There are 164 users in the forums

ESPN: Sam Bradford best in NFC West for 3rd down passing, Alex Smith worst

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Who cares?

Smith isn't even starting for us anymore!

I love how no matter what the mods try to do to consolidate the Alex Smith threads, we always end up with several that are of excessive length.
But I thought all rookie QB's who are plunged into the fire on horrible teams are SUPPOSED to have nightmare rookie seasons?????

The Alex supporters biggest mistake was ignoring Alex Smith's rookie season. To me his rookie season is and will always be the biggest indicator of what was to come.

You have to be smart enough to look past the obvious excusees. Bradford is proving you don't have to fail horribly in that situation.
Originally posted by danimal:
But I thought all rookie QB's who are plunged into the fire on horrible teams are SUPPOSED to have nightmare rookie seasons?????

The Alex supporters biggest mistake was ignoring Alex Smith's rookie season. To me his rookie season is and will always be the biggest indicator of what was to come.

You have to be smart enough to look past the obvious excusees. Bradford is proving you don't have to fail horribly in that situation.

can you give the lotto numbers for next week with your power of foresight?
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Leathaface:

I agree with most of what you're saying but I also think Smith made a lot of his coaches look worse than they were/are. He had a bigger hand in his failure than poor coaching. IMO, he had great coaching early on.

Wut?

Only three OCs called plays for a healthy Smith for more than three regular season games.

2005: Mike McCarthy was hired as a head coach after Smith's rookie year. Smith should not have played at all this season. Don't start a 20 year old rookie underclassman at QB on the worst team in the league. Lesson learned. Jim Hostler is QBs coach.

2006: Norv Turner was lauded for the turn around Smith made under his tutelage. He was also hired as a head coach after that year. Jim Hostler is QBs coach.

2007: Jim Hostler had a healthy Smith for three games.

2008: Mike Martz didn't coach Smith in a single regular season game.

2009: Jimmy Raye looked like crap with Shaun Hill* at QB. Offensive philosophy was changed when Smith replaced Hill. Smith is inconsistent, but shows flashes of ability and looks to be better than he was in 2006. Plays well enough that both he and Raye are retained. Mike Johnson is QBs coach.

2010: Jimmy Raye appears to revert back to philosophy from early 2009. Jimmy Raye is fired because "his" offense was predictable. Alex looked bad as well. Mike Johnson is promoted to OC for more creativity. Alex Smith's QB rating improves dramatically. Alex Smith is then injured.

What coach did Alex Smith make look worse than they are? He made Norv Turner and Jim Hostler look good for his improvement in 2006. He made Jimmy Raye and Mike Johnson look good for his improvement in 2009 after Alex hadn't played a healthy regular season game for over two years.

*Not blaming Shaun Hill
[ Edited by Wodwo on Nov 4, 2010 at 1:01 PM ]
Originally posted by darkknight49:

why do people always assume hindsight around here?

Is it really that hard to believe that I am simply repeating what I once stated as a matter of foresight???

There were a few of us who did not grade Alex Smith as 1st round quality or Franchise QB worthy. And then he had a nightmarish rookie season, which only supported our foresight.

Can't I post again in 2010 the same stuff I was saying in March 2005 and January 2006

But yeah, if it makes you feel better I am stating all of this hindsight
[ Edited by danimal on Nov 4, 2010 at 1:32 PM ]

Is it really that hard to believe that I am simply repeating what I once stated as a matter of foresight???

There were a few of us who did not grade Alex Smith as 1st round quality or Franchise QB worthy. And then he had a nightmarish rookie season, which only supported our foresight.

Can't I post again in 2010 the same stuff I was saying in March 2005 and January 2006

i am NOT an alex smith suporter (anymore. i'm recovering). but really, there are plenty of good QBs who's rookie campaigns were just horrible. but when you add the combination of a poorly coached team and anemic roster, his stats were bound to be s**tty. to me, it's the consistent bad play that has got me off the smith bandwagon. the bad plays outweigh any of the FLASHES (and that's all they were) of good/decent play.
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by 76Razor:

i am NOT an alex smith suporter (anymore. i'm recovering). but really, there are plenty of good QBs who's rookie campaigns were just horrible. but when you add the combination of a poorly coached team and anemic roster, his stats were bound to be s**tty. to me, it's the consistent bad play that has got me off the smith bandwagon. the bad plays outweigh any of the FLASHES (and that's all they were) of good/decent play.

