Anthony Davis vs. Clay Matthews

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by obx49:
Over/Under: 2 Sacks for Matthews.

I'll be optimistic I'll take the under.

I will take the wayyyy over.

No surprise there.
Look forward to false starts and tons of sacks .
The title of this thread make me depressed.

LB
Davis needs help, we dont need to get Matthews a head start having Davis on his own.
Originally posted by JerseyNiner:
anyone think theres a chance we can use clay mathews aggresiveness against him.....screens or hitting vernon davis on the seam quick....

Yes I do. I would run the ball right at him and see if he can handle Mr. Iupati.
Originally posted by rudedog:
Originally posted by JerseyNiner:
anyone think theres a chance we can use clay mathews aggresiveness against him.....screens or hitting vernon davis on the seam quick....

Yes I do. I would run the ball right at him and see if he can handle Mr. Iupati.

Huh? What is this magical play in which we're running to the right side and the backside guard is taking on the DE?

If you're referring to the 34 dive with Iupati pulling that we run over and over again, Iupati clear out the DT (if Rachal can't crash down) and goes to a LB on the second level. Davis & Davis double Matthews on that play. Basically, if Iupati is ever blocking Matthews, something has gone horribly, horribly wrong.

As for the topic, agreed on the screens. We run it all the time anyway. If the Pack aren't idiots they'll also by blitzing from that same side to take away Troy Smith's ability to roll out to the right (the same way the Giants were effective against Vick, just in reverse b/c Vick is left handed). Troy will be forced to throw across his body (which nobody is good at) or stay in the pocket (which he's not very good at). The screen is the only way for us to counteract that and slow down Matthews/the blitz from that side. We can also use the fake FB dive pitch that we've been running in the hopes that Matthews and the blitzing LB will crash down.

Also, planting Nate there all game is a horrible idea. Our offense works because of the two TE set with Davis and Walker. Throwing out 80% of what works for us to stop Matthews is a HUGE mistake. We're better off sticking with the two TE set we have and just leaving Vernon in to PB on five step drops (Vernon's fly route from last year has been taken away by everyone already anyway).
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ace49ers:
Davis needs help, we dont need to get Matthews a head start having Davis on his own.

Yeah that help is called the Tight End.
I imagine that Vernon will be handcuffed to Anhony Davis, just like he was against Arizona.
Iupati-Bass-Wragge-Snyder-Simms

i bet for this....
Originally posted by berumen:

i bet for this....

What type of line up is that? You want to move Simms back to RT where he struggled. In mid season you want to replace the back up center Baas with the back up to the back up. Then you want to move the rookie guard out to LT.

• Shifty
  • Veteran
Sims...Iupati...Baas...Snyder...Davis
Sing's filosofy is that everyone mans up and smacks his man backwards. No fancy formations, no special matchups.

Johnson may be allowed to run a couple plays to take advantage of some defender's style of play, but that is it.

You know if he does one of them there fancy things then people will want more and more and pretty soon it won't be 1984 anymore.
He will probably struggle, but these games are learning experiences for him. Down the road, he could be a better player with the lessons he learns in this game.
Originally posted by lamontb:
Originally posted by berumen:

i bet for this....

What type of line up is that? You want to move Simms back to RT where he struggled. In mid season you want to replace the back up center Baas with the back up to the back up. Then you want to move the rookie guard out to LT.

LOL I hope that's a joke.

Iupati at LT

-9fA
I'm more interested in seeing Travis laboy vs t-Rex arms Bryan bulaga.
Share 49ersWebzone