There are 337 users in the forums

Lacking enthusiam about Troy Smith

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by D-NOTTE:
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
its cuz he's black.

THIS

Kidding aside, the sad part is, some fans won't like Troy as their starting QB because of that. They're too chicken s**t to publicly admit it, but it's true for some.

Remeber that one racist dude said it openly in here once. Sad.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by D-NOTTE:
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
its cuz he's black.

THIS

Kidding aside, the sad part is, some fans won't like Troy as their starting QB because of that. They're too chicken s**t to publicly admit it, but it's true for some.

Sad, but likely true.

Doesn't matter in the end, though. Those fans can go f**k themselves in the ass with a chainsaw. Their opinion will have no effect on Troy Smith's destiny.
Lol @ being able to say "Alex nut hanging" or "on Alex's nuts" or "stop sucking Alex's dick" but I get warned for cussing. So trolling and inciting people to get upset is ok, but cussing about random s**t is not? Ok.
I think the general argument around here is that fans want to see the 'best' possible man on the field, but we lack extreme faith in our inept franchise/coaching staff to provide such (if not, common sense)... and can you honestly blame them?

There's four parties around here:

1. Team 'Alex Smith'.

2. Team 'Other guy'.

3. Team 'Don't get your hopes up'.

4. Team 'Just let the best guy play'.

But it seems lately teams '1' & '3' have formed a treaty with one-another, cause they still honestly believe Alex Smith should get the rest of the season (that's at an embarrassing 2-6) to convince us whether or not he deserves to stay, cause 'apparently' Alex has proven more to be a starter (in 6 years) than a guy who just had a spectacular outing on a short-term notice (that has shown more in one game than Alex has his entire career).
[ Edited by SnakePlissken on Nov 2, 2010 at 10:35 AM ]
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
Originally posted by BobS:
Originally posted by Jersey9er:
Originally posted by bigwads:
If Alex QB's that game, we win. The defense showed up, which it seldom does. I am sick of the blinders people have.

How many times has our defense allowed points in the last two minutes of the game? Regardless of what Singletary says, it is our defense that hasn't showed up this year.

If Clements falls down after intercepting a pass, we win another game.

If our defense shows up at agains the Eagles we win that game too.

If we get one stop against the Saints-after Bush is out of the game-we win that game too.

I am happy to have T. Smith give it a go, but if people think that he is going to win games when the defense plays like it has with Alex they're in for a rude awakening.

And u know Big Wad I dont see what the big deal is tho. I mean of course we give T. Smith his props, but i mean to not pay attention to the above mentioned is just crazy. For all the things that people said they saw, u can find at least 10 other people that saw the same thing, but look at it from a different perspective.

I mean he kept tons of plays alive, but had our D stepped up like you said in the above game, then we wouldnt be where we are now. I even went a step farther and said I remember over the years, when we beat sorry ass teams, tons of fans made sure to point that out. So it's no different with Denver in my opinion.

They say we are nearing the easiest part of the schedule, so thats a great way to look at it. A. Smith played the hardest part in the first half, and now T. if he is the starter will now play the easiest part. Uncomparable in my opinion.

Like Alex lovers like you have on? Troy Smith had a 115 rating and people have called his performance "average" I have seen Alex Smith get a 75 and people give him a "B grade". It is called "bias", nothing more.

I agree but it goes both ways. When Alex has 90+ ratings..it's "well ratings don't mean much."

We could go back and forth on this all day. We are all part of the same hypocrisy.

But the context makes a huge difference. Alex gets a 90 rating every once in a while having 50 games of experience. Troy, is in his first game with little to none prep and with the play calling highly weighing against his success.

what he said
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
I think the general argument around here is that fans want to see the 'best' possible man on the field, but we lack extreme faith in our inept franchise/coaching staff to provide such (if not, common sense)... and can you honestly blame them?

1. Team 'Alex Smith'.

2. Team 'Other guy'.

But it seems lately teams '1' & '3' have formed a treaty with one-another, cause they still honestly believe Alex Smith should get the rest of the season (that's at an embarrassing 2-6) to convince us whether or not he deserves to stay, cause 'apparently' Alex has proven more to be a starter (in 6 years) than a guy who just had a spectacular outing on a short-term notice (that has shown more in one game than Alex has his entire career).

i think people from teams 1 and 3 are just leery about troy smith and his success. see JTO and Rattay. hell, see any QB after garcia. flashes of good play doesn't always mean "we found our QB".

you gotta be honest, the majority of this board was stoked on alex, when he was drafted. those (from the beginning) who weren't, are/were right. some of those people (you know who you are) just gloat and shove it in alex supporter's faces.

i am part of team 4. if black smith can play and succeed under this horrible coaching regime and have success, awesome. to me, it just means that black smith will benefit from a good coaching staff-if and when the change is made-and if we keep him.

we should all want the best for our team, but we should also be leery of the product our organization puts on the field.
Originally posted by Shaj:
If Alex QB's that game, we win. The defense showed up, which it seldom does. I am sick of the blinders people have.

