There are 201 users in the forums

What do you think our record would be if T. Smith was our starting QB this year?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

What do you think our record would be if T. Smith was our starting QB this year?

Originally posted by teeohh:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
I am trying to hold back.....but I give up. This is the dumbest board ever. 58% believe our record with Troy Smith would be 6-3 or better.

Do any of these 58% of people watch the NFL, or look at league standings. Right now, there is a grand total of ONE team with a 7-2 record in the NFC, and these teams at 6-3: The Saints, Eagles, Bucs, Packers, Bears, and Giants. All of these teams have greatly outplayed us this season.

Did any of these 6-3 people include in their rationale the offensive genius of Jimmy Raye, and the mastermind of coaching, Michael Singletary. Do they honestly believe that the simple insertion of Troy Smith would have magically made Jimmy Raye the next Steve Mariucci and Singletary the next Bill Walsh.

Somebody tell me what planet I am living on, because something strange is afoot in this kingdom.

Get off the crack pipe, people, and join the world of reason and intellect.

P.S. Little reality check. Even with the outstanding performance of Troy Smith on Sunday, the team scored only 20 points in regulation, and had to go to overtime, AT HOME, to beat a team that is 0-5 on the road this season.

To state the Niners would be 6-3 or better is to state that Mike Singletary is a good coach, and this is a good team, and that the ONLY reason why this team has not performed well this season is Alex Smith. This thinking is not only absurd, but an insult to anyone who has had their eyes open to the disaster of Singletary in 2010. And for that, I pull down my pants to embarrass you. Rally in the second half, people.

I wish like Mel Kiper, you only showed up during draft time.

I actually agree with him for the most part. The schedule was way harder at the beginning and we had Jimmy as the OC. s**t still would've turned out the same.

I know, I'm just tired of the fact that he's a condescending asshat.

Eh, you got a point there.
  • Blitz
  • Veteran
I am trying to hold back.....but I give up. This is the dumbest board ever. 58% believe our record with Troy Smith would be 6-3 or better.

Do any of these 58% of people watch the NFL, or look at league standings. Right now, there is a grand total of ONE team with a 7-2 record in the NFC, and these teams at 6-3: The Saints, Eagles, Bucs, Packers, Bears, and Giants. All of these teams have greatly outplayed us this season.

Did any of these 6-3 people include in their rationale the offensive genius of Jimmy Raye, and the mastermind of coaching, Michael Singletary. Do they honestly believe that the simple insertion of Troy Smith would have magically made Jimmy Raye the next Steve Mariucci and Singletary the next Bill Walsh.

Somebody tell me what planet I am living on, because something strange is afoot in this kingdom.

P.S. Little reality check. Even with the outstanding performance of Troy Smith on Sunday, the team scored only 20 points in regulation, and had to go to overtime, AT HOME, to beat a team that is 0-5 on the road this season.

To state the Niners would be 6-3 or better is to state that Mike Singletary is a good coach, and this is a good team, and that the ONLY reason why this team has not performed well this season is Alex Smith. This thinking is not only absurd, but an insult to anyone who has had their eyes open to the disaster of Singletary in 2010. And for that, I pull down my pants to embarrass you. Rally in the second half, people.

I see your point. And I also see several very close games that we could have won had we had even marginally improved QB play.

My, how soon people forget the effects of the turnover's of our former QB. AS killed us with those TO's. You get a QB in there with the same production as AS minus even half the TO's and yes, some of those close games go our way and not there's. To think otherwise, is absurd

Again, I see your point about the coaching. However, lets not minimize the effect of A Smith's QB play...particularly the TO's.

I actually agree with him for the most part. The schedule was way harder at the beginning and we had Jimmy as the OC. s**t still would've turned out the same.

MadDog is right there. We'd be the same or 4 - 5 at best. This is just not a real good team. All softballs are lined up right now and lots of home games. Quite an avantage for Troy Smith I'd say. I'd like to see him at KC at Arrowhead. I bet Troy would not do as well there.
Quick, somebody extend Singletary's contract for the next 50 years, and while we are at it, apologize for criticizing him this season. We were obviously blind to the genius of Singletary, and now that the veil has been lifted we all can see the truth...A. Smith sabotaged his exceptional coaching year with poor play. Poor Mike.

In fact, why don't we name him coach of the year. We just beat a team who is winless on the road...................in OT.

If only T. Smith could have started 5 years ago. We'd have 5 Super Bowl rings under another coaching genius...Mike Nolan.
I think he only gets one more win. Remember, Jimmy raye started the season as OC and even troy smith couldn't over come his lousy playcalls. Johnson put Smith in a position to win against the Rams. We still would have lost against Seattle because of Jimmy Raye and the same thing in KC. Perhaps it wouldn't have been as bad, which only means Jimmy Raye stayed longer.

In addition, I don't think Smith knew enough of the playbook at the beginning to really do much. They would have relied even more on Gore knowing the QB wasn't ready.

