49ers vs. Seahawks Tickets Available! →

There are 768 users in the forums

Field Poll: Troy's Performance Tonight

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Field Poll: Troy's Performance Tonight

Originally posted by D_Niner:
Troy looks like a smart dude and has a lot of talent. I bet he's worked hard so that he won't have a repeat of the Bucs game.

What did you ask Santa for this year?
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by 49erFan:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by 49erFan:
While it's hard to predict how Troy will play tonight, it's clear what to watch for...

Tampa showed showed a blueprint to take Troy Smith out of his comfort zone. So it will be interesting to see if he can adapt, knowing he will probably be forced to play out of the pocket.

My read from last week, was Troy tried to do too much himself, and took too many sacks. Instead of looking for ways to escape the pressure, he is going to have to stand in there, and deliver the ball to his recievers. Or, at the very least throw it away.

If he can adapt and deliver the ball, he will be fine, and the game will open up for him later on with chances for him to scramble. However, if he shows happy feet, and starts taking sacks early, I would be surprised if he is not pulled, in favor of Alex.

I think it also depends on philosophy. Do the Cards have full understanding of the cover 2 and what to do against all looks? Cover 2 is Tampa's staple defense, so they know how to make the proper adjustments and communicate if something they see is different than planned. Who knows, it may be sort of new to ARI and they may blow a coverage.

They also may not have the matching personnel to play it that Tampa has.

I agree. The Cards are not the Bucs...

I just think in general, teams will "try" to force Troy to play from the pocket rather than allow him to rollout. And, lets face it, with the play of our offensive line, it's not a great spot for he, or any other QB to have to play from.

Your point about philosophy will also pertain to our own coaching staff*GULP* as far as how they will adjust the gameplan, to help Troy Smith get some early, quick completions.

I hope the Cards do try it because Troy has it under his belt and has seen it played against him on film along with the OC. I'm sure they are ready for it or they SHOULD be.

Indeed, they "should be". And I hope along with you, that it plays out that way. The players on our team need the coaching staff to start helping, rather than holding them back...
  • SFGem
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 279
i think troy's level of play tonight depends on the play calling. i'd like to see atleast some of the plays that were called against st. louis. we should throw on 1st down instead of run on 1st down. we ran on pretty much every first down last week against tampa and we saw how that worked out.

this is a very important game. they need to give troy a chance to throw the ball down the field. that's what made him so successful in the st. louis game in my opinion. i'd like to see long passes downfield on the first drive and throughout the game. make arizona's secondary win or lose the game.
Originally posted by verb1der:
Originally posted by baybreaker707:
Originally posted by verb1der:
Originally posted by Sjceruti:
Originally posted by theninermaniac:
Alex is a better QB than Troy

Glad somebody knows the truth...

Troy needs a 6 year test-run like they gave Alex, then it will be a fair comparison.

Alex has beaten the Cards many times. If Troy can't get anything going, the test-run should be over after tonight.

Aww c'mon, let's be fair now!

There's no way this would ever be fair. Putting Troy on the squad Alex had his first 3-4 years would be the only way to do so.
I bet that the AZ D will risk it and play Adrian Wilson closer to the line much more than normal and just dare Troy Smith to complete a throw to VD over the middle until he gets picked up by the FS playing a deep centerfield. Wilson won't be going one on one with VD (or Walker) all the way as they release off the line.

Or Adrian Wilson just stays deep and someone else plays up supporting the run.

Troy and Mike Johnson have to make them pay.
I want him to be successful with the niners, we need Troy to succeed so he can be around next year and warm the seat for LUCK, so Harbaugh or Gruden can have a qb who can play before the rookie gets his head straight..
Originally posted by D_Niner:
Troy looks like a smart dude and has a lot of talent. I bet he's worked hard so that he won't have a repeat of the Bucs game.

Sorry but after seeing the game again, I dont think Troy had a BAD game... A lot of things could have been done better but comparing to other recent QB play I wouldnt say bad... If Alex played the same game some would say it wasnt his fault, The O-Line sucks.. Since I'm not one to make Alexcuses he does need to get rid of the ball quicker being we know the protection wont hold.
Originally posted by boast:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by boast:
i think he'll go out and try to make plays.

Thanks for the indepth analysis. You should be a Niner beat writer.

sorry for not being a psychic and foreseeing how Troy will play actually tonight. i bet if you asked him, he would say that EXACT same thing i said.

Hey Dionne Warwick, no one said you have to be psychic. It's just for fun, lighten up.
I want Troy to play well, but am not completely convinced that he will. Last week, he made some bad decisions and generally played scared. Many of the sacks were shoestring tackles, which I do not see happening again.

Overall, I think he does well as our success hinges on Troy's performance!
Originally posted by Bluefalcon61:
I bet that the AZ D will risk it and play Adrian Wilson closer to the line much more than normal and just dare Troy Smith to complete a throw to VD over the middle until he gets picked up by the FS playing a deep centerfield. Wilson won't be going one on one with VD (or Walker) all the way as they release off the line.

Or Adrian Wilson just stays deep and someone else plays up supporting the run.

Troy and Mike Johnson have to make them pay.

This is why I don't see them using a similar game plan as the Bucs during most of the game. ARI loves to use Wilson close to the LOS or covering Vernon.

Personally, I hope we pass on EVERY 1st down the entire game.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 65,216
Originally posted by servegmo:
I want him to be successful with the niners, we need Troy to succeed so he can be around next year and warm the seat for LUCK, so Harbaugh or Gruden can have a qb who can play before the rookie gets his head straight..

If he does good then we won't have a chance at Luck.
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by D_Niner:
Troy looks like a smart dude and has a lot of talent. I bet he's worked hard so that he won't have a repeat of the Bucs game.

What did you ask Santa for this year?

A playoff win. How about you?
  • SFGem
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 279
i just have to go on record to say it's weird how much you guys are on andrew luck's jockstrap. luck could turn out to be another alex or ryan leaf. you guys are salavating over the kid. maybe it gives you something to hope for or i don't know. brady wasn't a first rounder and became one of the top qbs in the league. i mean football isn't an exact science but let you guys tell it luck is already a shoe in for the nfl hall of fame.

[ Edited by SFGem on Nov 29, 2010 at 13:41:07 ]
Originally posted by D-NOTTE:
Originally posted by D_Niner:
Troy looks like a smart dude and has a lot of talent. I bet he's worked hard so that he won't have a repeat of the Bucs game.

Sorry but after seeing the game again, I dont think Troy had a BAD game... A lot of things could have been done better but comparing to other recent QB play I wouldnt say bad... If Alex played the same game some would say it wasnt his fault, The O-Line sucks.. Since I'm not one to make Alexcuses he does need to get rid of the ball quicker being we know the protection wont hold.

He had a bad game; just not an Alex Smith bad game...
as long as he wins he'll start. in the end its just an audition for the coaching staff on next years team or some other team.
Open Menu Search Share 49ersWebzone