LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 247 users in the forums

Tim Kawakami on Alex Smith

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by JustaFan45:
Originally posted by D_Niner:
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Originally posted by Jakemall:

Didn't we fire Marriucci for doing this very thing when we lost to the Buc in the Championship? And that was when we were good at it.

Don't remember the exact particulars, but even Mooch wasn't this conservative. I definitely remember the gripe on Mooch was that we wouldn't play with a FINISH HIM! mentality when we got ahead though.

Exactly right.

The play that killed Mooch was one where he ran out the clock going into the half instead of trying to drive and gain more points; but, that summed up Mooch. I remember him talking once, something about blowing out an opponent only makes them that more determined to beat you the next time; therefore, he wanted to win by the smallest margin possible...

Don't mean to go off topic but what is it with this "Don't want to show the other team up" concept? For example TD celebrations. You should be able to celebrate anyway you want and if a coach doesn't like it .....KEEP THEM OUT THE ENDZONE!

My rant is over!

Exactly like Belichek(sp?) once said "If you want to keep the score down , then stop us from scoring." There is nothing wrong with just beating the s**t out of your opponent.
Originally posted by JustaFan45:
Originally posted by Jakemall:

Didn't we fire Marriucci for doing this very thing when we lost to the Buc in the Championship? And that was when we were good at it.

Don't remember the exact particulars, but even Mooch wasn't this conservative. I definitely remember the gripe on Mooch was that we wouldn't play with a FINISH HIM! mentality when we got ahead though.

Exactly right.

The play that killed Mooch was one where he ran out the clock going into the half instead of trying to drive and gain more points; but, that summed up Mooch. I remember him talking once, something about blowing out an opponent only makes them that more determined to beat you the next time; therefore, he wanted to win by the smallest margin possible...

Don't mean to go off topic but what is it with this "Don't want to show the other team up" concept? For example TD celebrations. You should be able to celebrate anyway you want and if a coach doesn't like it .....KEEP THEM OUT THE ENDZONE!

My rant is over!

The refs have taken it too far, but still, you do have to put limitations on the celebrations. My favorite was always Barry Sanders calmly handing the ball to the refs. Now that's "acting like you've been there."

Originally posted by Young2Rice:

There are people who believed we "ruined" him. In a QB, that indicates a weak character and lack of Kahones, which is apparent in Alex.

So then a strong and big-balled character would be the one who resists and refuses training and the philosophy from your coaching staff, and just does whatever he wants on the field?

It took Troy Smith no time at all to bend to the will of Singletary and begin playing cautious football. What does that say about him?

Reality is, when you play for a coach, you do what he instructs. You play the game coach dictates to you or you go have a seat on the bench in the doghouse. If a QB is unlucky enough to be both compliant (as he should be) and have to deal with back to back defensive HC's that demand careful play? Along the way, your brain will be hard-wired to not take shots.

The only question remaining for Alex is, can he quickly re-wire his thinking, or is he as some suggest, damaged goods beyond repair?

Re-Wire his thinking? He's not a 1993 Chevy. He doesn't need a tune up and a new timing belt.

We have been trailing in plenty of games since he took over. He has been asked to let it fly and bring us back. And what does he do? Throw picks, fumbles, intentional grounding, overthrows, etc... Once in awhile he'll throw in a solid ball to get Smith Fan Boy's dicks wet.

Troy Smith showed he is not much better then Smith. Plus, he JUST got here in September and isn't up to the playbook. Isn't that a qualified Alexuse? Too many OCs, new playbook, etc...

Alex, in his second year of the same system and with same players for the last few years, has way more turnovers. (This is where a fan boy inserts skewed statistics of the "last 7 quarters" or "the last 3 game" A Smith looked good with MJ etc....) How many turnovers have been returned on Smith this year for TD? 3? That is a little less then the amount of TD drives he's let us to this season.