So I say he gets us the Panthers game. Atlanta and NO were lost by the D.
Originally posted by Blitz:
I see your point. And I also see several very close games that we could have won had we had even marginally improved QB play.

My, how soon people forget the effects of the turnover's of our former QB. AS killed us with those TO's. You get a QB in there with the same production as AS minus even half the TO's and yes, some of those close games go our way and not there's. To think otherwise, is absurd

Again, I see your point about the coaching. However, lets not minimize the effect of A Smith's QB play...particularly the TO's.

I think you're absolutely right. Next to T. Smith's plainly better play, the turnovers are the most tangible part of this "what if" discussion and they also have the most obvious and far reaching consequences. That's not to say that the more open playbook that T. Smith has earned doesn't have something to do with it, but compared to the catastrophic effect of those turnovers and the better overall play of T. Smith, the playcalling is tertiary at best.
  • Blitz
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BubbaParisMVP:

I think you're absolutely right. Next to T. Smith's plainly better play, the turnovers are the most tangible part of this "what if" discussion and they also have the most obvious and far reaching consequences. That's not to say that the more open playbook that T. Smith has earned doesn't have something to do with it, but compared to the catastrophic effect of those turnovers and the better overall play of T. Smith, the playcalling is tertiary at best.

Agreed. Bad coaching or not...they were absolutely correct in their diagnosis of TO's being the main problem (by far), followed by the problem of a QB "not making plays when plays needed to be made" with this offense. So far, T Smith has corrected both of those issues. It's made a huge difference.

[ Edited by Blitz on Nov 16, 2010 at 20:06:34 ]
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

MadDog is right there. We'd be the same or 4 - 5 at best. This is just not a real good team. All softballs are lined up right now and lots of home games. Quite an avantage for Troy Smith I'd say. I'd like to see him at KC at Arrowhead. I bet Troy would not do as well there.

4-5 is better than 3-6.
You can't isolate the QB from the whole of the coaching philosophy.

Sing is more responsible for the record more than any QB is.

Of course, T.Smith is more dynamic than A.Smith and might have pulled out an additional win despite the best efforts of Sing to insert his wingnut theories.
Originally posted by jeepzilla:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
4-5. Some of those games we got close in were only because Smith was able to get us there. I'm not sure we'd have had much more success with Troy, but I can surely see us winning at least one more because of a little more escapability being factored in.
Troy is clearly the starter until he does something to show he can't. When you've got a hot hand like this, and you're team is winning, you can't go back to what you had. I'm very happy for Troy. He's a winner.

Just the mobility factor? What about leading the league in picks? Fumbling the ball away?

Please watch film on each of those picks and come back here and say that again with a straight face. I'm not saying I'd rather have Alex, but some stats are team stats as opposed to a reflection of how one particular player has performed. With our line the way it is, I think Troy is the better choice.

I still want us to spend a 1st round pick on a qb this off season no matter who finishes this season as starter. And then I want that rookie to sit on the pine for a couple seasons.

• TheNef77
  • Q46 Draft 3rd place
You guys have to realize that he just came in right after the pre-season so he wouldn't make a difference right away. I say the only game that he would've changed would be the Carolina game.

4-5
  • dj43

The close games are a dangerous drug to those who see them as an indication this team is just a QB away from a serious playoff run.

Everyone should know that good teams often overlook a weaker team on their schedule and do not come as ready to play. Conversely, a weak team sees a good team and gives more effort than the might otherwise. The common result is a score that is closer than the comparable talent level may indicate.

Anyone that thinks this team is really as close in talent to Atlanta and NO as the scores turned out has fooled themselves.
Originally posted by carlgo:

Of course, T.Smith is more dynamic than A.Smith and might have pulled out an additional win despite the best efforts of Sing to insert his wingnut theories.

Sing does not throw the ball. Sing does not fumble the ball. Sing is not out there on the field making the decisions.

Alex Smith is.. or was.

You take Peyton Manning out of the offense in Indy and I guarantee the ship sinks over there. Curtis Painter is their back up and he stinks, just like Alex Smith. I'm not saying Troy Smith is the Peyton Manning of our team, but I am saying that the QB play is directly responsible for the success of the team.

Troy >>>>> Alex
Originally posted by bigmike55:
Originally posted by carlgo:

Sing does not throw the ball. Sing does not fumble the ball. Sing is not out there on the field making the decisions.

Alex Smith is.. or was.

You take Peyton Manning out of the offense in Indy and I guarantee the ship sinks over there. Curtis Painter is their back up and he stinks, just like Alex Smith. I'm not saying Troy Smith is the Peyton Manning of our team, but I am saying that the QB play is directly responsible for the success of the team.

Troy >>>>> Alex

To this point. We still need to draft another QB regardless of how Smith plays out the year.
  • dj43

Let's also not forget the quality of the opponents as well, nor should we forget Jimmy Raye.

At the time, the consensus on this board was the Raye was the biggest culprit though AS played a role. Now all memory of how bad Raye was seems to have dwindled to nothing.
Share 49ersWebzone