LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 274 users in the forums

Is Crabtree Overrated ?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Is Crabtree Overrated ?

I don't believe Crabs is overrated for a number of reasons...

-They show his routes and sometimes he gets ridiculous (and I mean fool the CB bad) separation.
-He is always blocking downfield
-His YAC are pretty good when he does get the ball

For whatever reason though, him and Alex just do not have chemistry. Alex does tend to sail passes to Crabs. I would have to rewatch yesterday's game, but I do not think Alex hit him in the numbers once! Don't get me wrong, he has missed some catchable balls. However, if a QB consistently hangs a WR out to dry, they are less likely to risk injury to make a QB look good.

I am not sure Crabs trusts Alex, hence the hesitation to really go up for the ball. He seemed to try harder for Troy. That may be attributed to Troy hitting him more in the numbers than sailing passes high. Didn't Crabs injury come from a high pass to Alex where he was hit by a deffender in practice?
Definitely overrated, and Brian Billick suggested as much yesterday when he said Crab played in a "systems" offense at TT, and he runs sloppy routes. The the camera panned into his "rounded" route which allowed the DB to make an easy play on the ball. Personally, I've seen too many dropped balls from this 1st round pick, which tells me that he's not committed to his "craft".

Those that were/are (focus on route running and hands)? Biletnikoff (sp?), Berry, Joiner, Swann, Rice; and today Fitzgerald, Johnson, Colston, and Welker.

At Crabtree's pace, he will need 4 careers to become the WR that Larry Fitzgerald is today. Yeah, tough but true. If we had Fitzgerald and the Cards had Crabtree we would have already secured the div race and a 1st round home game.

I love what I am seeing with Morgan however, and I can't recall him dropping multiple passes in single games. He looks the part, as well!
SJNiner7,
The obvious drop by Crab yesterday hit him squarely in the hands. Both of 'em. He has to make that catch. Period.
he ahs great hands

as soon as he stops being so damn cocky and practices seriously hell be great
Too many dropped, catchable balls. I already resigned myself that he only has enough speed to be a good possession receiver, but a possession receiver has to have hands of glue. Seems like Crabtree is thinking about RAC before securing the catch a lot of the time. Should be correctable, but the guy dissappoints thus far.
  • dj43
Originally posted by jalapeno49:
Definitely overrated, and Brian Billick suggested as much yesterday when he said Crab played in a "systems" offense at TT, and he runs sloppy routes. The the camera panned into his "rounded" route which allowed the DB to make an easy play on the ball. Personally, I've seen too many dropped balls from this 1st round pick, which tells me that he's not committed to his "craft".

Those that were/are (focus on route running and hands)? Biletnikoff (sp?), Berry, Joiner, Swann, Rice; and today Fitzgerald, Johnson, Colston, and Welker.
Crabtree needs to look at some film of Hines Ward. That guy runs great routes. Wes Welker is also a very good route runner. In fact, Crabtree reminds me a bit of Welker - not fast but quick and agile. There are other good route runners in the league but the coaching staff should be the ones that are putting that in his head.

I think, and I have no proof of this, but it seemed apparent Crabtree was not at all inspired to embrace being a SF 49er. If we recall, he didn't even come out here until his contract was signed. It was kind of like him saying, "OK. If you insist on that junk dump being the only place I can play, I want double premium money to play there...and besides, I HATE the kind of offense they run."

All of that stuff may figure into why he is still not running routes the way he should and getting his timing down on pass patterns.
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
he ahs great hands

as soon as he stops being so damn cocky and practices seriously hell be great

His hands is as bad as your spelling , he almost lead the NFL in drops last year btw.
  • fly15
  • Veteran
SJNiner7,
The obvious drop by Crab yesterday hit him squarely in the hands. Both of 'em. He has to make that catch. Period.

Alexcuse #49
Originally posted by fly15:
SJNiner7,

Alexcuse #49

seriously?
  • fly15
  • Veteran
SJNiner7,

Alexcuse #49

seriously?

yes

• dj43
SJNiner7,

Alexcuse #49

seriously?

yes

We need to start a "fly15 and susweel appreciation" thread. They make all this so much more humorous and enjoyable. Come to think of it, maybe Joecool could be included as well. Although on second thought, he has mellowed a bit. He may no longer be in that same class.

He may flame me for that...
i think the fan base overrates him, but around the league he's not overrated....that's my take
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by dj43:
SJNiner7,

Alexcuse #49

seriously?

yes

We need to start a "fly15 and susweel appreciation" thread. They make all this so much more humorous and enjoyable. Come to think of it, maybe Joecool could be included as well. Although on second thought, he has mellowed a bit. He may no longer be in that same class.

He may flame me for that...

Thank you, thank you very much.
No team is ever going to double this guy, he's simply not explosive enough. Has he even broken a tackle this year?
Originally posted by binary2nd:
No team is ever going to double this guy, he's simply not explosive enough. Has he even broken a tackle this year?

Nope. I keep waiting for him to bust one on somebody, but sadly he never gets away. Davis is the same way, but at least he can burn people before the catch.
Share 49ersWebzone