LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 263 users in the forums

Would you support your dream HC hire if they retained A. Smith?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Would you support your dream HC hire if they retained A. Smith?

Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:
I haven't had enough of Alex Smith yet! I think he's the best QB EVARRRRR!!!

Fixed.
YESSSS!!!

u didn't say anything about Smith having to start....

never mind u did say starting role...hmmmm *thinking*
[ Edited by Hitman49 on Dec 14, 2010 at 2:57 PM ]
It would depend on the back-up QB.
Absolutely - coaching is the single biggest problem on this team. Better coaching will mean getting a better Alex, too. IMO

I don't want to retain Alex because I don't believe he can function consistently at a high level if we aren't able to provide him with near-perfect conditions every game. That doesn't mean I hate the kid and believe he taints everything he touches. I have no problem with him continuing to be our starter until somebody better comes along.

Harbaugh & Alex >>>>> Sing & Luck
  • dj43
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Keep A Smith, T Smith, Nate Davis, a rookie draft pick, a vet pick up (best you can sign) and go into the off-season with five QBs. Hire someone who can evaluate and teach the QB position and run them all through a class during the off-season. Then have open competition during minicamps and keep the best three. This nonsense that any QB is better than what we have is really silly. Carr proves that, as even his teammates don't want Carr in the game.

Hire someone good and trust them until they prove they can't win! Sound familiar?

Edit--If A Smith went to Arizona (or elsewhere) I would wish him the best of luck. He deserves it.
Sounds good but the players' union is holding out to either eliminate OTAs and mandatory mini-camps, or cut them down by some large percentage.

What that does is make the new hire and the draft pick even more critical to get it right.
Do I have a choice? It's not like Gruden or Cowher gonna say "You know what, the fans don't really want Alex Smith so I can't go with him. Firstly Alex Smith will not win you a Superbowl... EVER! All this talk about learning under Alex's wing is preposterous. You learn from people who know what they are doing and have WON. Alex doesn't win anything or know what he is doing. I don't understand why everyone says Gosh Alex is such a nice guy but..... That's the way it goes. Great guy but.......
but this but that. I don't care how nice he is. He sucks. OMG It's time for everyone including Alex Smith to turn the page. What's more likely to happen? A mediocre to below-average quarterback after 6 years in the league finally has the light come on and lead his team to the playoffs and make his first ProBowl. Orrrrrrrrrr The same QB bounces around gets cut a couple times, makes a few relief appearances for true #1's and has a fairly fruitless NFL career.
  • dj43
Originally posted by gavindirishmen:
Do I have a choice? It's not like Gruden or Cowher gonna say "You know what, the fans don't really want Alex Smith so I can't go with him. Firstly Alex Smith will not win you a Superbowl... EVER! All this talk about learning under Alex's wing is preposterous. You learn from people who know what they are doing and have WON. Alex doesn't win anything or know what he is doing. I don't understand why everyone says Gosh Alex is such a nice guy but..... That's the way it goes. Great guy but.......
but this but that. I don't care how nice he is. He sucks. OMG It's time for everyone including Alex Smith to turn the page. What's more likely to happen? A mediocre to below-average quarterback after 6 years in the league finally has the light come on and lead his team to the playoffs and make his first ProBowl. Orrrrrrrrrr The same QB bounces around gets cut a couple times, makes a few relief appearances for true #1's and has a fairly fruitless NFL career.
Don't be too sure about Alex not turning it around. Most league observers felt Michael Vick would never be a good pocket passer after 6 years of being little more than a runner in Atlanta. (Vick's passing numbers after those 6 years were almost the same as Alex' prior to Johnson taking over) However, it took Andy Reid just one year in Philly to turn him into one of the best pocket passers in the league.

It is not ALL about coaching but a lot of it IS about coaching...and we know one thing, the offensive coaching is SF has been bottom of the barrel in SF for 6 years.
[ Edited by dj43 on Dec 14, 2010 at 4:20 PM ]
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
Yes because he would have a rookie sit and wait his turn to play so we don't ruin the rookie the same way they ruined alex by throwing him into the fire.

Exactly...

Keeping Alex would actually make sense.

Not keeping him -- that would make no sense unless they could find some other one or two year stop-gap. If that were possible, fine. But Alex is more than serviceable for the time being if there's no other option. Our young guys on the line need to continue to grow. Our OL absolutely must improve. We should look to upgrade their still.

Who is going to be available as a two-year stop gap that is better than Alex Smith? There probably won't be great candidates available. Maybe Philadelphia parts with Kolb? But why would they? Vick will get hurt with his style of play. Take another look at McNabb? Smith is actually outperforming McNabb. Really good QBs don't hit the open market. We need to draft and develop someone, and keep Smith.
If the guy was my dream HC, then I would respect his decision. I would know that he assessed all the QBs, had an idea of their capabilities and did what he could to give them a fair shot at the job.

A nightmare HC would not have done any of this and so his decisions would always be suspect.
Its all about making the right decisions at the right time, Alex even made mention of it after the Seattle game that in his previous starts he's made some bonehead decisions that have cost the team.....the Eagles game comes to mind.

I'll take Tom Brady who doesn't have the strongest arm or atheletic ability of Michael Vick, but he makes the right decisions at the right time.

Remember at the start of the game the crowded booed Alex when he threw the ball away, but it was the right decision.

Alex just needs to continue to make the right decisions and he'll be good. You have to give him some credit when he's in the redzone, he's money. I remember year's ago we would be able to drive the field but just couldn't put it in the endzone.

I can only hope the York's are smart enough to resign Westbrook because if they do there's no excuse NOT to play him and Gore next year.

As a backup yes. This year to year s**t that he is "competing" for the starting spot has run its course to say the least. We need and upgrade.
Share 49ersWebzone