1-6 and the win coming against the Raiders with Gore running wild. He looked poor against the Panthers too. He has looked poor his whole career. If he was a Chevy, we could re-wire em. But he is a human who was "wired" to suck when he got here and is still wired to suck today.
Tim said he thought Alex was done with the team in 2007. He was wrong. Had the O-line showed up this year, we would be coasting into the playoffs right now. The QB was not anywhere near the biggest problem with this team this year. Stop trying to convince everyone to have your opinion. The act gets old.
Originally posted by Kilgore_Trout:
Tim said he thought Alex was done with the team in 2007. He was wrong. Had the O-line showed up this year, we would be coasting into the playoffs right now. The QB was not anywhere near the biggest problem with this team this year. Stop trying to convince everyone to have your opinion. The act gets old.

kind of reminds you of the jahova's witnesses that come knocking on your door.
Originally posted by backontop:

I thought I came up with a good idea one day and talked to a Jahova in my underwear. I thought for sure he'd get all flustered and F off...not a chance, he must have talked with me for at least 10 min and I ended up taking a Jahova brochure. The Jahova force was strong with that one.

In hindsight, I guess when it's your mission to go door to door in the hopes that someone will actually talk to you and not slam the door in your face, it's important not to get rattled by the guy who answers the door in his tighty whitey's. Next time they're getting the banana hammock.
Originally posted by NatralBrnThrila:

I thought I came up with a good idea one day and talked to a Jahova in my underwear. I thought for sure he'd get all flustered and F off...not a chance, he must have talked with me for at least 10 min and I ended up taking a Jahova brochure. The Jahova force was strong with that one.

In hindsight, I guess when it's your mission to go door to door in the hopes that someone will actually talk to you and not slam the door in your face, it's important not to get rattled by the guy who answers the door in his tighty whitey's. Next time they're getting the banana hammock.

Disturbing imagery, but pretty funny story.

(the rest is just indirect response in general)

Anyway, Alex was... what like 85 in QBR ( 7 Ts / 1 INT ) the last few games under M.J. and while that may mean nothing to some, I think that's not so bad considering the team around him. If he knocks out those numbers or better in these 4 games, I'm gonna hope he is resigned to at least compete for the starting job next season. Don't look at me like that... it's not like we have much worthwhile behind him on the roster. We can't roll into 2011 with NOTHING on the QB roster.

What I do not understand is WHY so many of you get so upset with those of us who do think he can be a good QB. So you disagree, so what? Why do you all feel that everyone must agree with your POV? Do you need 100% conformity to feel justified in your opinions? Just shake your head and forget about it. Not everyone sees things the same... not everyone looks at all factors of a situation. It's okay... relax... because none of our opinions means a thing when moves are made.

You could always ask them to pledge allegiance to the flag or ask them to Salute the flag before you listen to a word they have to say. They'll turn right around and walk away...

Anyway, Alex was... what like 85 in QBR ( 7 Ts / 1 INT ) the last few games under M.J. and while that may mean nothing to some, I think that's not so bad considering the team around him. If he knocks out those numbers or better in these 4 games, I'm gonna hope he is resigned to at least compete for the starting job next season. Don't look at me like that... it's not like we have much worthwhile behind him on the roster. We can't roll into 2011 with NOTHING on the QB roster.

[j/k] I hold many of the same opinions that you do regarding Alex. Where we differ is the idea of him being here next year. Mainly I just have a real hard time believing that he would even want to come back for more abuse. If I were him, 6 years of this sh*t would be more than enough of a reason to get as far away from the west coast as possible. This has become a very personal thing between Alex and the fans who want him out of here after what they did in the game against Philly. "WE WANT CARR" isn't just insulting, it may as well be a slap in the face. Honestly, if he actually wanted to come back I'd have to question whether the nay sayers are actually right about his alleged character flaws. Personally speaking, my own pride wouldn't allow me to take any more crap from this fan base. The majority of fans who attend the games have clearly moved on, so let the wound heal, is my whole feeling.

This last month is such a desperate ploy by Singletary to save his own ass, but I'm not sure anything can do that anymore. He and Alex are really going to have to pull a rabbit out of the hat here, and get this team playing good-great TEAM ball. Not an impossible task for most other teams, but basically a miracle is required here. I don't see it happening, but I hope I'm wrong.

