Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by Sims84:
Originally posted by JustaFan45:
This was suppose to be Alex breakout year, no excuses etc. but here we are still with excuses and what ifs!

that's what happens when your HC is an idiot. I have a team built to run a spread offense so lets run the ball up the gut every singlet play and then try and convert a 3rd and 15+. You can't expect a QB to be successful when playcalling puts them in a position to fail. It was the same way with Troy Smith. The only difference is that with Troy Smith he doesn't know enough of the playbook to make adjustments later in the game.

I agree with what you're saying but to me Alex is no different than Troy or Shaun Hill for that matter. All has had success at times only to falter when teams have film on them. With that being said Troy is 3-2 which put us in a position to even talk playoffs. 2 of his wins are against div. opponents (Rams & Cardinals) and no one really believed we would go to G.B and win that game w/o Frank Gore!

I just don't see the logic to put in Alex after going 1-5!

Because Alex Smith was progressing while Troy Smith was digressing. Alex played the harder portion of the schedule.

I still don't see the logic! You know as well as I do if Troy started the season like Alex did he would of been cut and Nate would be 3rd string. Now I'm not in any way suggest we cut Alex but I don't understand how he gets all these chances considering other QB's in the past only get 1 -2 foul-ups and they get pulled. Look at Carr he gets 1/2 a game(by the way that was enough for me)

If Troy Smith started the season out like Alex Smith did some of you would be b***hing that he got benched in the first place. Alex played a good game against NO and PHL. Because of Alex Smith we remained competitive against 3 of the best teams in the league right now in NO, ATL and PHL. If the defense had done their jobs we would have won against ATL and potentially NO and PHL.

He threw 2 int's vs NO (bad pass to gore and tipped pass at the LOS) but he FINISHED the game strong. He had 2 picks and a Fumble returned for a TD vs Philly and after the defense "did their job and got the stop" and gave the ball back with plenty of time on the clock, he of course got hit and threw that last interception, the story of his career. two more interceptions against ATL and we lost 16-14 after the defense held ATL (the best team in the league) to 13 points for 59 minutes and 55 seconds

I have never said that Alex Smith didn't have his WTF moments. But overall he has played pretty well. The problem is the haters only focus on the fact that they hate Alex Smith and look for anything negative to b***h about completely ignoring everything else. ZOMG Alex threw an INT. Reality? Alex Smith was hit while throwing the ball because Anthony Davis is a revolving door. ZOMG Alex Smith is the suxors! Reality? Alex Smith is playing pretty good with this patch job of an OLine and s**tty conservative play calling. ZOMG Alex Smith is Captain Checkdown. Reality? The WR's are not getting open, the Oline is not allowing Alex the time needed to go through his progressions so he has to dump it off to Gore.

Please don't label me a "hater" when I gave you my reasons for why he shouldn't be starting.

Like I said in another post this was suppose to be a "NO Excuses" year for Alex but after reading the above comments I see it's not the case.

you call them excuses while the non haters see the real situation. Why do you think Troy Smith was holding the ball so long? Do you think he likes the way it feels in his hands? No! He doesn't have any open receivers to throw it too! Why does Troy Smith have to scramble from the pocket so much? besides being so short he can't see over the line, because just like Alex Smith he is running for his life! Coincidences between the 2 QB's? I think not.

Hate on!!!
Originally posted by susweel:
Finally a writer who truly understands the situation. Even he is dumbfounded by all the support that this loser still receives from the fan base.

Great read

Smith lovers might want to read it twice

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawakami/2010/12/07/alex-smith-once-more-around-the-block-with-the-49ers-and-his-inexhaustible-fans/

From a poster in the article.

Alex Smith says:

December 7th, 2010 at 6:13 pm 29..

"Tim, I’m glad I have fans that will continue to make the same excuses for me. If I were on another team, I’d be gone by now. Thank you to coach Singletary and Jed York for letting me pretend to be a starting QB in the NFL!

I don’t care how many times I lose my job. I know I will always get it back as coach Singletary and told me yesterday. He also told me to look at the film. Take a real damn good look at it."

you call them excuses while the non haters see the real situation. Why do you think Troy Smith was holding the ball so long? Do you think he likes the way it feels in his hands? No! He doesn't have any open receivers to throw it too! Why does Troy Smith have to scramble from the pocket so much? besides being so short he can't see over the line, because just like Alex Smith he is running for his life! Coincidences between the 2 QB's? I think not.

Hate on!!!

So I'm a "hater" because I don't agree with you and I don't think Alex should be starting?

I don't think Goldson should be starting!

