LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 246 users in the forums

Tim Kawakami on Alex Smith

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by JustaFan45:
This was suppose to be Alex breakout year, no excuses etc. but here we are still with excuses and what ifs!

that's what happens when your HC is an idiot. I have a team built to run a spread offense so lets run the ball up the gut every singlet play and then try and convert a 3rd and 15+. You can't expect a QB to be successful when playcalling puts them in a position to fail. It was the same way with Troy Smith. The only difference is that with Troy Smith he doesn't know enough of the playbook to make adjustments later in the game.
i'll support him sunday just because i want to win and i hate the seahawks
Originally posted by backontop:
This was suppose to be Alex breakout year, no excuses etc. but here we are still with excuses and what ifs!

that's what happens when your HC is an idiot. I have a team built to run a spread offense so lets run the ball up the gut every singlet play and then try and convert a 3rd and 15+. You can't expect a QB to be successful when playcalling puts them in a position to fail. It was the same way with Troy Smith. The only difference is that with Troy Smith he doesn't know enough of the playbook to make adjustments later in the game.

I agree with what you're saying but to me Alex is no different than Troy or Shaun Hill for that matter. All has had success at times only to falter when teams have film on them. With that being said Troy is 3-2 which put us in a position to even talk playoffs. 2 of his wins are against div. opponents (Rams & Cardinals) and no one really believed we would go to G.B and win that game w/o Frank Gore!

I just don't see the logic to put in Alex after going 1-5!

I agree with what you're saying but to me Alex is no different than Troy or Shaun Hill for that matter. All has had success at times only to falter when teams have film on them. With that being said Troy is 3-2 which put us in a position to even talk playoffs. 2 of his wins are against div. opponents (Rams & Cardinals) and no one really believed we would go to G.B and win that game w/o Frank Gore!

Because Alex Smith was progressing while Troy Smith was digressing. Alex played the harder portion of the schedule.

Because Alex Smith was progressing while Troy Smith was digressing. Alex played the harder portion of the schedule.

Alex Smith progressing? ? When? not this year for sure.
Originally posted by Jamespowers:

really? So you're saying that Alex Smith did not progress once Michael Johnson took over as the OC?

haters

really? So you're saying that Alex Smith did not progress once Michael Johnson took over as the OC?

haters

We got one win over the raiders. otherwise, he was a turnover machine vs philly and atlanta. Overthrowing targets.

I still don't see the logic! You know as well as I do if Troy started the season like Alex did he would of been cut and Nate would be 3rd string. Now I'm not in any way suggest we cut Alex but I don't understand how he gets all these chances considering other QB's in the past only get 1 -2 foul-ups and they get pulled. Look at Carr he gets 1/2 a game(by the way that was enough for me)

haters

We got one win over the raiders. otherwise, he was a turnover machine vs philly and atlanta. Overthrowing targets.

troy smith doesn't overthrow targets

I still don't see the logic! You know as well as I do if Troy started the season like Alex did he would of been cut and Nate would be 3rd string. Now I'm not in any way suggest we cut Alex but I don't understand how he gets all these chances considering other QB's in the past only get 1 -2 foul-ups and they get pulled. Look at Carr he gets 1/2 a game(by the way that was enough for me)

I am new to posting but have been reading this forum for two years now but I have realized just recently is that BACKONTOP is in almost every single topic that has anything to do with Alex Smith. You would think he is his agent BUT he does a point in that the offense system is just not successful period. A smashmouth offense will not work, ESPECIALLY when we are running the same plays up the middle. If we mixed it up a little so teams would always know where we would be going, we could be alot more success running the ball and of course, play action.

