There are 85 users in the forums

ESPN: Sam Bradford best in NFC West for 3rd down passing, Alex Smith worst

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by redmanc07:
Originally posted by Shaj:
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
Alex Smith will be a Arizona Cardinal next year. Mark it.

good possibility actually, but wherever he goes, he will simply be a very temporary placeholder until someone better comes along or develops on their roster. Alex needs to be surrounded by greatness in all offensive positions and with long term consistency in his coaching staff in order to play average to above average as a QB, and in order to play below average as a #1 overall pick in his 6th year or so in the league. And that's after he's been in the system long enough to be functional, which we know is measured in years and not months.

As far as I know, no #1 QB in the history of the NFL has ever gone 6 seasons in the NFL without making the pro-bowl. Another dubious distinction. The Raiders were actually smarter than us by dumping Jamarcus very early in the failed experiment - they cut their losses and moved on, and look how that has paid off for them. Sad to say, but we should learn from the Raiders.

A much bigger thing to learn from the Raiders would be how to run the ball. If we could run like that we wouldn't be having this discussion or be 2-6.

do you really think they would have SPANKED the Broncos and the Chargers with Jamarcus at the helm right now?
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Shaj:

do you really think they would have SPANKED the Broncos and the Chargers with Jamarcus at the helm right now?

Maybe the Broncos.

Didn't Campbell have something like the worst QB rating for a Raider since Al Davis was a toddler when we played them? Including Jawalrus Ruffles?

Not sayin', just sayin'....

Wut?
Bradford is a beast.

Legit.

We need to put a helmet on this guy and take him out like we did Orton.
Biggest problem with Alex Smith is the guy is a 70%er. He plays generally solid ball 70% of the game. Sometimes he plays pretty well 70-80% of the game.

BUT...his the other 20-30% are just game changers or decisions that shift momentum. It's like people said...he just can't put together a complete game. In this league you have to be a 90%er or better to be successful.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
Bradford is a beast.

Legit.

We need to put a helmet on this guy and take him out like we did Orton.

Anybody else who's watched him, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I saw... that's going to be MUCH harder with Bradford than it was with Orton. Watching Orton run reminded me of Howdy Doody.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Biggest problem with Alex Smith is the guy is a 70%er. He plays generally solid ball 70% of the game. Sometimes he plays pretty well 70-80% of the game.

BUT...his the other 20-30% are just game changers or decisions that shift momentum. It's like people said...he just can't put together a complete game. In this league you have to be a 90%er or better to be successful.

Yeah, that's a solid point, though you're going to get arguments about your percentages. To me, it doesn't matter... it's the point you're trying to make.

This is exactly the reason he's such a hot button issue. Some people say that they aren't so sure the 20% he's missing is his fault. Others don't care if it's his fault, the only thing that matters is the outcome. The last group will say he's just been a 0%er from day one and they knew it the whole time.

Me? This season was his last shot to show consistency. He hasn't done that. Could he have if he hadn't been injured after showing improvement under Johnson? Who knows? Them's the breaks. If he gets another shot this season, he gets another shot. If not, we need to move on to another plan.
Originally posted by Wodwo:

Yeah, that's a solid point, though you're going to get arguments about your percentages. To me, it doesn't matter... it's the point you're trying to make.

This is exactly the reason he's such a hot button issue. Some people say that they aren't so sure the 20% he's missing is his fault. Others don't care if it's his fault, the only thing that matters is the outcome. The last group will say he's just been a 0%er from day one and they knew it the whole time.

Me? This season was his last shot to show consistency. He hasn't done that. Could he have if he hadn't been injured after showing improvement under Johnson? Who knows? Them's the breaks. If he gets another shot this season, he gets another shot. If not, we need to move on to another plan.

This was my view as well. I heavily doubt he re-signs here or is even wanted here - I said that after the Atlanta game. I think it would be in both our best interests to simply part ways.

-9fA
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
I wish I could find the article. Either Barrows or Miaocco was asked about 2 years ago if Smith was a bust. The answer was "he's not a bust until he is released from the 49ers, then we can consider him a bust." Looks like that is a foregone conclusion at this point.
  • dj43
Just a short note about Bradford...anybody remember him?...he was the guy this thread started with.

He has sunk back to a very rookie-like QB rating of 75%, #26 overall. Should give the 49ers some hope for next Sunday.
[ Edited by dj43 on Nov 8, 2010 at 10:29 AM ]
Originally posted by dj43:
Just short note about Bradford...anybody remember him?...he was the guy this thread started with.

He has sunk back to a very rookie-like QB rating of 75%, #26 overall. Should give the 49ers some hope for next Sunday.

I hope Singletary takes notes when watching the Rams offense. They have a spread offense QB with "OK" offensive weapons...yet they find ways to win because they call plays and run formations that cater to their QB's strengths. Rams figured this out in ONE YEAR...yet we can't figure this out in 8 years.

• dj43
Just short note about Bradford...anybody remember him?...he was the guy this thread started with.

I hope Singletary takes notes when watching the Rams offense. They have a spread offense QB with "OK" offensive weapons...yet they find ways to win because they call plays and run formations that cater to their QB's strengths. Rams figured this out in ONE YEAR...yet we can't figure this out in 8 years.
Yes, but we can "smack them in the mouth."

yea, the old square peg, round hole thing. "If i smash it hard enough, it'll fit!" Brilliant, just brilliant.
Originally posted by darkknight49:

yea, the old square peg, round hole thing. "If i smash it hard enough, it'll fit!" Brilliant, just brilliant.

Man oh man...I cant WAIT until we get new coaches. Please just let 2010 end already.
  • dj43
Originally posted by darkknight49:

Man oh man...I cant WAIT until we get new coaches. Please just let 2010 end already.
My hope is that Singletary has had some introspective moments this past week and lets Johnson allows players to do what they do best. New tactics, new play sequencing...
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame

In retrospect, I would have given my left testicle for Smith to produce that kind of rating and general performance level in his first year. Smith would be a multi-time probowler by now most likely. Instead we are just riding out his salary until he gets released at the end of this year and kills some coach on another team.
Share 49ersWebzone