LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 282 users in the forums

how far away are we....

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by dugo:
With the current condition of our beloved 49ers I'm trying to sit back and think of just how far away are we from truly being competive? We have no stability in the front office.no coaching staff (except Rathman) and really no team speed, ( I was at the game Sunday and our team plays so slow) We do have talent in a few spots but there are big holes in many different areas O-line ,D-line, DB's, saftey, (Goldson isn't the answer)and another good LB
If we have a perfect offseason and get a PROVEN GM, HC and staff, have a good draft and a few good free agent pick ups. I think maybe two years. That's if everything falls into place...Any thoughts?

gotta look at the tape...
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
A new QB, head coach, DB, #1 WR and rushing OLB away. This I say will take one more draft, the most two.

[ Edited by mayo49 on Nov 23, 2010 at 10:30:36 ]
  • dugo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Originally posted by dugo:
With the current condition of our beloved 49ers I'm trying to sit back and think of just how far away are we from truly being competive? We have no stability in the front office.no coaching staff (except Rathman) and really no team speed, ( I was at the game Sunday and our team plays so slow) We do have talent in a few spots but there are big holes in many different areas O-line ,D-line, DB's, saftey, (Goldson isn't the answer)and another good LB
If we have a perfect offseason and get a PROVEN GM, HC and staff, have a good draft and a few good free agent pick ups. I think maybe two years. That's if everything falls into place...Any thoughts?

gotta look at the tape...

2 games. 4 Division games left..
Aside from the obvious problem of coaching, we aren't as strong overall as I thought we were going into the season. Here are the biggest problems:

1. QB play
2. Overall lack of team speed
3. Lack of pass rush
4. Poor safety play
5. Slow receivers

If we can get these issues addresses the ship will be sailing again.
We are at least 3 years away from really being a contender for the superbowl.

First we need an entire new coaching staff with totally different style that we run now. This means even if we had the roster flushed out, it would take at least a year to master all of the changes. Seeing that we have many holes to fill it will take 3 years.

New Qb will take at least 2 but more realistically 3 years to master the playbook, reads, and the ability to see the game slow down for him.

We still need:

Speed wr
Oline? I'm still hoping on this one? We've spent way to much on this group already
Pass rush DE
OLB to rush
MLB
cover corner
Possible saftey

Of course we wont be able to keep everyone we have now so more holes will be opened up. Hopefully we can fill these with our own free agent pickups.

So if we draft perfectly and the ownership picks the right coaching staff, we still are 3 years away.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
We really won't know until a competent coaching staff takes over.
Originally posted by mayo49:
A new QB, head coach, DB, #1 WR and rushing OLB away. This I say will take one more draft, the most two.

Pretty much a bullseye. The key is a head coach with a winning system.
Jim Harbaugh is the first step. Lets get a REAL coach who is tough, smart, and knows how to build a winner. Not some idiot who drops his pants.

I really dont think we are that far away given the division we play in. There is no reason we shouldnt be a 9 win team at worst playing this schedule. Get a great coach, a new QB, and a passrusher and we can be a playoff team.
We're a QB and secondary away and those CAN be fixed in one offseason, but it'll be really tough

I would like to think one year, but I am now thinking 2-3 years away. Taht is, unless we get a roster overhaul...

OL - need major issues
RB - Gore is nearing his end
WR - our core is not nearly as good as we think
TE - we good here, although Vernon is beginning to look overrated
QB - major issues

DL - not most pressing, but definitely could use help
OLB - need better pass rushers
CB - need lots of help
S - may need help
MLB - we good here

I am less concerned about our defense, except our secondary. Our offense may need an overhaul. I see us needing QB, ROT, ROG, WRx2, RB, more reliable TE... CB is a major need on D, so I think all this would be hard to attain with 1 offseason...
I think its going to get worse before it gets better. Players aren't going to want to play here.
Jed doesn't have the experience to get this team where it needs to go. He needs help, but the first porblem is him not realizing it and failing to hire a GM. IF HE MISSES THIS NEXT YEAR, WE'RE DONE
HERE IS THE REAL ANSWER:

We are a head coach, an offensive coordinator, and a quarterback away. When that happens, we happen. Until then-This!
I think we are 2-3 years away--parts of the team are in decay and will have to be rebuilt to coincide to when we are good again.

Get the QB and fix the o line--and fix the secondary and get a pass rusher and get more speed at WR.

Get the QB--that is the most important---a good one can last 10-15 years---plenty of time to build around.
As long as the Yorks own the team, light years away. This franchise will never get anywhere with this weak pathetic front office. The Yorks will never put together a solid front office with a vision.
Share 49ersWebzone