Shop Find 49ers gear online

Is Crabtree Overrated ?

Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by darkknight49:
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Originally posted by PopeyeJonesing:
Crabtree was not impressive this year. That video showed he has about zero YAC ability.

Dude, are you like really, really serious?

Crabtree was Top 10 (#8) in the NFL this year for YAC/catch for receivers w/ >50 catches this year.

If you want to go down to 40 catches, he's Top 11, and Josh Morgan (now eligible w/ 44 catches) is top 3 in the NFL.

Vernon Davis was also #1 in the NFL for YAC/catch this year for TEs.

Basically, if you want to combine WRs and TEs and make the threshold 40 catches, we had three players in the top 15 in the NFL for YAC per catch this last season.*

I swear to god some of you don't even watch the games and just come here to senselessly complain.

*Which yes, is also Alex's fault.

EDIT: Stats here -- http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/stats/byposition?pos=WR&conference=NFL&year=season_2010&timeframe=All&sort=46&old_category=TE

pwn3d lol

Ah, yeah. This is basically the thread where I got schooled. It was in the MC Video Thread. However, I stand corrected. He was 8th in the league last year, not 7th. No matter how you slice it, 8th out of all WR is pretty legit. Look at some of the guys he's ahead of.

Ah, for receivers who have over 50 catches, Crabtree is ranked 7th - I was ranking for all WRs. However, for receivers who have at minimum 20 catches, Crabtree drops to 22nd. Interestingly enough, the top WRs do not have great YACs. For example, Roddy White only averages 3.3 YAC and he has a good QB throwing to him. Andre Johnson only averages 4 YAC.

The conclusion that I come to is that YAC is not necessarily a good measure of a WR's productivity. Sure, it's nice for a a WR to have a good YAC but it's not a premium measuring stick. Catches and yards/game is a more telling indication of how productive a WR is IMO.

-9fA

Most people who look at WR stats know that YAC is tremendously overrated.
Crabtree was not impressive this year. That video showed he has about zero YAC ability.

Crabtree was Top 10 (#8) in the NFL this year for YAC/catch for receivers w/ >50 catches this year.

If you want to go down to 40 catches, he's Top 11, and Josh Morgan (now eligible w/ 44 catches) is top 3 in the NFL.

Basically, if you want to combine WRs and TEs and make the threshold 40 catches, we had three players in the top 15 in the NFL for YAC per catch this last season.*

I swear to god some of you don't even watch the games and just come here to senselessly complain.

EDIT: Stats here -- http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/stats/byposition?pos=WR&conference=NFL&year=season_2010&timeframe=All&sort=46&old_category=TE

pwn3d lol

Ah, yeah. This is basically the thread where I got schooled. It was in the MC Video Thread. However, I stand corrected. He was 8th in the league last year, not 7th. No matter how you slice it, 8th out of all WR is pretty legit. Look at some of the guys he's ahead of.

Ah, for receivers who have over 50 catches, Crabtree is ranked 7th - I was ranking for all WRs. However, for receivers who have at minimum 20 catches, Crabtree drops to 22nd. Interestingly enough, the top WRs do not have great YACs. For example, Roddy White only averages 3.3 YAC and he has a good QB throwing to him. Andre Johnson only averages 4 YAC.

The conclusion that I come to is that YAC is not necessarily a good measure of a WR's productivity. Sure, it's nice for a a WR to have a good YAC but it's not a premium measuring stick. Catches and yards/game is a more telling indication of how productive a WR is IMO.

-9fA

I do have one theory as to why the Niners WR yac is so high. The theory's name is Alex Smith. I believe unlike some of the better QBs he is much more unlikely to throw to a covered reciever. Therefore, when our recievers do get the ball it's only because there is no one around them. What do you think?

What a freakin' joke, how could anyone read this and not chuckle?
Originally posted by binary2nd:

pwn3d lol

-9fA

I do have one theory as to why the Niners WR yac is so high. The theory's name is Alex Smith. I believe unlike some of the better QBs he is much more unlikely to throw to a covered reciever. Therefore, when our recievers do get the ball it's only because there is no one around them. What do you think?