I don't think Rachal should be starting!

Would you be in an uproar about that and label me a hater?

I doubt it! Because it's becoming clear to me you are more a Alex fan than a Niner fan!

See I can't support the idea that the Niners would put one player (Alex) above the team by not bringing in competition like he is Tom Brady or Drew Brees and then goes out and wins one game and I'm suppose to be on board with him starting again?

Then I quess I'm a "hater" because what I see as excuses for Alex can't be used for other Qbs who step in with the same conditions!

So if Alex and Qb XYZ are dealing with the same circumstances and Qb XYZ are having the same if not more success(WINS) we should go back to Alex because of WHAT???????????

Hate on!!!

So I'm a "hater" because I don't agree with you and I don't think Alex should be starting?

I doubt it! Because it's becoming clear to me you are more a Alex fan than a Niner fan!

See I can't support the idea that the Niners would put one player (Alex) above the team by not bringing in competition like he is Tom Brady or Drew Brees and then goes out and wins one game and I'm suppose to be on board with him starting again?

Then I quess I'm a "hater" because what I see as excuses for Alex can't be used for other Qbs who step in with the same conditions!

So if Alex and Qb XYZ are dealing with the same circumstances and Qb XYZ are having the same if not more success(WINS) we should go back to Alex because of WHAT???????????
I hate Goldson and I hate Rachal. So please by all means say what ever you want about them. As for calling me a Alex fan, that's fine. But before I am a fan of a player I am a fan of 49ers. Right now Alex Smith gives us the best chance at winning. You want to talk about the win loss record, how about looking at the win loss record of the teams Alex played versus the teams that Troy played?

Alex Smith
8-4
6-6
8-4
10-2
9-3
6-6

47-25

Troy Smith
6-6
3-9
8-4
3-9
7-5

27-33

So please let's talk about wins and losses. Every team Alex Smith faced is .500 or above.

Hate on!!!

I hate Goldson and I hate Rachal. So please by all means say what ever you want about them. As for calling me a Alex fan, that's fine. But before I am a fan of a player I am a fan of 49ers. Right now Alex Smith gives us the best chance at winning. You want to talk about the win loss record, how about looking at the win loss record of the teams Alex played versus the teams that Troy played?

Alex Smith
8-4
6-6
8-4
10-2
9-3
6-6

47-25

Troy Smith
6-6
3-9
8-4
3-9
7-5

27-33

So please let's talk about wins and losses. Every team Alex Smith faced is .500 or above.
Alex didn't exactly "light it up" against the panthers either. He was 9-19 for 129 yards with a 47% completion rate before he got hurt and this is against the worst team in the NFL so make sure you take that into consideration. Troy has played an easier schedule and WON against those teams. Alex blew a few opportunities vs the seahawks in game one and also had some chances to beat the good teams but AS USUAL, it didn't work out.

So what do we have? We have two QB's that can't beat playoff caliber teams. PERIOD. It's that simple. Alex Smith has NEVER proved he can win against good teams and has been around for 6 years, Troy has been around for 4 years but only 8 games. There is no comparison. Troy got shut out at home and then lost to the Packers just like Alex, just like Steve, just like Jeff and just like Joe except in 1990, SO WHAT? Neither of them are good and Alex gets a lot of flack because he was a #1 overall pick 6 years ago and he gets mentioned in the same sentence as Shaun HIll, a journey man QB and Troy Smith, a 5th round QB. Do you see the problem here?

Hate on!!!

Alex Smith
8-4
6-6
8-4
10-2
9-3
6-6

47-25

Troy Smith
6-6
3-9
8-4
3-9
7-5

27-33

Alex didn't exactly "light it up" against the panthers either. He was 9-19 for 129 yards with a 47% completion rate before he got hurt and this is against the worst team in the NFL so make sure you take that into consideration. Troy has played an easier schedule and WON against those teams. Alex blew a few opportunities vs the seahawks in game one and also had some chances to beat the good teams but AS USUAL, it didn't work out.

So what do we have? We have two QB's that can't beat playoff caliber teams. PERIOD. It's that simple. Alex Smith has NEVER proved he can win against good teams and has been around for 6 years, Troy has been around for 4 years but only 8 games. There is no comparison. Troy got shut out at home and then lost to the Packers just like Alex, just like Steve, just like Jeff and just like Joe except in 1990, SO WHAT? Neither of them are good and Alex gets a lot of flack because he was a #1 overall pick 6 years ago and he gets mentioned in the same sentence as Shaun HIll, a journey man QB and Troy Smith, a 5th round QB. Do you see the problem here?
ok first thing, please learn how to properly quote. Second the Panthers game the play calling changed to a more run heavy conservative style after that initial TD on the opening drive. That was a big issue once Johnson took over. We would drive down for a TD on the opening drive then the play calling would change and we would go with a different game plan. It was like Singletary was satisfied with 7 points and was trying to run out the clock already.