What I do not understand is WHY so many of you get so upset with those of us who do think he can be a good QB. So you disagree, so what? Why do you all feel that everyone must agree with your POV? Do you need 100% conformity to feel justified in your opinions? Just shake your head and forget about it. Not everyone sees things the same... not everyone looks at all factors of a situation. It's okay... relax... because none of our opinions means a thing when moves are made.

I don't know where you get your figures but in the last 4 games Alex started he had 7 TD's, 4 interceptions and 1 lost fumble (I think we all remember that one) He had an all time career low point of the fans chanting WE WANT CARR! WE WANT CARR!

But I too hope he is resigned from this team ( I most certainly do not want them to re-sign him!)

[j/k] I hold many of the same opinions that you do regarding Alex. Where we differ is the idea of him being here next year. Mainly I just have a real hard time believing that he would even want to come back for more abuse. If I were him, 6 years of this sh*t would be more than enough of a reason to get as far away from the west coast as possible. This has become a very personal thing between Alex and the fans who want him out of here after what they did in the game against Philly. "WE WANT CARR" isn't just insulting, it may as well be a slap in the face. Honestly, if he actually wanted to come back I'd have to question whether the nay sayers are actually right about his alleged character flaws. Personally speaking, my own pride wouldn't allow me to take any more crap from this fan base. The majority of fans who attend the games have clearly moved on, so let the wound heal, is my whole feeling.

This last month is such a desperate ploy by Singletary to save his own ass, but I'm not sure anything can do that anymore. He and Alex are really going to have to pull a rabbit out of the hat here, and get this team playing good-great TEAM ball. Not an impossible task for most other teams, but basically a miracle is required here. I don't see it happening, but I hope I'm wrong.

I really don't see anything to disagree with here. I read all the Barrows and Maiocco articles... I know that the chances of Alex returning ( or maybe even wanting to return ) are slim. That's fine, and if it goes that way, no problem. He's gone and I'll cheer for every other QB that plays for SF. Just saying.... IF he wants to stay... and IF he plays pretty well... I would want SF to offer him an incentive contract to stay.

I have always said... When I see a season or a majority of a season with decent OL blocking... decent playcalling... decent receiver play... and Alex STILL craps the bed? Then I will be forever done with him and want him gone.

Did he play well? No... in stretches yes, but no overall. Did the OL blocking play decently? Hell no. Was the playcalling conducive to success? Hell no. Receiver play decent? Eh... some good, some bad... no big complaint there, I guess.

So bottom line is, I didn't see what I needed to see to determine clearly that Alex won't be a good QB if he has the things... the basic things... that most QBs are afforded.

I don't know where you get your figures but in the last 4 games Alex started he had 7 TD's, 4 interceptions and 1 lost fumble (I think we all remember that one) He had an all time career low point of the fans chanting WE WANT CARR! WE WANT CARR!

But I too hope he is resigned from this team ( I most certainly do not want them to re-sign him!)

Last 3 games, and no, I didn't look up the numbers or state firmly that I had. Last 3 games, he was around an 85-89 QBR with 6 TDs and 2 INTs. No, didn't look that up, but I think that's accurate. The fans are A-holes out for blood over anything Alex related. Fans suck in general, and he wouldn't be the first QB that Boo-birds came out for.

Last 3 games, and no, I didn't look up the numbers or state firmly that I had. Last 3 games, he was around an 85-89 QBR with 6 TDs and 2 INTs. No, didn't look that up, but I think that's accurate. The fans are A-holes out for blood over anything Alex related. Fans suck in general, and he wouldn't be the first QB that Boo-birds came out for.

Ok so he was 6 completions and 2 interceptions against Carolina, Oakland, and the Eagles with a 1-2 win loss record.

Carolina is the worst team in the NFL.

Oakland @ 6-6 is no better than the rams.

Now do you even remember the Philly game? The one otherwise knows as the WE WANT CARR, WE WANT CARR game? Alex sucked big time in that game! Now stat wise it was padded with several garbage yards and a couple TD's late in the 4th; but, it was truly a horrible day for Alex
[ Edited by D_Niner on Dec 10, 2010 at 10:39 AM ]
Tim Kawakami is a reflection of the 49er fanbase..... and thats not a good thing
Share 49ersWebzone