes, we did open it up a bit more. I'm just hoping the playbook continues to expand throughout the end of the year. If we have the slightest chance against the Chargers we are going to need at least 28 points, and in my opinion a more open, risk taking type offense. Alex has proven he is best in the shotgun formation. Lets play to the strength of the team MJ!! Get a pair of nuts and stand up to our douche of a head coach!!
Originally posted by Supr9er:
OK I've been reading the messages on the board and everyone is talking about how much we opened the offense against the seahawks. Yes, we did pass a tad bit more on first and second down than we do when we had Gore. However, go back and take a look at the film and I don't believe we ran one play in the Shotgun spread formation on first or second down. Also, our runs were almost entirely between the tackles throughout the first half except for a few stretch plays that I recall.

That said, on a relative basis to when we had Gore, yes, we did open it up a bit more. I'm just hoping the playbook continues to expand throughout the end of the year. If we have the slightest chance against the Chargers we are going to need at least 28 points, and in my opinion a more open, risk taking type offense. Alex has proven he is best in the shotgun formation. Lets play to the strength of the team MJ!! Get a pair of nuts and stand up to our douche of a head coach!!

OMG Singletary does visit the zone!!


I HATE YOU COACH I HATE YOU!!!!!!!!!
There was a lot of 2TE sets which is great. We didn't use a lot of 3 WR because Ginn can't catch, I think if Zeigler were healthy we would've seen it. WE didn't see Moran Norris a lot. It was a huge difference from what we did the first few weeks. Today was just a minor glimpse at what could've been if we had a good coaching staff, that's all it was really.
Originally posted by binary2nd:
There was a lot of 2TE sets which is great. We didn't use a lot of 3 WR because Ginn can't catch, I think if Zeigler were healthy we would've seen it. WE didn't see Moran Norris a lot. It was a huge difference from what we did the first few weeks. Today was just a minor glimpse at what could've been if we had a good coaching staff, that's all it was really.

keep in mind that Walker might as well be another WR. His athletic ability is that of a WR not a TE.
Yup. Pretty much everything you said. I was so miffed that we were going to Run again in the 3rd Quarter(early into it) that I was caught off guard when Alex pulled the ball back on a Play Action fake. That was awesome. Too bad there isn't more of this. Alex can do it. Troy can sometimes as well. It's just not used much and shows the limitations of this "philosophy". Not that you can really call it that cause a philosophy is something that you do out of habit. If you look at the Run to Pass ratio for this team over the last two seasons you should find that we Pass more than we Run. Thing is we're so stupid on the Run that it kills the Pass. Teams know we're going between the tackles 90% of the time. When you do this and then try to throw from under Center they know right where the QB is going to be. Ahhh but Alex is tough he can get his skull kicked in. We're not worred about getting a man killed cause we believe in Phyzikal wif an F.

Someone crate me up in a box and send me directly to Sing's Office so I can pull a Jack in the Box on him an bish slap his azz out of that I'll be the greatest fantasy pipe dream of his when he opens it.

~Ceadder
I think we need to throw a 25-30+ yard pass attempt to Vernon at least once a quarter, being it a seem, crossing, or long route veering towards the sideline. Vernon can definitely carry us into the playoffs, but we have to try to give him touches. I was real disappointed to see him have 62 yards after the first drive and finish with 70. He needs to stop disappearing.
[ Edited by global_nomad on Dec 12, 2010 at 9:23 PM ]
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 8,104
In case anyone cares, we only went shotgun on first or second down twice all game that I saw when looking at the NFL.com play-by-play.

However, we did appear to have a good mix of passing and running on first and second down... at least until it was an obvious blowout. I just looked at it, but didn't actually analyze the numbers. I don't think I really need to....

Total pass attempts: 27

Total rushes by running backs: 23

14 of the rush attempts from the running backs came in the second half. 7 of the pass attempts were in the second half. I could be off, I just did a quick count from the play by play. Still, that should tell you something about how wide open the offense was in the first half... if I counted right:

Passes: 20

Rushes: 9

Anybody come up with different numbers?
Originally posted by Wodwo:
In case anyone cares, we only went shotgun on first or second down twice all game that I saw when looking at the NFL.com play-by-play.

However, we did appear to have a good mix of passing and running on first and second down... at least until it was an obvious blowout. I just looked at it, but didn't actually analyze the numbers. I don't think I really need to....

Total pass attempts: 27

Total rushes by running backs: 23

14 of the rush attempts from the running backs came in the second half. 7 of the pass attempts were in the second half. I could be off, I just did a quick count from the play by play. Still, that should tell you something about how wide open the offense was in the first half... if I counted right:

Passes: 20

Rushes: 9

Anybody come up with different numbers?

Yup, first half was mostly pass, with lots of 2 TE. Keep in mind that Zeigler is hurt, so that's probably why we had less shotgun/3WR. With 2 TE we usually like to go under center likely because of all the run looks.
[ Edited by binary2nd on Dec 12, 2010 at 9:55 PM ]
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 8,104
Originally posted by binary2nd:


Yup, first half was mostly pass, with lots of 2 TE. Keep in mind that Zeigler is hurt, so that's probably why we had less shotgun/3WR. With 2 TE we usually like to go under center likely because of all the run looks.

Yeah, we only threw to our 3rd WR (Ginn) twice... no catches. Then again, we only targeted Walker three times with one catch.

Side note: Crabtree had 5 targets and 1 catch for 1 yard.

8 of the ten incomplete passes were to those three, the other two were Vernon, who had the most targets at 7. 60% of incompletions were on passes to Ginn and Crabtree. Ginn has a reputation... Crabtree is dangerously close to getting one.
Ever since Johnson took over, I've generally been okay with the gameplan. There are times when I think we should've passed a little more, but I've been somewhat okay with it.

I just feel a lot of the times, they weren't really executing. Today was a good example of what could happen when we execute.