There are 165 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

how far away are we....

With the current condition of our beloved 49ers I'm trying to sit back and think of just how far away are we from truly being competive? We have no stability in the front office.no coaching staff (except Rathman) and really no team speed, ( I was at the game Sunday and our team plays so slow) We do have talent in a few spots but there are big holes in many different areas O-line ,D-line, DB's, saftey, (Goldson isn't the answer)and another good LB
If we have a perfect offseason and get a PROVEN GM, HC and staff, have a good draft and a few good free agent pick ups. I think maybe two years. That's if everything falls into place...Any thoughts?
1 offseason away
Originally posted by valrod33:
1 offseason away

I hope so bro ..This sux!!!!
1 offseason away

Possibly. I still think we're 2 OL, maybe OT, speed WR, 2 cover CBs, NT, and OLB/Rush DE away from making a run IMO...If we can get this covered with a good HC, someone that can actually gameplan and make adjustments would get us in the right spot for sure.
1 offseason away

Valrod speaks the truth.
Originally posted by Ninerwinner:
1 offseason away

Possibly. I still think we're 2 OL, maybe OT, speed WR, 2 cover CBs, NT, and OLB/Rush DE away from making a run IMO...If we can get this covered with a good HC, someone that can actually gameplan and make adjustments would get us in the right spot for sure.

If we can get a HC, O-line, and beef up our swiss cheese secondary this team would make the playoffs
I don't think your question can be answered until after this offseason--too much has to happen. That being said, I think your two seasons timeframe is feasible, if a bit aggressive.

I tend to disagree with the notion that we already have the talent in place. Granted, we have a number of very talented players sprinkled throughout the team, but we don't have any talented units in place. Until we see those all-important building blocks establish themselves, we're still at least a year away. Hopefully we'll witness that next season.
with this ownership, it's up in the air. Would not surprise me one bit if after firing singletary, they promote Manusky and the cycle starts all over again. Not one bit.
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
The problem with the 49ers is not a lack of talent, it's a lack of coaching. Singletary's philosophy is killing the 49ers. Once the 49ers get a quality head coach, they will start winning.
10 more years. Might be a conservative estimate with this ownership though.
No coach, no QB, no o-line, no premier pass rusher, need 2 new starters in the secondary. 2-3 offseasons away
Originally posted by BubbaParisMVP:
I don't think your question can be answered until after this offseason--too much has to happen. That being said, I think your two seasons timeframe is feasible, if a bit aggressive.

I tend to disagree with the notion that we already have the talent in place. Granted, we have a number of very talented players sprinkled throughout the team, but we don't have any talented units in place. Until we see those all-important building blocks establish themselves, we're still at least a year away. Hopefully we'll witness that next season.

Yeah I agree with two seasons is aggressive,,alot does have to happen.You are right we don't have any talented units in place.But we do have some talented players in some key postions to build around . I think thats were we need to start to build those units up!! A good 4 added players on defense and we're not looking to bad. Offense ahhhhh needs major help..Special teams, our cover team needs help as well....
3 years.

OL will mature, and it is not hard to find serviceable FA guards. We are good at TE and RB. Need a speed receiver. The QB is what will take 3 years, to draft and develop our QBOTF.

DL we still need a premier pass rusher. LB can use an upgrade or two. Secondary is a big need.

After drafting the QBOTF a good rest of the draft in 2011 and good draft in 2012, plus a few FA pickups, should be enough.

And, it will take a couple of years to install and play a new offense and/or defense.

IF we have a good GM and IF we have a good HC.
we need a HC/QB combo
a good coach can get this team to the playoffs next year. so i agree with valrod.