LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 234 users in the forums

At QB right now who gives us the best chance to win?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

At QB right now who gives us the best chance to win?

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Can we add Justin Smith to the poll.
Originally posted by BrianGO:

Maybe we are putting Alex Smith back in the spread, but at this point, the idiocy is getting out of hand. If Singletary wanted to run the spread, he would have done it by now, right?

Ignoring your stain comment, I have to agree with this last part.

And there be the rub. Sing wasted this season on Smashmouth bell cow bullcrap.

We had a blueprint on what to do with Alex and for somebody so committed to the guy(still hadn't even taken is C away) he ignored the lessons of the past and went full steam ahead. Right into the iceberg that sank the Titanic. What a freakin ass.

~Ceadder
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by cris_sonic:
Nate Davis (demote David Carr to the practice squad) already seen what Alex Smith, Troy Smith has done might as welll see what #7 has!

Nate Davis is hot garbage! Just look at what Troy Smith did but multiply the suck by 10 and you have what Nate Davis will do.

Even if you multiply the suck by 10, you'll still have a guy who makes plays, although only 1/10th as often as Troy Smith; which would make him the second best play-maker we have on the team at the quarterback position.

Not even close, For every 1 play that Troy makes he misses 50. There is a reason why he has to extend plays, it's because he doesn't have the knowledge of the playbook to know where everyone is supposed to be so he has to attempt improvise on every single play. Even then he is so inaccurate that he doesn't even complete the passes.

I think if a quarterback completes 30+ yard touchdown passes hitting the receivers in stride, he is accurate. If the quarterback misses on slants or curls, it is more a result of timing with the WR's etc.
I would certainly agree that Alex Smith hits the short slants, curls etc, better than Troy Smith.
The double standard of course, is that we just kind of threw the guy in there, with almost no practice time, where Alex Smith has had a full season and another full off-season and training camp to practice the offense.

Perhaps we can agree, at the very least, that going back to Alex Smith makes Singletary look completely ridiculous, doesn't it?

hitting receivers in stride? Most of these so called 30+ yard TD's that your talking about were not hitting the receivers in stride. Hell look at the TD to VD( I love that ) against GB. That was all VD on that play. VD is the one that broke the tackles to take it to the house. Troy had two good throws against GB and that was about it. The pass to VD that was dropped and the pass to Ginn that he couldn't get his second foot inbounds. Every other pass was horribly inaccurate.

1) The perfect TD pass to VD in Green Bay.
2) The perfect long pass to VD which he dropped.
3) The perfect TD pass to Crabtree in London.
4) The perfect TD pass to Crabtree against Arizona.
5) The perfect deep pass to Josh Morgan against the Rams.
6) The perfect deep pass to Delanie Walker along the sideline against the Rams.
7) The perfect TD pass to Crabtree against the Rams.

And also, I didn't include the penalty plays. You say the penalty TD to Davis does not count, because it was all Davis. I can not disagree more with that. If the ball is not thrown in stride to Davis, he never would have had a chance to jump up and catch the ball.
Also, the throw in Green Bay, where T Smith threw the ball to Davis, who then jumped up and made the catch over the defender. If the ball is not thrown in that spot, Davis has no chance to make a play on the ball.

I mean come on, you have to give the guy some credit. Have any of our other quarterbacks made similar plays?
[ Edited by BrianGO on Dec 7, 2010 at 12:07 AM ]
Nate Davis (demote David Carr to the practice squad) already seen what Alex Smith, Troy Smith has done might as welll see what #7 has!

Nate Davis is hot garbage! Just look at what Troy Smith did but multiply the suck by 10 and you have what Nate Davis will do.

Even if you multiply the suck by 10, you'll still have a guy who makes plays, although only 1/10th as often as Troy Smith; which would make him the second best play-maker we have on the team at the quarterback position.

Not even close, For every 1 play that Troy makes he misses 50. There is a reason why he has to extend plays, it's because he doesn't have the knowledge of the playbook to know where everyone is supposed to be so he has to attempt improvise on every single play. Even then he is so inaccurate that he doesn't even complete the passes.

I think if a quarterback completes 30+ yard touchdown passes hitting the receivers in stride, he is accurate. If the quarterback misses on slants or curls, it is more a result of timing with the WR's etc.
I would certainly agree that Alex Smith hits the short slants, curls etc, better than Troy Smith.
The double standard of course, is that we just kind of threw the guy in there, with almost no practice time, where Alex Smith has had a full season and another full off-season and training camp to practice the offense.

Perhaps we can agree, at the very least, that going back to Alex Smith makes Singletary look completely ridiculous, doesn't it?

hitting receivers in stride? Most of these so called 30+ yard TD's that your talking about were not hitting the receivers in stride. Hell look at the TD to VD( I love that ) against GB. That was all VD on that play. VD is the one that broke the tackles to take it to the house. Troy had two good throws against GB and that was about it. The pass to VD that was dropped and the pass to Ginn that he couldn't get his second foot inbounds. Every other pass was horribly inaccurate.

