LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 142 users in the forums

Tim Kawakami on Alex Smith

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Wow. I hate to have sounded like a complete apologist but I couldn't have done so without examining the externalities surrounding Smith and the coaching. You must pardon me, WebZone. I don't mean to excuse his dumb plays that shouldn't happen, but rather place the blame on the system in which he was placed. That is all.
Originally posted by susweel:
Finally a writer who truly understands the situation. Even he is dumbfounded by all the support that this loser still receives from the fan base.

Great read

Smith lovers might want to read it twice

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawakami/2010/12/07/alex-smith-once-more-around-the-block-with-the-49ers-and-his-inexhaustible-fans/

TK is the worst. I am not interested in his opions.
  • vaden
  • Veteran
Being the hack he is, Kawakami compares their records while making no mention of the vast strength of schedule differential.

In the six games Alex completed this year, his combined competition has a record of 47-25 versus 27-33 for the five teams Troy has faced. Troy's 3 wins came against teams with a combined record of 12-24, and he had the support of an actual running game, something Alex rarely had, with Gore gaining a dreadful 210 yards on 71 carries in 4 of their first 5 games. Of course, Gore was facing much tougher defenses.

When he had to actually face a quality opponent, Troy was easily exposed and fared far worse than Alex. Of course, it's no accomplishment for Alex to be better than Troy, and he has a lot to prove this Sunday.
Kawakami calls the Alexcusers as he sees 'em...

what i'll never figure out is how coach killer Cpt. Checkdown gets so many fanboys? Is it the eyebrows?
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:
Finally a writer who truly understands the situation. Even he is dumbfounded by all the support that this loser still receives from the fan base.

Great read

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawakami/2010/12/07/alex-smith-once-more-around-the-block-with-the-49ers-and-his-inexhaustible-fans/

of course you and every Alex fan is not interested in his opinion, he is telling the Truth...

how about yall read it and tell us where he is wrong or what ever.
what happens if Alex wins out and we make the playoffs??? or we win 3 of the next 4 and he lights it up????
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:

Great read

of course you and every Alex fan is not interested in his opinion, he is telling the Truth...

how about yall read it and tell us where he is wrong or what ever.

why so we can get more Alexcuses? If they actually think Alex is a good QB do you think they'd actually have good insight? They'll see the light soon enough when Alex is not resigned...
Originally posted by GoGiantsHumBaby:
Originally posted by BobS:
Alex Smith gets the unconditional love that would come from someone's grandma around here, it makes no sense to me. I could care less if he is a nice guy and a hard worker, he does not get positive results. He is a Ryan Leaf with out the attitude. No other team in the history of the NFL have kept a first round QB bust as long as the 49ers have kept Alex Smith, the most they last is 2 or 3 years, not 6 years.

Great add to the discussion. Brilliant.
You have a low standard for brilliance.
  • vaden
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mastahyee:
Wow. I hate to have sounded like a complete apologist but I couldn't have done so without examining the externalities surrounding Smith and the coaching. You must pardon me, WebZone. I don't mean to excuse his dumb plays that shouldn't happen, but rather place the blame on the system in which he was placed. That is all.

I thought it was an excellent post, mastahyee. You're being a realist, not an apologist. A lot of people just want to scapegoat Alex and pretend we'd be winning if not for him (that poll showing most fans saying we'd win the NFC West if Troy had started all year was laughable), when the reality is this team was built to have a shutdown D and smashmouth running game, and neither has come remotely close to materializing. So it all comes down to our QB to save us while saddled with horrible coaching, conservative game plans more predictable than a romantic comedy.
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Still waiting for someone this question applies to to have the guts to answer it.

You WANT the Niners to lose the remaining games anyway. So if Alex is who you think he is, he will accomplish this losing outcome that you want, and even provide you with more comedic fuel for the hate and ridicule.

So why so unhappy that he was named the starter? Only reason I can think of is because you fear that he may do well and soil your Alex Smith departure party.

What say you?
I want the niners to lose, and I want Alex to succeed.

Originally posted by D_Niner:
Still waiting for someone this question applies to to have the guts to answer it.

You WANT the Niners to lose the remaining games anyway. So if Alex is who you think he is, he will accomplish this losing outcome that you want, and even provide you with more comedic fuel for the hate and ridicule.

So why so unhappy that he was named the starter? Only reason I can think of is because you fear that he may do well and soil your Alex Smith departure party.

What say you?

I can't answer for everyone; but, I'd rather have the guy who stands a chance to be on our squad and has a small chance to start for us next year to get valuable game experience than the guy we've watched come up short for several years now and is on his way out the door.

If we lose with Troy we still may have a net gain in a solid backup next year. If we win or lose with Alex, we've lost any potential gain we would get for next season.

I know it's not the one you were looking for; but, are you happy you have an answer now?
Dude, how many times do other qb's have to fail for you to understand that our problem is not Alex? How many more have to fail?

I want Alex to move on as much as the next guy, but you have to be a delusional hater to see that he's not the genesis of our problems. Why? Because every qb that's replaced him has eventually melted down. Every. Single. One.
Originally posted by GoGiantsHumBaby:
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Tim's easily my fav local writer right now, next to Barrows (since Ratto, and Maiocco sold out the moment they joined CSN).

This team deserves all the s**t it's being dished (inside and out), and is unworthy of a 'west coast pass'.

Tim is a shock-jock writer who is usually full of hot-air.

Is he right about the 9ers? Probably. But that's just because it's the easy stance to take. He also called the WS champion Giants season over in early July. He's doom-and-gloom 24/7 whether it's the right stance or wrong.

I AGREE WITH THIS ASSESSMENT OF T K
Originally posted by truekingcarlos:
Originally posted by D_Niner:

What say you?

I can't answer for everyone; but, I'd rather have the guy who stands a chance to be on our squad and has a small chance to start for us next year to get valuable game experience than the guy we've watched come up short for several years now and is on his way out the door.

If we lose with Troy we still may have a net gain in a solid backup next year. If we win or lose with Alex, we've lost any potential gain we would get for next season.

I know it's not the one you were looking for; but, are you happy you have an answer now?
Dude, how many times do other qb's have to fail for you to understand that our problem is not Alex? How many more have to fail?

I want Alex to move on as much as the next guy, but you have to be a delusional hater to see that he's not the genesis of our problems. Why? Because every qb that's replaced him has eventually melted down. Every. Single. One.

LOL. yeah name the other ones.

Are you referring to JT O'Sullivan? Hill? Dilfer? Weinke? Troy Smith? All amazing QBs held back by inferior coaching, right?

All of these QBs suck and were added as who cares free agent signings. Backups for the 'savior' Alex. The only QB we invested any $$$$ in was Alex. No one thought any of those QBs would actually start. Til of course Alex 'melted down'. Inevitably. Time and time again.

The genesis of our problems is we haven't invested a dime in a serious QB. Bears trade for Cutler. Bucs draft Josh Freeman. We launch the 10 year Alex Smith experiment.
[ Edited by 49erFaithful6 on Dec 7, 2010 at 7:25 PM ]

Great read

Twice? It's Kawakami, I already know better than to read it once.
Originally posted by Gavintech:

Great read

Twice? It's Kawakami, I already know better than to read it once.

this!
Share 49ersWebzone