Originally posted by NickSh49:

pwn3d lol

-9fA

hes kinda right we can probally count the amount of times our wr have been open on 1 hand
So far he is.
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

pwn3d lol

-9fA

hes kinda right we can probally count the amount of times our wr have been open on 1 hand

Wow, look who disagrees. Suprising.

pwn3d lol

-9fA

seriously u think our wrs were open when alex threw to them? u clearly did not watch any games

pwn3d lol

-9fA

seriously u think our wrs were open when alex threw to them? u clearly did not watch any games

our receivers were rarely open. For some reason our receivers just can't create separation.
Originally posted by backontop:

pwn3d lol

-9fA

our receivers were rarely open. For some reason our receivers just can't create separation.

thats what i tried to say either iaklan niner didnt watch a game or doesnt know what seperation mean

pwn3d lol

-9fA

thats what i tried to say either iaklan niner didnt watch a game or doesnt know what seperation mean

Nolan and Singletary are/were defensive coaches, they don't believe in separation!

A little maybe, but only because its our San Fran fans that overrated him. Just like we do with a new person thats either drafted, or traded, or sought out during F/A. A lot of us jump on the next best thing, without actually seeing how it all plays out.

Some said that with VD it was the same thing, since he bloomed late, but i dont think soo because even tho he didnt catch the balls that he does now, he also had the known attribute to being one of, if not the best blocking TE in the league. So at least he brought sumthin to the table.

I gave Crabs a pass his rookie year, when he missed because of the contracts. But i lost some respect for him, when VD had to call him out for not playing the entire pre-season. I mean u cant say u expect to be the best and never put time in.

Then i remember when they asked him, who he looked up to in the NFL, and he said his WR coach. I thought he was gonna say the GOAT or at least another WR, but nope. And when they asked him about his fans, he was quick to gloat about his college fans, of the devotion and loyalty, etc. They asked him about San Fran fans, and i laughed because it was just a one sentence few words, "yeah they are good fans too".

I think now that this Alex thing is dead, we can now focus on other players on our team, because it was no coincidence that Alex and Troy both were great with every other WR on the team in regards to production, but with Crabs each one had their worse completion percentage and the INT ratio went from 1 to 2 with the others, and like 4 or 5 with Crabs.

Hope he gets it together this season.
[ Edited by Jersey9er on Apr 18, 2011 at 10:43 AM ]
Originally posted by Jersey9er:
A little maybe, but only because its our San Fran fans that overrated him. Just like we do with a new person thats either drafted, or traded, or sought out during F/A. A lot of us jump on the next best thing, without actually seeing how it all plays out.

Some said that with VD it was the same thing, since he bloomed late, but i dont think soo because even tho he didnt catch the balls that he does now, he also had the known attribute to being one of, if not the best blocking TE in the league. So at least he brought sumthin to the table.

I gave Crabs a pass his rookie year, when he missed because of the contracts. But i lost some respect for him, when VD had to call him out for not playing the entire pre-season. I mean u cant say u expect to be the best and never put time in.

Then i remember when they asked him, who he looked up to in the NFL, and he said his WR coach. I thought he was gonna say the GOAT or at least another WR, but nope. And when they asked him about his fans, he was quick to gloat about his college fans, of the devotion and loyalty, etc. They asked him about San Fran fans, and i laughed because it was just a one sentence few words, "yeah they are good fans too".

I think now that this Alex thing is dead, we can now focus on other players on our team, because it was no coincidence that Alex and Troy both were great with every other WR on the team in regards to production, but with Crabs each one had their worse completion percentage and the INT ratio went from 1 to 2 with the others, and like 4 or 5 with Crabs.

Hope he gets it together this season.

I think Crabs has a Moss type personality when it comes to playing for a "losing" team.
  • fly15
  • Veteran

pwn3d lol

-9fA

Alexcuse #35674

crab is our best WR anyways...
Originally posted by superman49er:
niner fans overrate him, the rest of the country is aware hes not that good

I agree. He is slow. He tips lots of passes into the air. For supposedly "great hands" he drops a lot of them. He never practices in training camp and misses every single preseason. He pouts when he doesn't like a throw a certain way or when he doesn't get the ball enough. His work ethic is close to zero. He has at times thrown others under the bus.

IMO he is a pretty good possesion WR. That's all. He's not a complete and dominant all world type WR. I don't think he was worth #10 overall. He's more of a #30 - #45 overall type of guy. I think we can use him and he can be good. Just never great. And he is VASTLY OVERRATED on this board.

by fans and himself, yeah. he's completely unproven and has a diva complex already.

by the media and the nfl at large, no.
Share 49ersWebzone