LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 436 users in the forums

Field Poll: Troy's Performance Tonight

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Field Poll: Troy's Performance Tonight

Could go a lot of ways today. I think the Niners will win, but I expect an ugly game, and Alex will somehow be the one with the ball in his hands at the end of the game. But, who knows with this team in their player personnel decisions.

Singletary is rolling the dice with Troy. Alex knows the Cards defense, and Troy is going against them for the first time.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by sixbricks:
The two Smith can walk into the sunset together to another team @ end of season; both suck

Yah both are pretty much garbage, but Troy is probably a little bit better.
Alex is a better NFL QB than Troy. Troy has talent, but I think the Bucs should the rest of the league how to defend him. He is good at buying time and making plays out of the pocket. If kept in the pocket he will hold the ball WAY too long and take a sack. I was hopeful with Troy at first, but I can see his shortcomings. Hope I'm wrong, but look to see Alex after Halftime.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Could go a lot of ways today. I think the Niners will win, but I expect an ugly game, and Alex will somehow be the one with the ball in his hands at the end of the game. But, who knows with this team in their player personnel decisions.

Singletary is rolling the dice with Troy. Alex knows the Cards defense, and Troy is going against them for the first time.

I think the best idea would be to put Alex in for the first and second to last drive of the game, Troy in for the last drive of the game, with some Gore in between.

Honestly, until Troy can consistently throw that short middle, he may not be our best option. However, he has only thrown 1 INT in 3 games, which is probably the least ratio of any Niners QB in the last 6 years.

The last thing this team needs is turnovers. It almost seems as though it gets demoralized after 1 fumble in the first quarter or the Head Coach puts them back into a shell in protect mode on offense.
I'd have to look at the film.
Originally posted by 94Niners:
I'd have to look at the film.

Thanks, Mike.
Originally posted by niner559:
Alex is a better NFL QB than Troy. Troy has talent, but I think the Bucs should the rest of the league how to defend him. He is good at buying time and making plays out of the pocket. If kept in the pocket he will hold the ball WAY too long and take a sack. I was hopeful with Troy at first, but I can see his shortcomings. Hope I'm wrong, but look to see Alex after Halftime.

I think teams already have a blueprint to defend Alex also. Also must factor in that Troy does not have much live experience while he is ONLY learning the gameday plan without much knowledge of the big picture playbook.

If they don't practice a lot of slants or curls in the middle that week, don't expect much of that from him on Sunday due to his lack of experience in this playbook.
Originally posted by Bluefalcon61:
My guess is that the AZ defense will try the same formula that the Bucs D did on Troy.

Contain him in the pocket and force him to throw from the middle into the short middle. Not just screens and short dumpoffs, but slants, crossing patterns, or seams where the receiver just sits and hopes Troy finds him.

IMO, Troy has to make a few of these throws early and make the Cards pay and defend the whole field. The Cards will stack against Frank Gore as usual.

Question is, will the Niner gameplan consciously attempt to do that or go again with what Troy is comfortable doing (roll outs, sideline passes, deep passes).

good stuff. i hope MJ's first 15 (or whatever the number is) scripted plays have some of these types of plays in there. if we have success, we go to those plays more often than not. i expect vernon to have a good night. he and walker should really be "go to" receivers tonight, unless something big opens up on the outsides.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by Joecool:

I think teams already have a blueprint to defend Alex also. Also must factor in that Troy does not have much live experience while he is ONLY learning the gameday plan without much knowledge of the big picture playbook.

If they don't practice a lot of slants or curls in the middle that week, don't expect much of that from him on Sunday due to his lack of experience in this playbook.

This

Also I dont see Sing turning back to Alex after s**tting on him in the media. Sing is a stubborn man once he turns on you he usually wont turn back.
"I think teams already have a blueprint to defend Alex also"

Have to disagree, Teams don't take things away from alex, he take them away himself. Alex has mental issues with throwing the ball, but he has all the skill to play this game. Just my opinion.

"I think teams already have a blueprint to defend Alex also"

Have to disagree, Teams don't take things away from alex, he take them away himself. Alex has mental issues with throwing the ball, but he has all the skill to play this game. Just my opinion.

The game plan would be to put 8 in the box and force Alex to actually throw to the receiver.
Originally posted by verb1der:
Originally posted by Sjceruti:
Originally posted by theninermaniac:
Alex is a better QB than Troy

Glad somebody knows the truth...

Troy needs a 6 year test-run like they gave Alex, then it will be a fair comparison.

Alex has beaten the Cards many times. If Troy can't get anything going, the test-run should be over after tonight.
Troy should have a big game tonight.

The Cards are giving up the most points per game in the NFC this year.

If we can't roll up the yards and points against this team, we are truely sad.
Originally posted by baybreaker707:
Originally posted by verb1der:
Originally posted by Sjceruti:
Originally posted by theninermaniac:
Alex is a better QB than Troy

Glad somebody knows the truth...

Troy needs a 6 year test-run like they gave Alex, then it will be a fair comparison.

Alex has beaten the Cards many times. If Troy can't get anything going, the test-run should be over after tonight.

Aww c'mon, let's be fair now!
Originally posted by rk1642:
Troy should have a big game tonight.

The Cards are giving up the most points per game in the NFC this year.

If we can't roll up the yards and points against this team, we are truely sad.

You're not fooling me into this one. We were supposed to be able to run like mad on the Bucs and get big plays on them but we are the only team NOT to do it to them.

Our playbook is only a page and that probably includes offense and defense. Flipping a play doesn't count as 2.
Share 49ersWebzone