Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • dj43
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Johnson was proven correct in Alexs earlier starts under him that the deep plays were called. Alex never pulled the trigger. His arm may as well be as strong as Hills if he ain't going to throw the damn ball.

He also didn't have the time in the pocket to actually work through his progressions. If you recall he was pretty much running for his life on every play(notice I said practically so please don't give me some BS about oh on this one play he had all day bla bla bla) Alex Smith was at the time of his injury the most hit and hurried QB in the league. I am not sure if he still holds that wonderful statistic. His ability to take what the defense gave him ie. the check down to Gore is what kept him from having outragious sack numbers. Troy Smith on the other hand did not have that ability. Troy Smith took 3 more sacks in 3 less games than Alex Smith.

I already broke down one game having watched it three times with a back and forth with oldman and Alexs big problem is pocket awareness. He refuses to shift to the cushion of the pocket. In that game, there were multiple times when he had a three yard cushion to hist front, right, back but decided to stay put and be "pressured" by the end to his left where a slight shift would have allowed staley to push the end ou further. Troy Smith showed much better pocket awareness an movemen within the pocket to extend the plays. His problem was that he'd try to extend it too long. Winding give this speal abot Alex and pressure. A lot of it is self inflicted as are Troy Smiths sack numbers.

Pocket awareness? If Alex "shifts" forward he usually gets sacked by who ever is in front of Rachal. If he shifts anywhere in the pocket he gets sacked. There was nowhere for him to "shift" to on many occasions. Let's take the PHL game, last play, where should Alex have shifted then? Oh that's right when the defense is in your face before you even complete your 3-5-7 step drop it's kind of hard to "shift" I don't know how many times I have counted less than 3 seconds before Smith was running for his life. You don't become the most hit and hurried QB because you don't "shift" forward into a non existent pocket.

The front of our OL has been blocking very well. If you haven't been aware, most of the pressures this year has been from the edges. Our OL has had it's bad games but it has been up and down with some damn good games. Alex Smith has terrible pocket awareness and RARELY shifts in the pocket. There's a reason why Troy was able to drop back move a little and get four seconds. So you're saying our OL only now started blocking well. Most QBs understand how to avoid the initial pressure except Alex. Defenses also know that the initial pressure isn't the most important.

the front of the line? No David Baas and Iupati have been performing well. Staley, Rachal and Davis have been complete garbage! And the last time I checked the RG being Chilo Rachal is in the middle of the line.
My recollection is that Iupati and Baas seemed to have some major communication issues early on. It is only in the past 3 or 4 games that they seemed to have put it all together.

Davis had given up the most sacks in the league, but the last two games he played much better.

Rachal has also made a marked improvement the last two weeks though he keeps getting nicked up.

LT has been a problem all year.

To get back to Johnson on a related matter; I don't know if it is all Johnson's influence or Solari or what, but the 49ers are gradually getting away from so much man blocking schemes. With man it puts a great deal of pressure on each player to win a one-on-one battle with the guy across the line from them. If one fails the entire play breaks down...and it has frequently. With zone, the line can shift back and forth and create better running and passing lanes without so much pressure on each individual.

It is sometimes hard to detect which scheme the team is using if all you have is what is shown on the TV. I listen to the radio first and Gary Plummer is very good about pointing out zone schemes. More and more, good things seem to happen when the zone is being used...and that has been the majority of the time in the past 2 or 3 games. Hence I believe that is a good part of why the OL has looked better.
  • dj43
Originally posted by Sims84:
Originally posted by sfninerfanMax:
on the actual game blog here on Sunday---if I see Alex roll to the right --get chased to the sideline and throw the ball out of bounds--all i will type is:

I TOLD YOU SO!!!

would you prefer roll to the right and get sacked?

OR roll to the right and HOPE a WR sits in an open zone and if they are in man coverage which alot of teams run against us since we do not have the speed to get over top, take off and run with the ball. Trust his speed against a member from defenses front 7 and put his damn head down and take off. Don't give up, MAKE SOMETHING HAPPEN for a change
A BIG problem with the receivers on rollouts is that they have not been at all good at working back toward the QB. It has improved a bit the last two games but was again spotty in the GB game. When the initial read breaks down, too many times the receiver just slows down instead of working back and finding an open area.
  • dj43
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by Sims84:
Originally posted by sfninerfanMax:
on the actual game blog here on Sunday---if I see Alex roll to the right --get chased to the sideline and throw the ball out of bounds--all i will type is:

I TOLD YOU SO!!!

would you prefer roll to the right and get sacked?

