LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 305 users in the forums

MJ's Presser explains the QB change more

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by sfninerfanMax:
on the actual game blog here on Sunday---if I see Alex roll to the right --get chased to the sideline and throw the ball out of bounds--all i will type is:

I TOLD YOU SO!!!

would you prefer roll to the right and get sacked?
Originally posted by backontop:
on the actual game blog here on Sunday---if I see Alex roll to the right --get chased to the sideline and throw the ball out of bounds--all i will type is:

I TOLD YOU SO!!!

OR roll to the right and HOPE a WR sits in an open zone and if they are in man coverage which alot of teams run against us since we do not have the speed to get over top, take off and run with the ball. Trust his speed against a member from defenses front 7 and put his damn head down and take off. Don't give up, MAKE SOMETHING HAPPEN for a change
Originally posted by Sims84:

I TOLD YOU SO!!!

OR roll to the right and HOPE a WR sits in an open zone and if they are in man coverage which alot of teams run against us since we do not have the speed to get over top, take off and run with the ball. Trust his speed against a member from defenses front 7 and put his damn head down and take off. Don't give up, MAKE SOMETHING HAPPEN for a change

Don't even get me started on damn zone defenses. It seems like when teams run a zone against us we are blanketed. When we run the zone we look like swiss cheese.

I TOLD YOU SO!!!

Don't even get me started on damn zone defenses. It seems like when teams run a zone against us we are blanketed. When we run the zone we look like swiss cheese.

Originally posted by baybreaker707:
http://www.49ers.com/media-gallery/videos/Mike-Johnsons-Press-Pass-12910/9ed74ea1-69c5-4738-8991-12ff8321916f

thanks for posting.

My advice is never just post a link, give your thoughts on the subject and tell a little about what is in the article. They will ask you anyways.

And I do not agree. They should instead work on packages and the plays they want to run. Then Troy could have known the game plan and plays and been ready. But game planning and teaching is not what we do...
" as far as putting together the game plans, we do that as a group. "

= FAIL.

Mike Singletary,

He's your OC... hands off and let the man create the offensive plan. You don't know sh#t about offensive Xs and Os... LEAVE MIKE ALONE AND STOP SABOTAGING OUR PASSING GAME !!!!

oldman9er
http://www.csnbayarea.com/12/09/10/Johnson-Alex-Smith-has-tremendous-knowle/landing_maiocco_v3.html?blockID=370121&feedID=5936

Quote:
"Alex Smith is a guy that has tremendous knowledge of everything that we want to do. My job with him is to make sure we provide all of the avenues and parameters that he can play from, have some shots down the field, take those shots when they present themselves, have some quicks that you can go to if they take those things away. Spread them out a little bit more, run the ball, run out of the 22 package. So, we needed to give him all of the avenues in which to operate and then allow him to make those decisions and give us a chance to win the game."

Pay particular interest to the phrasing used there. Past tense... an admission of mistakes prior.
  • SFGem
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BETTERDAYZ9ERS:
I understand their reasoning but it comes at a price. With Alex comes turnovers. Look at how many turnovers we had with Troy in there as opposed to Alex.

...just saying.

you hit it on the head my man. im tired of watching alex play like a little girl.

that fumble against philly must have been the sissiest play ive seen all year. the only time alex actually looked like a qb was after sing punked him on the sideline that game. then next week it was back to same old alex.

alex can't really throw the ball downfield. i think it might be because of his shoulder injury. but how are you gonna start a qb that can't throw farther than 20 yards. that's what all of us saw in troy is he actually has an arm and can throw a 60 yard pass on the run off his back foot.

i hope alex finds his game this sunday somehow so we can win. but i won't be surprised if alex throws two ints in the first half and is benched by halftime.
  • SFGem
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Joecool:
Alex is probably more accurate in deeper throws than any other throw. He is no doubt more accurate than Troy Smith. .

yeah you guys are insane. alex has never even thrown a deep pass in his six year career. troy's deep ball is golden. the hell are you talking about? alex is good at throwing the ball outta bounds though i'll give him that. alex can't even make a simple check down to toss to his rb
[ Edited by SFGem on Dec 10, 2010 at 8:31 AM ]

I TOLD YOU SO!!!

Alex keeps forgetting that he's faster than Troy.

• SFGem
  • Veteran
the alexcuses in this thread are amazing.
  • dj43
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by dj43:
Raye Jr can go to hell.

You can call him that but I would like to see what he can do. He has a nice background that includes some very interesting study of what some of the best new offenses are doing. He has changed quite a few things about the offense since he took over.

We will never find out for certain but I believe Troy and Sing have been holding him in. I would like to see if he comes out and really shows some nice stuff on Sunday. It will be a do-or-die time for Alex and it might be something of the same thing for Mike Johnson. I want to see what he can do.

I dont really care what his back ground is, the guy is hot garbage. He is an amateur and we need professionals. We need bright guys who can actually game plan and get the plays called in time.
Well, you just made my point for me.

In a very limiting environment, Johnson has shown some very good insight play design and play sequencing. I want to see more of this.

When he first took over from Raye we immediately saw a few new things. In the next game the sequencing was more connected and showed some forethought. Then Alex was injured and Troy came in with a very limited knowledge of the playbook. The result again was a very limited number of plays but they did show better insight into sequencing AT TIMES.

All of this gives me hope that Mike Johnson might be another of those bright young minds that "get it" and is on the way to better things. However, there seemed to be a wall beyond which play design and sequencing never went. Whether it was Troy's limited knowledge of the playbook or a restriction placed by Singletary on Johnson, or if Johnson just doesn't know more than we have seen, that is what I would like to see. Several players have commented on his insight and creativity in offensive tactics and play design and he seems to have been embraced well by the players.

Therefore I am looking forward to the Seattle game in hopes we will see Johnson working with Alex' full knowledge of the book to reveal a better idea of Johnson's capabilities. I have a feeling Johnson may be a gem in the rough that is capable of much more than we have seen to date. You seem to have already made up your mind that he isn't. I don't see how you can make that determination based on what we have seen of him under the conditions I have outlined here.

EDIT: Timely play calling has not been a issue the past weeks since the bye.
[ Edited by dj43 on Dec 10, 2010 at 9:47 AM ]
Raye Jr can go to hell.

You can call him that but I would like to see what he can do. He has a nice background that includes some very interesting study of what some of the best new offenses are doing. He has changed quite a few things about the offense since he took over.

We will never find out for certain but I believe Troy and Sing have been holding him in. I would like to see if he comes out and really shows some nice stuff on Sunday. It will be a do-or-die time for Alex and it might be something of the same thing for Mike Johnson. I want to see what he can do.

I dont really care what his back ground is, the guy is hot garbage. He is an amateur and we need professionals. We need bright guys who can actually game plan and get the plays called in time.
Well, you just made my point for me.

In a very limiting environment, Johnson has shown some very good insight play design and play sequencing. I want to see more of this.

When he first took over from Raye we immediately saw a few new things. In the next game the sequencing was more connected and showed some forethought. Then Alex was injured and Troy came in with a very limited knowledge of the playbook. The result again was a very limited number of plays but they did show better insight into sequencing AT TIMES.

All of this gives me hope that Mike Johnson might be another of those bright young minds that "get it" and is on the way to better things. However, there seemed to be a wall beyond which play design and sequencing never went. Whether it was Troy's limited knowledge of the playbook or a restriction placed by Singletary on Johnson, or if Johnson just doesn't know more than we have seen, that is what I would like to see. Several players have commented on his insight and creativity in offensive tactics and play design and he seems to have been embraced well by the players.

Therefore I am looking forward to the Seattle game in hopes we will see Johnson working with Alex' full knowledge of the book to reveal a better idea of Johnson's capabilities. I have a feeling Johnson may be a gem in the rough that is capable of much more than we have seen to date. You seem to have already made up your mind that he isn't. I don't see how you can make that determination based on what we have seen of him under the conditions I have outlined here.

I'm right there with you on this thought. I think this is Johnson's chance to really show his creativity and in-game play. I just hope Alex Smith doesn't ruin it for him.

Also, your thinking of Johnson being in a tough situation and doing as much as he's even done is similar to what a lot of us feel about Troy Smith.
  • dj43
Johnson was proven correct in Alexs earlier starts under him that the deep plays were called. Alex never pulled the trigger. His arm may as well be as strong as Hills if he ain't going to throw the damn ball.

He also didn't have the time in the pocket to actually work through his progressions. If you recall he was pretty much running for his life on every play(notice I said practically so please don't give me some BS about oh on this one play he had all day bla bla bla) Alex Smith was at the time of his injury the most hit and hurried QB in the league. I am not sure if he still holds that wonderful statistic. His ability to take what the defense gave him ie. the check down to Gore is what kept him from having outragious sack numbers. Troy Smith on the other hand did not have that ability. Troy Smith took 3 more sacks in 3 less games than Alex Smith.

