LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 302 users in the forums

Tim Kawakami on Alex Smith

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Originally posted by D_Niner:
Still waiting for someone this question applies to to have the guts to answer it.

You WANT the Niners to lose the remaining games anyway. So if Alex is who you think he is, he will accomplish this losing outcome that you want, and even provide you with more comedic fuel for the hate and ridicule.

So why so unhappy that he was named the starter? Only reason I can think of is because you fear that he may do well and soil your Alex Smith departure party.

What say you?

I can't answer for everyone; but, I'd rather have the guy who stands a chance to be on our squad and has a small chance to start for us next year to get valuable game experience than the guy we've watched come up short for several years now and is on his way out the door.

If we lose with Troy we still may have a net gain in a solid backup next year. If we win or lose with Alex, we've lost any potential gain we would get for next season.

I know it's not the one you were looking for; but, are you happy you have an answer now?

Now THIS is a response I can both believe and respect. The other was obviously BS, when anyone reads on here enough.

... and yours was fine too, Niner4life21.

Thank you. Honestly, I don't think that Troy is our future starter and I noticed the numerous passes he has missed in the past 2 games. Also, he holds onto the ball for too long. The only thing I liked about his game was how he is not afraid to take shots deep, and more often than not, he does connect on a deep pass. IMO, the season is over, so might as well put in a guy like Troy who can atleast make the games exciting with his exciting and at times erratic play, instead of putting in Alex.

In regards to Alex right now, I just feel like whatever happened in his time here is something that should be moved on from. There were injuries, bad coaching, bad O-Lines, being thrown under the bus by the coach....but there were also bad passes and overall bad to mediocre play by Smith. So the best thing to do is move on from this mess that has played out over the past 6 seasons. It'd be best to let Smith start new somewhere else; remember, he is still young, and although I doubt it, it'll still be possible for him to turn his career around somewhere else.

Oh, and BTW, fire Sing too.
Theres really only one reason why Alex still has fans:

They probably see a little bit of Alex in themselves. They think theyre talented despite all the contrary evidence and they blame everyone else for their failures.

Typical liberal mentality
Thanks for posting that, susweel. It's pretty hard to argue with Kawakami's article. I mean the data is the data and it clearly shows Smith isn't going to work.
I cant say I totally agree with starting Alex but I can see why they made the switch. Alex was doing better, statistically, with an open playbook and he's better in the red zone. I'm not defending the guy just saying why they might have made the switch.

On a whole other note...Alex better play well the next 4 games if he wants ANY shot at starting right away or competing for a job next year. Condon-err..I mean Alex should use this time to up his market value. Playing like donkey sht the next 4 games will definitely close the door for him next year.

These next 4 games are probably going to be some of the most important games for Alex's future. Play well? Get a decent contract and a chance to start. Play crappy and MAYBE sign somewhere as a #2.
All I needed to see is Kawakami to know it wasn't worth reading... pass.

I am genuinely amused though at how butt-hurt and afraid so many of you are over Alex Smith. Why else would you not find some other way to spend your day... rather than sit, think, and talk of Alex? Get over it... you WANT to lose anyway... you said so a dozen or so times. So if Alex is who you think he is, he will accomplish the goal that you want. So stop b!tching and crying already and clean up your hemorrhagic rectums.

Yeah!
Originally posted by DesiDez:

They probably see a little bit of Alex in themselves. They think theyre talented despite all the contrary evidence and they blame everyone else for their failures.

That really doesn't even make sense.

How does "liberal mentality" = talented person who blames everyone else for their failure?
This article says it all. No more Alex Smith!
I still believe in alex smith! six years of bad coaching and you guys know it
Originally posted by DesiDez:

Oh yeah, personal insult meant to get under people's skins+a slanted political viewpoint FTW
I agree with Tim K. 100%. I wonder when someone is going to post a countdown thread?

• BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BobS:
Alex Smith gets the unconditional love that would come from someone's grandma around here, it makes no sense to me. I could care less if he is a nice guy and a hard worker, he does not get positive results. He is a Ryan Leaf with out the attitude. No other team in the history of the NFL have kept a first round QB bust as long as the 49ers have kept Alex Smith, the most they last is 2 or 3 years, not 6 years.

There's a reason for that, Bob. It's because this is a very rare situation involving a QB that was horrifically developed thanks to an OC carousel that the NFL has never known before and then add lacking talent/tyrannical HCs/unimaginably wretched OL blocking/etc. to the mix. Every intelligent fan and talking head out there knows perfectly well that this kid was screwed over by the organization and all its failings. Listen to any of the announcers like Billick, Rich Gannon, and Gruden and when they talk of Alex, they talk of how crappy and impossible a situation he's had.

Most high draft pick QBs go to bad teams, that are in need of a complete rebuild. Troy Aikman was 0-11 as a starter, thrown in the fire on a bad team, he didn't end up emotionally damaged.
every time theres something about alex most of you guys go crazy and start fapping all over his threads
Originally posted by ace130:
I still believe in alex smith! six years of bad coaching and you guys know it

So what do you have to say about his accuracy issues, his bad pocket presence, lack of touch on the ball, etc etc etc etc.....?

Wait, lemme guess, according to you, thats all on the coaching, too?
Couldn't this thing have gone in one of the hundred Alex Smith threads? The convo is the same... A bunch of nothing.
Alex Smith gets the unconditional love that would come from someone's grandma around here, it makes no sense to me. I could care less if he is a nice guy and a hard worker, he does not get positive results. He is a Ryan Leaf with out the attitude. No other team in the history of the NFL have kept a first round QB bust as long as the 49ers have kept Alex Smith, the most they last is 2 or 3 years, not 6 years.

There's a reason for that, Bob. It's because this is a very rare situation involving a QB that was horrifically developed thanks to an OC carousel that the NFL has never known before and then add lacking talent/tyrannical HCs/unimaginably wretched OL blocking/etc. to the mix. Every intelligent fan and talking head out there knows perfectly well that this kid was screwed over by the organization and all its failings. Listen to any of the announcers like Billick, Rich Gannon, and Gruden and when they talk of Alex, they talk of how crappy and impossible a situation he's had.

Most high draft pick QBs go to bad teams, that are in need of a complete rebuild. Troy Aikman was 0-11 as a starter, thrown in the fire on a bad team, he didn't end up emotionally damaged.

Somehow, I don't recall Jimmy Johnson playing Troy Aikman injured, blaming him for the team's problems, or not putting him in the right scheme or providing him the necessary support structure to succeed.
Share 49ersWebzone