LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 256 users in the forums

Time and time again it has been proven

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by backontop:

2nd in all purpose yards only due to the fact that Alex Smith had to dump the ball off to him so often because of the OLine.

Umm... or because Gore is good? You do know that Gore has been the top yards from scrimmage guy since 2006, right? I want you to do a quick count in your head how many different linemen, quarterbacks, and offensive coordinators he's had in that time period.

He's always done this. It's a part of his game and it's why he's a complete back. Unlike guys like Blount who can't catch or block.
Originally posted by Wodwo:

2nd in all purpose yards only due to the fact that Alex Smith had to dump the ball off to him so often because of the OLine.

Umm... or because Gore is good? You do know that Gore has been the top yards from scrimmage guy since 2006, right? I want you to do a quick count in your head how many different linemen, quarterbacks, and offensive coordinators he's had in that time period.

He's always done this. It's a part of his game and it's why he's a complete back. Unlike guys like Blount who can't catch or block.

Ummm...you do realize that Gore isn't exactly a spring chicken anymore right? I'm not saying he is over the hill, I just don't think he should be the one that the offense centered around. He has been the center of the offense just about since he was drafted and look at how well that has turned out for us so far.

Ummm...you do realize that Gore isn't exactly a spring chicken anymore right? I'm not saying he is over the hill, I just don't think he should be the one that the offense centered around. He has been the center of the offense just about since he was drafted and look at how well that has turned out for us so far.

Agreed. We have too many weapons to be so focused on Gore. He should be used as a weapon, but not as the focal point for everything.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran

Really? You're going to start worrying about his age at 27? It's not like he's lost a step. He's not showing signs of age. When he shows signs of age, then I'll worry. He's not old, but he's a grown ass man. He can decide for himself when his body needs a rest.

Anyway, that wasn't the point. The point was that he's the centerpiece of the offense because he's good. He's getting receptions and carries because he's good. Not because he's some last ditch option check down on every play. We design plays to throw him the ball.

I've got no problem spreading the ball around, but you guys are giving all the wrong reasons for doing it. We need to spread it around so that we aren't predictable on every damn play. We need to mix up our run plays, too. This "Power O" crap is driving me absolutely nuts. Defenses watch film... they know our tendencies... you can't just impose your will on an NFL defense. Mike Singletary is a f**king moron. He's the problem, not Gore.

Jeebus... Gore is the only consistently good offensive player this team has had since 2004. You'd think he'd get a little more respect around here. Instead we get threads like this one or "What do you think Gore's trade value is?". It's totally insane. I just don't get it.

Before I end my rant, I have one more thing to add. WTF is wrong with a check down pass? Is is somehow less legitimate than any other play? Is it because it isn't exciting enough for you? Does it make a QB or RB or TE lame to throw/catch a check down pass? How many times has Gore won games for us on clutch check down passes? I know we almost always get at least one first down using them in the clutch moments of a game. Look at the freaking Rams game. Third and freaking 32 with 2:30 left to play an we complete two check down passes to Gore to convert on 4th down. Seriously? What's everyone's problem with the check down pass? WTF?

Ok, thanks... I feel better now. All the pent up frustration from the game today has to come out somewhere.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by binary2nd:

Agreed. We have too many weapons to be so focused on Gore. He should be used as a weapon, but not as the focal point for everything.

It's perfectly fine to have a focal point. Just don't be a f**king moron like Singletary and think that if you get guys who are big enough and strong enough and you execute your play perfectly that you can impose your will on an NFL defense even when they know what play is coming.

Idiocy. Fire this moron. No, wait... show him a f**king calendar so he can see what f**king year it is, then make him eat it, s**t it out, and eat it again, then fire him.

Mruuuhhhgggaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrggghhhhhhh!!!!!!!!

Ok, all better now.

Really? You're going to start worrying about his age at 27? It's not like he's lost a step. He's not showing signs of age. When he shows signs of age, then I'll worry. He's not old, but he's a grown ass man. He can decide for himself when his body needs a rest.

Anyway, that wasn't the point. The point was that he's the centerpiece of the offense because he's good. He's getting receptions and carries because he's good. Not because he's some last ditch option check down on every play. We design plays to throw him the ball.

I've got no problem spreading the ball around, but you guys are giving all the wrong reasons for doing it. We need to spread it around so that we aren't predictable on every damn play. We need to mix up our run plays, too. This "Power O" crap is driving me absolutely nuts. Defenses watch film... they know our tendencies... you can't just impose your will on an NFL defense. Mike Singletary is a f**king moron. He's the problem, not Gore.

Jeebus... Gore is the only consistently good offensive player this team has had since 2004. You'd think he'd get a little more respect around here. Instead we get threads like this one or "What do you think Gore's trade value is?". It's totally insane. I just don't get it.