I already broke down one game having watched it three times with a back and forth with oldman and Alexs big problem is pocket awareness. He refuses to shift to the cushion of the pocket. In that game, there were multiple times when he had a three yard cushion to hist front, right, back but decided to stay put and be "pressured" by the end to his left where a slight shift would have allowed staley to push the end ou further. Troy Smith showed much better pocket awareness an movemen within the pocket to extend the plays. His problem was that he'd try to extend it too long. Winding give this speal abot Alex and pressure. A lot of it is self inflicted as are Troy Smiths sack numbers.

Pocket awareness? If Alex "shifts" forward he usually gets sacked by who ever is in front of Rachal. If he shifts anywhere in the pocket he gets sacked. There was nowhere for him to "shift" to on many occasions. Let's take the PHL game, last play, where should Alex have shifted then? Oh that's right when the defense is in your face before you even complete your 3-5-7 step drop it's kind of hard to "shift" I don't know how many times I have counted less than 3 seconds before Smith was running for his life. You don't become the most hit and hurried QB because you don't "shift" forward into a non existent pocket.

The front of our OL has been blocking very well. If you haven't been aware, most of the pressures this year has been from the edges. Our OL has had it's bad games but it has been up and down with some damn good games. Alex Smith has terrible pocket awareness and RARELY shifts in the pocket. There's a reason why Troy was able to drop back move a little and get four seconds. So you're saying our OL only now started blocking well. Most QBs understand how to avoid the initial pressure except Alex. Defenses also know that the initial pressure isn't the most important.
Pressure has come from all parts of the OL up until that last two games. You are lumping all parts of the season together to continue your tirade against Alex. It would help your credibility a lot of you would show some understanding of the level of competition and the improvement of the OL in the past two games. Also, recognize that the gradual shift from nearly 100% man blocking schemes to a lot more zone blocking in the past three games has begun to improve the play a great deal. Have you noticed that Mike Johnson has made that change?

A LOT has changed since Johnson took over though not all of it is easy to see.
Johnson was proven correct in Alexs earlier starts under him that the deep plays were called. Alex never pulled the trigger. His arm may as well be as strong as Hills if he ain't going to throw the damn ball.

He also didn't have the time in the pocket to actually work through his progressions. If you recall he was pretty much running for his life on every play(notice I said practically so please don't give me some BS about oh on this one play he had all day bla bla bla) Alex Smith was at the time of his injury the most hit and hurried QB in the league. I am not sure if he still holds that wonderful statistic. His ability to take what the defense gave him ie. the check down to Gore is what kept him from having outragious sack numbers. Troy Smith on the other hand did not have that ability. Troy Smith took 3 more sacks in 3 less games than Alex Smith.

I already broke down one game having watched it three times with a back and forth with oldman and Alexs big problem is pocket awareness. He refuses to shift to the cushion of the pocket. In that game, there were multiple times when he had a three yard cushion to hist front, right, back but decided to stay put and be "pressured" by the end to his left where a slight shift would have allowed staley to push the end ou further. Troy Smith showed much better pocket awareness an movemen within the pocket to extend the plays. His problem was that he'd try to extend it too long. Winding give this speal abot Alex and pressure. A lot of it is self inflicted as are Troy Smiths sack numbers.

Pocket awareness? If Alex "shifts" forward he usually gets sacked by who ever is in front of Rachal. If he shifts anywhere in the pocket he gets sacked. There was nowhere for him to "shift" to on many occasions. Let's take the PHL game, last play, where should Alex have shifted then? Oh that's right when the defense is in your face before you even complete your 3-5-7 step drop it's kind of hard to "shift" I don't know how many times I have counted less than 3 seconds before Smith was running for his life. You don't become the most hit and hurried QB because you don't "shift" forward into a non existent pocket.

The front of our OL has been blocking very well. If you haven't been aware, most of the pressures this year has been from the edges. Our OL has had it's bad games but it has been up and down with some damn good games. Alex Smith has terrible pocket awareness and RARELY shifts in the pocket. There's a reason why Troy was able to drop back move a little and get four seconds. So you're saying our OL only now started blocking well. Most QBs understand how to avoid the initial pressure except Alex. Defenses also know that the initial pressure isn't the most important.
Pressure has come from all parts of the OL up until that last two games. You are lumping all parts of the season together to continue your tirade against Alex. It would help your credibility a lot of you would show some understanding of the level of competition and the improvement of the OL in the past two games. Also, recognize that the gradual shift from nearly 100% man blocking schemes to a lot more zone blocking in the past three games has begun to improve the play a great deal. Have you noticed that Mike Johnson has made that change?

A LOT has changed since Johnson took over though not all of it is easy to see.

We'll see if Alex takes advantage of this. I think he will appeared to be pressured as he has most of his career. For some reason, he always appears to be pressured more than other QB's who step in.
Share 49ersWebzone