OR roll to the right and HOPE a WR sits in an open zone and if they are in man coverage which alot of teams run against us since we do not have the speed to get over top, take off and run with the ball. Trust his speed against a member from defenses front 7 and put his damn head down and take off. Don't give up, MAKE SOMETHING HAPPEN for a change
A BIG problem with the receivers on rollouts is that they have not been at all good at working back toward the QB. It has improved a bit the last two games but was again spotty in the GB game. When the initial read breaks down, too many times the receiver just slows down instead of working back and finding an open area.

In my opinion all the receivers are running ridiculously deep routes - all of them.

There doesn't seem to be a true understanding of the use of the "slot" in this offense for years. I know many would say it's because our receivers suck, but it's been this way for a long time - I suspect it's the coaching (Jerry Sullivan) but that's just me.
Morgan has often been the slot receiver - "slotted" between the TE and OT to block.

WHOA. It's Friday. Time for golf. I'm out of here.
I refuse to believe that after 6 years, some are still waiting for that "light to come on" in Alex's head.

wow.
  • SFGem
  • Veteran
Originally posted by verb1der:
I refuse to believe that after 6 years, some are still waiting for that "light to come on" in Alex's head.

wow.

it's amazing the way they still support this guy. im done giving him chances. i think troy is a much better qb.

wow.

It's not really that. To them, Alex's light has always been "on."

What they are waiting for after 6 years, are those perfect game conditions when his O-line is blocking flawlessly every snap, his receivers are running crisp routes and catching everyball within a 5 yard radius of their fast-moving bodies, his RBs are popping 5-8 yards every rush, his OCs start gameplanning and playcalling at Bill Walsh Phd levels, and the D is playing shutout football.

The and only then, will Alex Smith finally start to excel because his teammates and coaches just keep dragging him down and prevent him from being the All-Pro that he truly is.
Originally posted by Bluefalcon61:

wow.

What they are waiting for after 6 years, are those perfect game conditions when his O-line is blocking flawlessly every snap, his receivers are running crisp routes and catching everyball within a 5 yard radius of their fast-moving bodies, his RBs are popping 5-8 yards every rush, his OCs start gameplanning and playcalling at Bill Walsh Phd levels, and the D is playing shutout football.

The and only then, will Alex Smith finally start to excel because his teammates and coaches just keep dragging him down and prevent him from being the All-Pro that he truly is.

God, I hate when an entire team of skilled players and coaches, who make plays with other QB's in the game, all team up against a far superior athlete just to drag him down and make him look bad!

Originally posted by D_Niner:

wow.

God, I hate when an entire team of skilled players and coaches, who make plays with other QB's in the game, all team up against a far superior athlete just to drag him down and make him look bad!

Yeah, the nerve of those f**kers! Same thing in Indy. Manning's teammates are total douchebags for dragging him down and causing him to have the worst 3 game stretch of his career since probably he was a rookie. But Peyton just had to yell at them a couple of times and they're back to top-notch level again as evidenced by his 300 yard plus, 2 TD performance against the Titans! I mean, f**k! - when will Alex's teammates finally do the same thing for him??!!

wow.

The light in ASmith's head flickers like an old neon sign.
with all the Alex haters, if he ever took this team to the divisonal playoffs... the haters would run for the hills for cover...THE TRUTH IS :95% of niner fans have never supported A. Smith...thats saying alot about the fanbase

Originally posted by hakeemthedream:
with all the Alex haters, if he ever took this team to the divisonal playoffs... the haters would run for the hills for cover...THE TRUTH IS :95% of niner fans have never supported A. Smith...thats saying alot about the fanbase

it would be a miracle just to a playoff berth with alex. I was a big supporter of alex when he was 1st drafted in 2005. dont hate the guy, just tired of watching him lose football games , making key mistakes. Granted we have had other major issues here, but even after all these years, alex still makes rookie mistakes. His time is finished here, sunday we just get another reminder on how he missed on the draft pick in 2005.
Originally posted by D_Niner:

wow.

Yeah, the nerve of those f**kers! Same thing in Indy. Manning's teammates are total douchebags for dragging him down and causing him to have the worst 3 game stretch of his career since probably he was a rookie. But Peyton just had to yell at them a couple of times and they're back to top-notch level again as evidenced by his 300 yard plus, 2 TD performance against the Titans! I mean, f**k! - when will Alex's teammates finally do the same thing for him??!!

There's already excuses being used for why the players seemed more excited in their quotes when Troy was named starter as opposed to Alex. It's because Troy is getting a group together like "he did in BAL".

When players were excited about Hill's performance, it was because "everyone loves the backup". There's always excuses as to why Alex is displayed in a below average way.
[ Edited by Joecool on Dec 10, 2010 at 1:06 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone