Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
0lol Eddie hired Walsh, overpaid everyone with no salary cap. The salary cap came about because of Eddie. (arguably)
Eddie's way of running an organization would not work in today's NFL.
He knows how to be an owner. He said it himself: hire football people and let THEM run the show. Salary cap or not, that's the smart thing for any owner to do.
He also said this organization needs a QB. He's dead on. If he were the owner now, we'd have football people running the show and we'd probably have a good QB. His "way of running an organization" would work in any era. 
I'm not saying he wouldn't be a good owner. What I am saying is he would be average now compared to then. And you are right about having football people running the show, chances are you would be more successful.
eh, I am not so sure about that. Good business people find out how to make things work for them. Eddie made a lot of mistakes early on, like hiring Joe Thomas and turning it all over to him. However, he learned from those mistakes and became the standard. His comments in the interview showed he has a good handle on the basics of how to run a FOOTBALL business, and I think he would be very successful.
Quote:
Eddie hired Walsh. He ran the football side of things while Eddie wrote the checks. Big ones. And don't forget Walsh quit in large part because of Eddie's micromanaging. Eddie was a spoiled rich kid with a large checkbook. Players wanted to come here because they knew they were going to get paid and in alot of cases overpaid. How else do you explain Steve Young riding the bench for 3+ years making 3 mil per?
Of course, players also wanted to come here because the team was winning.
I loved his comment about Steve Young: "We stole him. We knew what we were getting." I remember all the talk prior to the trade that Young was a bust and should concentrate on being a running back. Tampa fans were glad to see him go and Walsh turned him into a HOF QB, as we all now know.