1) The perfect TD pass to VD in Green Bay
2) The perfect long pass to VD which he dropped.
3) The perfect TD pass to Crabtree in London.
4) The perfect TD pass to Crabtree against Arizona.
5) The perfect deep pass to Josh Morgan against the Rams.
6) The perfect deep pass to Delanie Walker along the sideline against the Rams.
7) The perfect TD pass to Crabtree against the Rams.

And also, I didn't include the penalty plays. You say the penalty TD to Davis does not count, because it was all Davis. I can not disagree more with that. If the ball is not thrown in stride to Davis, he never would have had a chance to jump up and catch the ball.
Also, the throw in Green Bay, where T Smith threw the ball to Davis, who then jumped up and made the catch over the defender. If the ball is not thrown in that spot, Davis has no chance to make a play on the ball.

I mean come on, you have to give the guy some credit. Have any of our other quarterbacks made similar plays?

those passes were anything but perfect. And as I stated the TD pass to VD was all VD. He took a poor throw and turned it into something. The Crabtree pass in london he had to slow down to catch even though he was wide open. You are calling these passes perfect but they were anything but perfect. Most of these passes the receiver had to slow down to catch it. The only passes in which I could say were a close to perfect pass was the drop by VD and the pass to Ginn.
Does it matter? Both suck
Troy is 3-2

What's Alex Smith's record??? 1-5?

Troy still gives us the best chance to win. Now the real question should be... Do we even want to win?
Originally posted by BobS:
They both are terrible and couldn't make 3rd string on a real team.

This..

What does it frickin matter? Wanna bet they use the same defensive scheme they used last time if A Smith starts? Want to bet the result will be the same?
honestly i just dont even f**kin care anymore

All this from 1 poor preseason performance (out of 8) and some harsh words by a coach we know is full of crap.
[ Edited by 49erRider on Dec 7, 2010 at 12:45 AM ]
Originally posted by Ceadderman:

Maybe we are putting Alex Smith back in the spread, but at this point, the idiocy is getting out of hand. If Singletary wanted to run the spread, he would have done it by now, right?

Ignoring your stain comment, I have to agree with this last part.

And there be the rub. Sing wasted this season on Smashmouth bell cow bullcrap.

We had a blueprint on what to do with Alex and for somebody so committed to the guy(still hadn't even taken is C away) he ignored the lessons of the past and went full steam ahead. Right into the iceberg that sank the Titanic. What a freakin ass.

~Ceadder

Alex Smith is a "stain" because he confuses everything...

1) Alex Smith is a good quarterback when we throw all day long out of the shotgun formation.
2) Alex Smith is not a good quarterback when not throwing all day long out of the shotgun formation.
3) We will not throw all day long out of the shotgun formation.
Therefore, Alex Smith will not play like Superman and win back fans for a 7th season.

Even if we fire Singletary, it is TOO LATE. The ship has left the harbor.

How will fans react when they realize that Alex Smith is going to get a SEVENTH (!!!) season to prove himself? Do you think they are going to rush to the game in excitement to see what Alex Smith can do? Seventh time's a charm, anyone???

By putting Alex Smith back in the game, to play mediocre and finish out a poor season, we are accomplishing NOTHING, because Alex Smith is not going to be back for season 7. Why play a quarterback for the final 4 games of a lost season when he is not going to be on the team next year?

With Troy Smith or Nate Davis, we can at least hope they learn the offense etc, and get a fresh start next season.
With Alex Smith (who is not on the team next season), what is there to hope for? THAT is why I referred to him as a "stain" that will not go away. The "Alex Smith years" will be remembered as some terrible years, and by playing him again, we are only extending that period of time.

Originally posted by 49erRider:

All this from 1 poor preseason performance (out of 8) and some harsh words by a coach we know is full of crap.

1 poor performance??? Nate hasn't had a decent preseason performance yet. He consistently shows that he doesn't know the playbook in the same manner that it shows up in Troy Smith. Holding the ball entirely to long because they don't know where to go with the ball, scramble around for a bit and hope you can find a red jersey somewhere.
Alex is the better QB for sure. He does have that 1 WTF moment per game though like has been pointed out... We just don't have real good QB's. Troy Smith doesn't know the entire playbook, can't make all the throws and shouldn't be starting. It should be noted the absolute softball part of the schedule was Troy and the toughest games were at the beginning of the year when Alex was playing.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Alex is the better QB for sure. He does have that 1 WTF moment per game though like has been pointed out... We just don't have real good QB's. Troy Smith doesn't know the entire playbook, can't make all the throws and shouldn't be starting. It should be noted the absolute softball part of the schedule was Troy and the toughest games were at the beginning of the year when Alex was playing.

get your logic out of here
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
Neither with this oline.

OLine has played pretty decent the past 2 weeks.

Troy can't see over the O-line, that's why he's always rolling out. At least Alex is tall enough to stay in the pocket.
Originally posted by mayo49:
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
Neither with this oline.

OLine has played pretty decent the past 2 weeks.

Troy can't see over the O-line, that's why he's always rolling out. At least Alex is tall enough to stay in the pocket.

that's also why he is always getting sacked. The guy has horrible pocket awareness, even worse than Alex
Share 49ersWebzone