With that said, Alex Smith is not the answer. There is not doubt about that. I am a realist and I'm a 49ERS fan and will cheer whoever on that lines up under center, but Alex Smith sucks. He does show signs of talent but he is just too inconsistant be even considered GOOD. He can't feel pressure, he is scared to take control and make some audibles if he knows the defense is geared up for that particular play, his release is not the quickest to say the least and he just makes COSTLY mistakes. Everyone wil make mistakes but he just has a nact for making them at the wrong time

If Troy Smith started the season out like Alex Smith did some of you would be b***hing that he got benched in the first place. Alex played a good game against NO and PHL. Because of Alex Smith we remained competitive against 3 of the best teams in the league right now in NO, ATL and PHL. If the defense had done their jobs we would have won against ATL and potentially NO and PHL.

If Troy Smith started the season out like Alex Smith did some of you would be b***hing that he got benched in the first place. Alex played a good game against NO and PHL. Because of Alex Smith we remained competitive against 3 of the best teams in the league right now in NO, ATL and PHL. If the defense had done their jobs we would have won against ATL and potentially NO and PHL.

He threw 2 int's vs NO (bad pass to gore and tipped pass at the LOS) but he FINISHED the game strong. He had 2 picks and a Fumble returned for a TD vs Philly and after the defense "did their job and got the stop" and gave the ball back with plenty of time on the clock, he of course got hit and threw that last interception, the story of his career. two more interceptions against ATL and we lost 16-14 after the defense held ATL (the best team in the league) to 13 points for 59 minutes and 55 seconds
Originally posted by Sims84:

He threw 2 int's vs NO (bad pass to gore and tipped pass at the LOS) but he FINISHED the game strong. He had 2 picks and a Fumble returned for a TD vs Philly and after the defense "did their job and got the stop" and gave the ball back with plenty of time on the clock, he of course got hit and threw that last interception, the story of his career. two more interceptions against ATL and we lost 16-14 after the defense held ATL (the best team in the league) to 13 points for 59 minutes and 55 seconds

I have never said that Alex Smith didn't have his WTF moments. But overall he has played pretty well. The problem is the haters only focus on the fact that they hate Alex Smith and look for anything negative to b***h about completely ignoring everything else. ZOMG Alex threw an INT. Reality? Alex Smith was hit while throwing the ball because Anthony Davis is a revolving door. ZOMG Alex Smith is the suxors! Reality? Alex Smith is playing pretty good with this patch job of an OLine and s**tty conservative play calling. ZOMG Alex Smith is Captain Checkdown. Reality? The WR's are not getting open, the Oline is not allowing Alex the time needed to go through his progressions so he has to dump it off to Gore.

I have never said that Alex Smith didn't have his WTF moments. But overall he has played pretty well. The problem is the haters only focus on the fact that they hate Alex Smith and look for anything negative to b***h about completely ignoring everything else. ZOMG Alex threw an INT. Reality? Alex Smith was hit while throwing the ball because Anthony Davis is a revolving door. ZOMG Alex Smith is the suxors! Reality? Alex Smith is playing pretty good with this patch job of an OLine and s**tty conservative play calling. ZOMG Alex Smith is Captain Checkdown. Reality? The WR's are not getting open, the Oline is not allowing Alex the time needed to go through his progressions so he has to dump it off to Gore.

I completely agree with you, FINALLY lol. I am a fan regardless who is playing QB and if it is Alex Smith then I will support him the whole step of the way, if it is David Carr then he will get my support. But you are right, and like i stated in another post, there is not ONE QB that can succeed here in this situation. We have a new but showing signs Offensive Coordinator with a Head coach who means well but is just in over his head and would help this team a lot if he just stayed out of the game planning being that he has NEVER game planned before. Then on top of that, our Defensive coordinator is not even aggressive enough to put our players in positions to get some turnovers to give the offense more opportunities to attack. The talent is here on this team but the schemes are all wrong. its sad

Please don't label me a "hater" when I gave you my reasons for why he shouldn't be starting.

Like I said in another post this was suppose to be a "NO Excuses" year for Alex but after reading the above comments I see it's not the case.
Share 49ersWebzone