The only problem I see is that the fact that people hold against Alex Smith that he was drafted #1 over all and his rookie contract as though they are the ones paying it. If some people could get passed those 2 things they would actually see that Alex isn't as bad as they think he is. When the play calling isn't run run run punt he gets into a rhythm and delivers. the play calling seems as though it is designed to keep ANY QB from getting into a rhythm. It puts unnecessary strain on the QB because he is always in a 3rd and long situation. So yes I do see a problem here and the problem isn't Alex Smith it is the coaching staff. Given time to learn the entire playbook I think that the possibility of Troy Smith being a good QB is a potential possibility as well.
Kawakami is a douche.

That's all I need to know to understand he's full of crap.

~Ceadder
Originally posted by Jamespowers:
This was suppose to be Alex breakout year, no excuses etc. but here we are still with excuses and what ifs!

that's what happens when your HC is an idiot. I have a team built to run a spread offense so lets run the ball up the gut every singlet play and then try and convert a 3rd and 15+. You can't expect a QB to be successful when playcalling puts them in a position to fail. It was the same way with Troy Smith. The only difference is that with Troy Smith he doesn't know enough of the playbook to make adjustments later in the game.

I agree with what you're saying but to me Alex is no different than Troy or Shaun Hill for that matter. All has had success at times only to falter when teams have film on them. With that being said Troy is 3-2 which put us in a position to even talk playoffs. 2 of his wins are against div. opponents (Rams & Cardinals) and no one really believed we would go to G.B and win that game w/o Frank Gore!

Because Alex Smith was progressing while Troy Smith was digressing. Alex played the harder portion of the schedule.

Alex Smith progressing? ? When? not this year for sure.

really? So you're saying that Alex Smith did not progress once Michael Johnson took over as the OC?

haters

Alex Smith was leading the league in interceptions by week 4. He was not progressing.
Originally posted by PatrickWillisHOF:

really? So you're saying that Alex Smith did not progress once Michael Johnson took over as the OC?

haters

Alex Smith was leading the league in interceptions by week 4. He was not progressing.

Actually he was progressing if you watch his entire games instead of focusing on the negatives. Guess what, Peyton Manning has thrown 7 interceptions in the past 2 games. Should the Colts cut him like 49er fans want to cut Smith? Smith has played pretty good this season. His problem is he can't stop having those WTF moments.
@ BackonTop, You tell me to learn how to properly quote but yet your post looks the same as mine with the most recent comment you are quoting, not being "grey out" I do not know why it is doing that. Anyways, the only game that we haven't had a conservative mentality was the Rams game except Troy MADE PLAYS himself even with all the penalties and still piled on 356 yards (more than Alex has EVER thrown for) and a WIN against a "6-6" team. Alex on the other hand BLEW plays against a "6-6" team (Seahawks) and made a great throw to Crabtree (Kudos) but THANK GOD Gore ripped off that 61 yard run vs the Raiders because our offense wasn't doing ANYTHING against that other "6-6" team and he threw the ball 33 TIMES for ONLY 196 yards.

It is plain and simple, Alex is not the answer. You defend this guy like you are his Agent and I do not understand. What has he done that leads you to believe he can be successful? He does not beat good teams, he is scared to give his WR's a chance to make a play down the field, his release is slow, he is VERY athletic but rarely uses it, he contines to throw the ball high and off target (even on check downs and swing passes), he makes COSTLY mistakes over and over and over and over. Why all the love for this guy? If you are a fan of the 49ers like you say you are, you would not want him starting anymore. We must rebuild and start over with coaches and in fairness to Alex, he does not need to be apart of a learning process AGAIN for what, the 7th time??? He needs to go somewhere else and start fresh and we need to start fresh as well. He is not the answer and he never will be the answer. he has proved this time and time again

Hate on!!!

Alex Smith
8-4
6-6
8-4
10-2
9-3
6-6

47-25

Troy Smith
6-6
3-9
8-4
3-9
7-5

27-33

ok first thing, please learn how to properly quote. Second the Panthers game the play calling changed to a more run heavy conservative style after that initial TD on the opening drive. That was a big issue once Johnson took over. We would drive down for a TD on the opening drive then the play calling would change and we would go with a different game plan. It was like Singletary was satisfied with 7 points and was trying to run out the clock already.