Let's be clear: Alex Smith had THE WORST rookie season by a 1st overall QB in NFL history. Yes, even worse than Ryan Leaf (a 2nd overall pick) and Jamarcus Russell. We are talking an epic failure in his first year, not a garden variety year of struggling for a first year QB.

It's OK, just sit right down. The first step is taken. I almost supported him this year but that's nothing compared to full support. I feel you. Welcome to the light and understanding the new era this team is headed in.

We may need a new thread allowing only posts that read, "Hi, my name is _____ and I am an Al....

...excuser."
  • ZRF80
Originally posted by Shaj:

Let's be clear: Alex Smith had THE WORST rookie season by a 1st overall QB in NFL history. Yes, even worse than Ryan Leaf (a 2nd overall pick) and Jamarcus Russell. We are talking an epic failure in his first year, not a garden variety year of struggling for a first year QB.

Yep, it was clear during his rookie season that he was going to be a disaster. But, when a lot of us balked at his poor play, we were lynched by the masses. It's amazing that we've been saying the same s**t since the guy was drafted, and now all his supporters come out and say, "well, in hindsight..."

There is no hindsight ! The guy was a bust from day 1, and the organization/fanbase f**ked up by supporting him and killing our seasons....

• Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ZRF80:

Yep, it was clear during his rookie season that he was going to be a disaster. But, when a lot of us balked at his poor play, we were lynched by the masses. It's amazing that we've been saying the same s**t since the guy was drafted, and now all his supporters come out and say, "well, in hindsight..."

There is no hindsight ! The guy was a bust from day 1, and the organization/fanbase f**ked up by supporting him and killing our seasons....

I certainly haven't ever seen record of a worse rookie season.

I know your opinions on Alex Smith and that there is no point arguing about it.

However, I was curious about your opinion after reading these posts. Put Alex Smith aside and just take into account this hypothetical scenario:

Would you say that it would be a good idea or a bad idea to start a 20 year old rookie underclassman at QB on the worst team in football that runs an offense completely dissimilar to the one said QB ran in college?

Honestly, I'm not trying to debate Alex here. I just want your objective opinion on that scenario.
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Wodwo:

However, I was curious about your opinion after reading these posts. Put Alex Smith aside and just take into account this hypothetical scenario:

Would you say that it would be a good idea or a bad idea to start a 20 year old rookie underclassman at QB on the worst team in football that runs an offense completely dissimilar to the one said QB ran in college?

Honestly, I'm not trying to debate Alex here. I just want your objective opinion on that scenario.

That is essentially what the Rams just did with Sam Bradford. And it worked, and they are better than us now. Next question.

I didn't mention anything about you changing your tune over the years. My point was that it is quite difficult to predict what is going to happen. You had your thoughts, supported them and stuck by them and ended up being pretty much correct. The thing i was poking fun at was how some of the people "smart enough" act like they could see the future, which is essentially what foresight means. its the "see, i knew this back in 05" type of thing that gets people annoyed. If it makes you feel any better, I'll give you a pat on the back for sticking by your opinion.
[ Edited by darkknight49 on Nov 5, 2010 at 8:25 AM ]
  • dj43
Originally posted by Wodwo:

That is essentially what the Rams just did with Sam Bradford. And it worked, and they are better than us now. Next question.
Except that the Rams are a substantially more talented team now than the 49ers were in Smith's rookie year. I would also suggest that Spagnuolo is a much better HC than was Nolan. Pat Shurmur is also the equivalent of Mike McCarthy or better in terms of offensive understanding.

Not to defend Smith. Just pointing out the differences in the circumstances.

Share 49ersWebzone