LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 254 users in the forums

Is Crabtree Overrated ?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Is Crabtree Overrated ?

Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Originally posted by fortyyearniner:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
On April 15ths Path to the Draft, Charlie Casserly rated Crabtree as his 6th rated WR "PROSPECT" he's ever scouted.

1. Andre Johnson

2. Calvin Johnson

3. A.J Green

4. Dez Bryant

5. Larry Fitz

6. Michael Crabtree - Said he has incrediably quick feet and ability to seperate. He wasn't really talking about speed, but the ability to get open. He also said he has great hands.

Yeah. I saw the same show. It confirms that Crabtree under performs. He may have quick feet but is slow into his routes, good hands but slow reflexes have him dropping too many passes, great at running routes except those that are called, and not enough speed to separate. Alot of flash and ego but not enough substance. Every player has talent, the good ones use it. Talent is the word used when you have not achieved your potential. It's time to convert talent to substance.

OK obviously you didn't watch the segment because he talked about how excellent Crabtree was at getting separation. nice try though

his knock coming out of college was speed and seperation
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
On April 15ths Path to the Draft, Charlie Casserly rated Crabtree as his 6th rated WR "PROSPECT" he's ever scouted.

1. Andre Johnson

2. Calvin Johnson

3. A.J Green

4. Dez Bryant

5. Larry Fitz

6. Michael Crabtree - Said he has incrediably quick feet and ability to seperate. He wasn't really talking about speed, but the ability to get open. He also said he has great hands.

Yeah. I saw the same show. It confirms that Crabtree under performs. He may have quick feet but is slow into his routes, good hands but slow reflexes have him dropping too many passes, great at running routes except those that are called, and not enough speed to separate. Alot of flash and ego but not enough substance. Every player has talent, the good ones use it. Talent is the word used when you have not achieved your potential. It's time to convert talent to substance.

OK obviously you didn't watch the segment because he talked about how excellent Crabtree was at getting separation. nice try though

Crabtree is great at getting seperation, not with speed, but timing and quickness. I use to bash Crabs, but then somone posted his YAC stats and I've since repented.

1. Andre Johnson

2. Calvin Johnson

3. A.J Green

4. Dez Bryant

5. Larry Fitz

Crabtree is great at getting seperation, not with speed, but timing and quickness. I use to bash Crabs, but then somone posted his YAC stats and I've since repented.

he runs routes well and is agile and hard to tackle

but what many anyalsist said that his tricks in college wouldnt work on nfl level coeners and so far theyre right

however he has had no practice no preeason and i dont even think TC either
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Yes he is on this board. He is slow and tips too many in the air. And runs lazy routes. And doesn't practice / play in the preseason.

agreed

1. Andre Johnson

2. Calvin Johnson

3. A.J Green

4. Dez Bryant

5. Larry Fitz

Yeah. Separation from whom. He is not in college anymore. Casserly's reference was to receivers coming out of college. He is not in college anymore, although he plays like it at times. I wonder if Casserly thinks he is a top 5 receiver in the NFL. I doubt you will find him in the top 10 or 15. His skill set does not compete well against quality NFL CB's. Likewise for Morgan, they don't have explosive speed. The game is won in the first 4 & 5 steps, explosion! Not build up speed. Immediate explosion. We need somebody with explosion and speed in this draft. It will make our other WR's more competitive.

1. Andre Johnson

2. Calvin Johnson

3. A.J Green

4. Dez Bryant

5. Larry Fitz

Sounds like he watches the games though, he's pretty accurate.

1. Andre Johnson

2. Calvin Johnson

3. A.J Green

4. Dez Bryant

5. Larry Fitz

Yeah. Separation from whom. He is not in college anymore. Casserly's reference was to receivers coming out of college. He is not in college anymore, although he plays like it at times. I wonder if Casserly thinks he is a top 5 receiver in the NFL. I doubt you will find him in the top 10 or 15. His skill set does not compete well against quality NFL CB's. Likewise for Morgan, they don't have explosive speed. The game is won in the first 4 & 5 steps, explosion! Not build up speed. Immediate explosion. We need somebody with explosion and speed in this draft. It will make our other WR's more competitive.

Just curious, if he is not "explosive" how would you explain his YAC? It's like top 7 in the NFL.
Originally posted by binary2nd:

1. Andre Johnson

2. Calvin Johnson

3. A.J Green

4. Dez Bryant

5. Larry Fitz

Sounds like he watches the games though, he's pretty accurate.

LOL he gets plenty of separation. He doesn't have super speed, we all know that. We all knew that before we drafted him. This all sounds very redundant.

1. Andre Johnson

2. Calvin Johnson

3. A.J Green

4. Dez Bryant

5. Larry Fitz

Just curious, if he is not "explosive" how would you explain his YAC? It's like top 7 in the NFL.

Yahoo says that Crabtree averaged:
2009: 4.0 YAC
2010: 5.8 YAC

That's nowhere near top 7. Considering that to get into the top 5, you need to have an average YAC of about 10, Crabtree has a long way to go.

linkage

-9fA
[ Edited by 9erfanAUS on Apr 16, 2011 at 9:31 PM ]
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:

1. Andre Johnson

2. Calvin Johnson

3. A.J Green

4. Dez Bryant

5. Larry Fitz

That's nowhere near top 7. Considering that to get into the top 5, you need to have an average YAC of about 10, Crabtree has a long way to go.

linkage

-9fA

morgan and VD averaged more on our team and if im not mistaken (probably am) theyre both top 10 or15 in nfl

1. Andre Johnson

2. Calvin Johnson

3. A.J Green

4. Dez Bryant

5. Larry Fitz

linkage

-9fA

and mos of his yac was off screens and that broken Troy Smith throw.
LOL @ people trying to judge how good Crabtree is when he's had Alex Smith and Troy Smith as his QBs.
Originally posted by binary2nd:

1. Andre Johnson

2. Calvin Johnson

3. A.J Green

4. Dez Bryant

5. Larry Fitz

linkage

-9fA

and mos of his yac was off screens and that broken Troy Smith throw.

LOL, yeah let's discount that last TD...wtf
until he catching the ball consistently then he is overrated. To many tips that turned into INT's last year.
Originally posted by RonRon:
I like Crabtree, he was getting too juiced when a ball was coming in his direction since it was a rare occurrence, which made him drop some balls.

I see this improving once our passing game is brought into modern ages.

However i don't know if he will ever be a great wide out,

hes got the type game to be a dominator slot guy.

He had more balls thrown his way than any other receiver, so how was it "rare?"
Share 49ersWebzone