The only problem I see is that the fact that people hold against Alex Smith that he was drafted #1 over all and his rookie contract as though they are the ones paying it. If some people could get passed those 2 things they would actually see that Alex isn't as bad as they think he is. When the play calling isn't run run run punt he gets into a rhythm and delivers. the play calling seems as though it is designed to keep ANY QB from getting into a rhythm. It puts unnecessary strain on the QB because he is always in a 3rd and long situation. So yes I do see a problem here and the problem isn't Alex Smith it is the coaching staff. Given time to learn the entire playbook I think that the possibility of Troy Smith being a good QB is a potential possibility as well.
Funny how you lump all those Losses on Alex's shoulders. 5 of those Losses were straight up on the Defense. The KC game and the Seahawks were TEAM losses to boot. Nobody performed consistently. So say what you want but Troy wasn't keeping us in the Tampa game(first home field shutout in 32 years) or the Green Bay game. Look at the average point total in the 4 games that we lost with Alex putting together some real impressive drives. We lost by an average of 2.5 points in those games. Troy is not a bad QB but he has to wing the sucker to get down the field consistently. Defenses caught on to it and shut down the deep threat and kept him in the pocket.

Again I like Troy, I think he's a hell of a backup and would rather he be QB2 but not QB1 at the moment.

I just find it laughable that people continue to point at his W/L total like that's a fair representation of Alex's "suckage". That is such a short sighted comparison. Any fan worth their salt would correctly point out the level of competition faced. Only 10 year olds believe that it's a solid argument. Okay that's probably an overstatement on my part cause I know 10 year olds that don't use that kind of argument to support their opinion. They generally have something better to say. lol

~Ceadder
@ BackonTop, You tell me to learn how to properly quote but yet your post looks the same as mine with the most recent comment you are quoting, not being "grey out" I do not know why it is doing that. Anyways, the only game that we haven't had a conservative mentality was the Rams game except Troy MADE PLAYS himself even with all the penalties and still piled on 356 yards (more than Alex has EVER thrown for) and a WIN against a "6-6" team. Alex on the other hand BLEW plays against a "6-6" team (Seahawks) and made a great throw to Crabtree (Kudos) but THANK GOD Gore ripped off that 61 yard run vs the Raiders because our offense wasn't doing ANYTHING against that other "6-6" team and he threw the ball 33 TIMES for ONLY 196 yards.

It is plain and simple, Alex is not the answer. You defend this guy like you are his Agent and I do not understand. What has he done that leads you to believe he can be successful? He does not beat good teams, he is scared to give his WR's a chance to make a play down the field, his release is slow, he is VERY athletic but rarely uses it, he contines to throw the ball high and off target (even on check downs and swing passes), he makes COSTLY mistakes over and over and over and over. Why all the love for this guy? If you are a fan of the 49ers like you say you are, you would not want him starting anymore. We must rebuild and start over with coaches and in fairness to Alex, he does not need to be apart of a learning process AGAIN for what, the 7th time??? He needs to go somewhere else and start fresh and we need to start fresh as well. He is not the answer and he never will be the answer. he has proved this time and time again

There must be an issue with it, so I apologize. I defend the guy because of haters like yourself who are oblivious to the reality of the offense. You wonder why I want him to be the starter? because David Carr sucks, Troy Smith is even worse and he gives us the best chance at winning. Honestly I can't wait for Alex to finally be off of the 49ers roster. No player deserves to be s**t on as much as he has by both the organization and the fans. When he finally gets signed to another team and actually has legit NFL coaches you will see why he was drafted #1 overall.

haters

Kind of helps when your number one Receiver hits the dirt on 3 or 4 of those and tips a couple more into the hands of the nearest Defender.

Sadly you'll keep on this argument for the rest of your life and won't understand how ridiculous it is.

~Ceadder

haters

Actually he was progressing if you watch his entire games instead of focusing on the negatives. Guess what, Peyton Manning has thrown 7 interceptions in the past 2 games. Should the Colts cut him like 49er fans want to cut Smith? Smith has played pretty good this season. His problem is he can't stop having those WTF moments.

But but but but Peyton is a Super Bowl winning QB...*sarcasm*

~Ceadder
Originally posted by Ceadderman:

haters

Kind of helps when your number one Receiver hits the dirt on 3 or 4 of those and tips a couple more into the hands of the nearest Defender.

Sadly you'll keep on this argument for the rest of your life and won't understand how ridiculous it is.

~Ceadder

but but but Alex Smith is the suxors!!!
Share 49ersWebzone