Before I end my rant, I have one more thing to add. WTF is wrong with a check down pass? Is is somehow less legitimate than any other play? Is it because it isn't exciting enough for you? Does it make a QB or RB or TE lame to throw/catch a check down pass? How many times has Gore won games for us on clutch check down passes? I know we almost always get at least one first down using them in the clutch moments of a game. Look at the freaking Rams game. Third and freaking 32 with 2:30 left to play an we complete two check down passes to Gore to convert on 4th down. Seriously? What's everyone's problem with the check down pass? WTF?

Ok, thanks... I feel better now. All the pent up frustration from the game today has to come out somewhere.

Wow way to completely ignore what I wrote. Did you not see the part where I said he is not over the hill?? Like I said in my previous posts, Gore is good but doesn't deserve to have an offense centered around him. Hell there isn't an offense in the NFL that should be centered around a RB! Why you might ask? because then all you have to do is stack the f**king box like defenses do to us! Now your center piece is taken out of the game, what are you going to do now? This is the predicament that 49ers get in just about every week when Gore is struggling. You center your offense around the QB and provide weapons for that QB to use. Frank Gore would be one of those weapons at the disposal of the QB. He can hand the ball off to Gore like Singletary wants or they can pass it to Gore out of the backfield. You spread the ball to the TE's and WR's to create running room for the RB. The RB gets going and starts to take the pressure off of the QB by forcing the defense to respect the run. Notice how everything comes back to the QB and not the RB? QB= center of offense RB= tool for QB to use.

thread!!!!!
Gore is and should be an integral part of the offense...but, MJ will have to find a variety of ways to get himthe ball. When the ground game's not working, he needs to be used as a receiver more. He's still very good with some running room. Yesterday, he didn't have much, if any. That's where adjustments come into play...unfortunately neither our head coach nor OC have that ability. In MJ's defense, he's learning on the job, so should get better over time. That can't be said of Singletary...who's shown no progress in two years as head coach. He likens Gore to Sweetness...only FG's not him nor does he have an OL like Da Bears had then.

Wodo. I'm starting to think that in a former life your name was TopCat or Tim. Could I be right?
not Gore's fault brah. Play calling, QB, coaching, strategy, team...any back would struggle in this set up.
Nothing against Frank, but look at the Rams and Stephen Jackson. As long as SJ was the focus he put up very Frank like numbers, he has been as large a part of their offense as Frank has been ours. How well did it work for them? About the same as it has been working for us, we need to focus our offense around the QB even if our QB sucks, we will have more success, this is a QB driven league if you try to win running first you won't go far. Sure their is always one or two teams that do well running, but if you don't chuck the rock you won't win in the NFL.

then run will never work if there is no fear of the pass. The run will never work if it is the same play 70% of the time.
I honesty believe that Singletary was planning on playing in tons of rain on sunday, so he went back to good ol' conservative run gore up the middle all day.
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Gore cannot consistently break long runs and gain enough yards to keep the sticks moving. Some of that is on the line, some that is on Gore, and a lot of that is on the predictable offensive game plan.

Whatever the case, the proof is in the pudding. Gore has something like 2 runs of greater than 20 yards for the whole season.

It should be clear by now (whether it's Gore's fault or not) that we cannot run the ball. We cannot run to setup the pass. We have to in fact pass to set up the run. It's been clear from before Week 1, but Singletary didn't want to get it, didn't get it, and this is what he got.

FAIL.
Originally posted by TDNiners:
that if your offensive game plan centered around Gore 99% of the time the 49ers will lose.

Gore is not in the mold of other famous 49er backs. He is not explosive, one dimensional, and can't create his own holes. He is OK. Not a superstar. He is not a threat to take it all the way. There is no fear.

Great point. Some of Gore's plays can really the opposing team, but he is not a dominating back. He plays a big part in a win if things go right, but when things go wrong, Gore isn't the guy to save the team.

At the beginning of the season, I hoped that A. Smith would finally overcome his prior problems and become such a player, but he didn't.

Post-2010 49ers' fate will be interesting to ponder. The team is in desperate need of a QB, and Gore is close to past-prime.
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Nothing against Frank, but look at the Rams and Stephen Jackson. As long as SJ was the focus he put up very Frank like numbers, he has been as large a part of their offense as Frank has been ours. How well did it work for them? About the same as it has been working for us, we need to focus our offense around the QB even if our QB sucks, we will have more success, this is a QB driven league if you try to win running first you won't go far. Sure their is always one or two teams that do well running, but if you don't chuck the rock you won't win in the NFL.

The good running teams have the benefit of having a great OL. The 49ers OL is far from that. In fact everything starts with competent OL play. The 49ers are the one of the most penalized teams (I think they are the most, but I'm too lazy to look up to verify now). You don't win in close games when your OL players stall drives with stupid penalties.
Share 49ersWebzone