LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 237 users in the forums

With Today's Loss, Does Alex Smith start next week?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

With Today's Loss, Does Alex Smith start next week?

Originally posted by LundyLove:
I don't think it matters anymore
He may have too.

Unless Troy Smith brings a foot stool out there so that he can throw over the middle.
No question, Troy buys more time with his feet, but his decision making was pretty poor today. We can blame the playcalling if we want, but when Troy had time, he failed on a number of occasions. I think Alex would have been more productive. I honestly am on the fence here on who to start. I think because of the circumstances of Alex's "demotion" (injury), you should start Alex next week. If he sucks it up, then play Troy for the remainder. The idea is to make sure you know what both QBs can give to the team. I still believe that Alex can be our starting QB, but he will need to play better behind a terrible OL. Troy has better feet, but his decisions and "backyard football" tendencies seem played out already.
Originally posted by PatrickJira411:
  • tn9er
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
Singletary is going to look like a retard either way. First he fully backed Alex and that didnt work out. Then he threw Smith under the bus and fully backed Troy...and now he got figured out...and here we are.

It took two games to figure out Troy. Our coaches should have known this...and we make NO adjustments at halftime? None.

This falls squarely on the coaches. I don't give a sht about QB right now.

Why do people keep saying that?

We had 6 pass attempts in the first half. We came out the second half still handing off to Gore. Then in the fourth quarter we decided to pass. He threw one INT, big deal. From that point on they took away the big play, our Oline couldn't block, no one got open. We couldn't adjust on O.

Think about it, it's been the same story every year now for the last 5 years reguardless of who the QB is!!!
I think Alex starts because he is the better pocket passer. Troy Smith was forced to throw from the pocket today, which he showed he is not good at. Kurt Warner who admitted that he didn't have a lot of time to watch the film on these teams was able to see that Troy Smith hadn't shown that ability coming into this game. The Bucs' plan was simple, load the box and force Troy Smith to beat you in the pocket - he could not do that. I think if we stick with Troy Smith it will resemble last year with Shaun Hill, explosive wins and then defenses zone in on how to stop him and we see why he's been a career backup.

There was a great deal of luck involved in those two wins that Troy had. Honestly, several of the balls he threw that ended up for big gains were just thrown up for grabs. He also threw some balls falling down wildly. Yes Alex had a lot of INT's but almost all of his came off of tipped balls. Troy should've had 6 INT's by now with the way he's played fast and loose with the ball.

Today just underscored why Baltimore cut him and why he's been a backup and how Joe Flacco as a rookie beat him out for the job. He does not have an ability to be a pocket passer. At least 4 of the sacks today were his fault. He looked confused and unable to read the defense when they dropped 7 in coverage. He didn't know when to throw the ball away. Think about the play that he had when he rolled out to the left and tried to run it and took a 3 yard sack, at least Alex throws the ball away in that situation and keeps from the negative play. Troy will win you games like he did last week, but, he'll probably lose a lot more for you like this week.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by NickSh49:
Originally posted by oldman9er:
No question, Troy buys more time with his feet, but his decision making was pretty poor today. We can blame the playcalling if we want, but when Troy had time, he failed on a number of occasions. I think Alex would have been more productive. I honestly am on the fence here on who to start. I think because of the circumstances of Alex's "demotion" (injury), you should start Alex next week. If he sucks it up, then play Troy for the remainder. The idea is to make sure you know what both QBs can give to the team. I still believe that Alex can be our starting QB, but he will need to play better behind a terrible OL. Troy has better feet, but his decisions and "backyard football" tendencies seem played out already.

This
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by NickSh49:

that's all you say...seriously?

Nice to know YOU can be objective
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
I honestly think Asked would have played even worse if that's even possible. Our line was not giving any time to pass at all. Alex probably would have gotten sacked like ten times and thrown 3 int's.

I honestly think Asked would have played even worse if that's even possible. Our line was not giving any time to pass at all. Alex probably would have gotten sacked like ten times and thrown 3 int's.

You never disappoint, you should become a fiction writer.

Ehhhh no. Alex has scored a TD on the opening drive of three out of the last 4 games. We didn't even get into the redzone today.
Originally posted by jonnydellfan:
I think Alex starts because he is the better pocket passer. Troy Smith was forced to throw from the pocket today, which he showed he is not good at. Kurt Warner who admitted that he didn't have a lot of time to watch the film on these teams was able to see that Troy Smith hadn't shown that ability coming into this game. The Bucs' plan was simple, load the box and force Troy Smith to beat you in the pocket - he could not do that. I think if we stick with Troy Smith it will resemble last year with Shaun Hill, explosive wins and then defenses zone in on how to stop him and we see why he's been a career backup.

There was a great deal of luck involved in those two wins that Troy had. Honestly, several of the balls he threw that ended up for big gains were just thrown up for grabs. He also threw some balls falling down wildly. Yes Alex had a lot of INT's but almost all of his came off of tipped balls. Troy should've had 6 INT's by now with the way he's played fast and loose with the ball.

Today just underscored why Baltimore cut him and why he's been a backup and how Joe Flacco as a rookie beat him out for the job. He does not have an ability to be a pocket passer. At least 4 of the sacks today were his fault. He looked confused and unable to read the defense when they dropped 7 in coverage. He didn't know when to throw the ball away. Think about the play that he had when he rolled out to the left and tried to run it and took a 3 yard sack, at least Alex throws the ball away in that situation and keeps from the negative play. Troy will win you games like he did last week, but, he'll probably lose a lot more for you like this week.

Good points.

Don't know if the Niners coaching staff conceded that Troy Smith really isn't capable of throwing over the middle consistently, and stuck to the same gameplan last week, or they did try to put in new routes over the short middle (between defenders playing up and DBs dropping deep) and Troy still could not execute.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by binary2nd:

Ehhhh no. Alex has scored a TD on the opening drive of three out of the last 4 games. We didn't even get into the redzone today.

Troy threw for 300 last week so past means nothing.
If we start Alex next week, I am done watching this year. We all know he sucks. I beleive it is not the QB it is the coaches and the play calling. Run run run this week zero points. Last week 356 yards passing. Win. Anybody else see the correlation?
Share 49ersWebzone