LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 130 users in the forums

Field Poll: Troy's Performance Tonight

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Field Poll: Troy's Performance Tonight

Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by rk1642:
Troy should have a big game tonight.

The Cards are giving up the most points per game in the NFC this year.

If we can't roll up the yards and points against this team, we are truely sad.

You're not fooling me into this one. We were supposed to be able to run like mad on the Bucs and get big plays on them but we are the only team NOT to do it to them.

Our playbook is only a page and that probably includes offense and defense. Flipping a play doesn't count as 2.

LOL
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by sixbricks:
The two Smith can walk into the sunset together to another team @ end of season; both suck

Troy played well 2 of 3 games he deserves to finish out the season. Unfortunately I think his bad game might of been the result of d-coordinators figuring him out. Many guys play well as back ups and in their first starts then go down hill fast.
Originally posted by BobS:
The two Smith can walk into the sunset together to another team @ end of season; both suck

Troy played well 2 of 3 games he deserves to finish out the season. Unfortunately I think his bad game might of been the result of d-coordinators figuring him out. Many guys play well as back ups and in their first starts then go down hill fast.

Obviously if figuring him out means "keep him in the pocket," he is not NFL caliber...LOL

In the Bucs game they hardly took a shot down field, the screens didn't work and he was running for his life at the snap of the ball.

I predict that if the Oline can give him anything close to an NFL pocket to pass from, he will do well.
It depends on the HC. If Singletary insists on running Gore up the gut, no QB is going to succeed.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by BobS:

Obviously if figuring him out means "keep him in the pocket," he is not NFL caliber...LOL

In the Bucs game they hardly took a shot down field, the screens didn't work and he was running for his life at the snap of the ball.

I predict that if the Oline can give him anything close to an NFL pocket to pass from, he will do well.

And I don't recall seeing a sprint play with a line shift for a new pocket to move him around like we did against the Rams. It's almost as if this coaching staff is heavily planning for divisional games only.
Originally posted by niner559:
"I think teams already have a blueprint to defend Alex also"

Have to disagree, Teams don't take things away from alex, he take them away himself. Alex has mental issues with throwing the ball, but he has all the skill to play this game. Just my opinion.

Yup. I think opposing D's simply bank on Alex inevitably making that errant throw eventually or making a bad decision at the worst possible critical moment, but are forced to be more honest with him in terms of covering all parts of the field.

If anything, the opposing D will take risk making him just roll out to the right and throw it out of bounds all day long.
  • dj43
Hopefully Troy has not been fully coached into being a "game manager." That being said, he really doesn't have a lot of options. TB showed how to keep him in the pocket as well as how easy it was to take away the middle and deep zones. So while AZ doesn't have the defensive talent of the Bucs, they do have the benefit of having viewed the film of how to do it.
Originally posted by dj43:
Hopefully Troy has not been fully coached into being a "game manager." That being said, he really doesn't have a lot of options. TB showed how to keep him in the pocket as well as how easy it was to take away the middle and deep zones. So while AZ doesn't have the defensive talent of the Bucs, they do have the benefit of having viewed the film of how to do it.

I wouldn't worry about Troy having the "Alex Smith complex". He's too vocal and too much of a leader to.
  • dj43

I wouldn't worry about Troy having the "Alex Smith complex". He's too vocal and too much of a leader to.

So was Alex before he was inoculated by Nolan and Friends.

Not to mention he is probably thinking, "These clowns wont even be here at seasons end."

• boast
  • Hella Fame
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by boast:
i think he'll go out and try to make plays.

Thanks for the indepth analysis. You should be a Niner beat writer.

sorry for not being a psychic and foreseeing how Troy will play actually tonight. i bet if you asked him, he would say that EXACT same thing i said.
While it's hard to predict how Troy will play tonight, it's clear what to watch for...

Tampa showed showed a blueprint to take Troy Smith out of his comfort zone. So it will be interesting to see if he can adapt, knowing he will probably be forced to play out of the pocket.

My read from last week, was Troy tried to do too much himself, and took too many sacks. Instead of looking for ways to escape the pressure, he is going to have to stand in there, and deliver the ball to his recievers. Or, at the very least throw it away.

If he can adapt and deliver the ball, he will be fine, and the game will open up for him later on with chances for him to scramble. However, if he shows happy feet, and starts taking sacks early, I would be surprised if he is not pulled, in favor of Alex.
Originally posted by 49erFan:
While it's hard to predict how Troy will play tonight, it's clear what to watch for...

Tampa showed showed a blueprint to take Troy Smith out of his comfort zone. So it will be interesting to see if he can adapt, knowing he will probably be forced to play out of the pocket.

My read from last week, was Troy tried to do too much himself, and took too many sacks. Instead of looking for ways to escape the pressure, he is going to have to stand in there, and deliver the ball to his recievers. Or, at the very least throw it away.

If he can adapt and deliver the ball, he will be fine, and the game will open up for him later on with chances for him to scramble. However, if he shows happy feet, and starts taking sacks early, I would be surprised if he is not pulled, in favor of Alex.

I think it also depends on philosophy. Do the Cards have full understanding of the cover 2 and what to do against all looks? Cover 2 is Tampa's staple defense, so they know how to make the proper adjustments and communicate if something they see is different than planned. Who knows, it may be sort of new to ARI and they may blow a coverage.

They also may not have the matching personnel to play it that Tampa has.

I think it also depends on philosophy. Do the Cards have full understanding of the cover 2 and what to do against all looks? Cover 2 is Tampa's staple defense, so they know how to make the proper adjustments and communicate if something they see is different than planned. Who knows, it may be sort of new to ARI and they may blow a coverage.

I agree. The Cards are not the Bucs...

I just think in general, teams will "try" to force Troy to play from the pocket rather than allow him to rollout. And, lets face it, with the play of our offensive line, it's not a great spot for he, or any other QB to have to play from.

Your point about philosophy will also pertain to our own coaching staff*GULP* as far as how they will adjust the gameplan, to help Troy Smith get some early, quick completions.

I agree. The Cards are not the Bucs...

I just think in general, teams will "try" to force Troy to play from the pocket rather than allow him to rollout. And, lets face it, with the play of our offensive line, it's not a great spot for he, or any other QB to have to play from.

Your point about philosophy will also pertain to our own coaching staff*GULP* as far as how they will adjust the gameplan, to help Troy Smith get some early, quick completions.

I hope the Cards do try it because Troy has it under his belt and has seen it played against him on film along with the OC. I'm sure they are ready for it or they SHOULD be.
Share 49ersWebzone