How many times has our defense allowed points in the last two minutes of the game? Regardless of what Singletary says, it is our defense that hasn't showed up this year.

If we get one stop against the Saints-after Bush is out of the game-we win that game too.

I am happy to have T. Smith give it a go, but if people think that he is going to win games when the defense plays like it has with Alex they're in for a rude awakening.

And u know Big Wad I dont see what the big deal is tho. I mean of course we give T. Smith his props, but i mean to not pay attention to the above mentioned is just crazy. For all the things that people said they saw, u can find at least 10 other people that saw the same thing, but look at it from a different perspective.

I mean he kept tons of plays alive, but had our D stepped up like you said in the above game, then we wouldnt be where we are now. I even went a step farther and said I remember over the years, when we beat sorry ass teams, tons of fans made sure to point that out. So it's no different with Denver in my opinion.

They say we are nearing the easiest part of the schedule, so thats a great way to look at it. A. Smith played the hardest part in the first half, and now T. if he is the starter will now play the easiest part. Uncomparable in my opinion.

Like Alex lovers like you have on? Troy Smith had a 115 rating and people have called his performance "average" I have seen Alex Smith get a 75 and people give him a "B grade". It is called "bias", nothing more.

I agree but it goes both ways. When Alex has 90+ ratings..it's "well ratings don't mean much."

We could go back and forth on this all day. We are all part of the same hypocrisy.

But the context makes a huge difference. Alex gets a 90 rating every once in a while having 50 games of experience. Troy, is in his first game with little to none prep and with the play calling highly weighing against his success.

what he said

lol, so the context of it being only one game and entirely inconclusive doesn't get factored in?

we're all excited to see what Troy can do. But let's not get ahead of ourselves. Praising him for not being Alex is just getting sad.
Originally posted by HessianDud:

what he said

lol, so the context of it being only one game and entirely inconclusive doesn't get factored in?

we're all excited to see what Troy can do. But let's not get ahead of ourselves. Praising him for not being Alex is just getting sad.

It's the old saying when JTO or Hill were playing:

"We know what these guys can do. They are 5 year journey men backups."

Well, we have come full circle and I will say this:

We know what Alex Smith can do and he hasn't shown to be any better than a 6 year journey man backup.

I think it's fair to get excited and hope Troy can succeed.
Originally posted by 76Razor:

1. Team 'Alex Smith'.

2. Team 'Other guy'.

i think people from teams 1 and 3 are just leery about troy smith and his success. see JTO and Rattay. hell, see any QB after garcia. flashes of good play doesn't always mean "we found our QB".

you gotta be honest, the majority of this board was stoked on alex, when he was drafted. those (from the beginning) who weren't, are/were right. some of those people (you know who you are) just gloat and shove it in alex supporter's faces.

i am part of team 4. if black smith can play and succeed under this horrible coaching regime and have success, awesome. to me, it just means that black smith will benefit from a good coaching staff-if and when the change is made-and if we keep him.

we should all want the best for our team, but we should also be leery of the product our organization puts on the field.

i agree with this but lol @ "black smith"

its time to evaluate all of our QB's. Right now Troy is playing the best. Let's see if he can build on it. If not, I would like to see Nate play.

what he said

It's the old saying when JTO or Hill were playing:

"We know what these guys can do. They are 5 year journey men backups."

Well, we have come full circle and I will say this:

We know what Alex Smith can do and he hasn't shown to be any better than a 6 year journey man backup.

I think it's fair to get excited and hope Troy can succeed.

Its fair to hope Troy can succeed, and fair to get excited, but I'm just going to temper my excitement until I see more. He seems to have a lot of promise. Unlike the other QB's we've been burned on, he really doesn't have a lot of experience (hasn't bounced around all that much) but he does have a solid pedigree. He seems to have good instincts. He seems to be a playmaker. He's got a good arm, etc. There's a lot to like.

But its one game. I think a lot of people on here are over-excited just because he's not Alex. Whatever, that's a lame reason to be excited, IMO. I'm gonna try to be excited about Troy Smith, if he continues to warrant it, and not be excited about Not Alex Smith.

Originally posted by Wodwo:

You should get some kind of medal for this post. A gold star sticker at least.

If only people would realize this, it would make the forum a much more enjoyable environment, even when we're all pissed that we lost.

Can I have your permission to quote this in other threads when I feel it is relevant?

You are awesome.

(no homo)

yup i gotta agree too, on that one

Agreed some more. I swear, all of these Troy posts are almost starting to make me dislike him... almost wanting him to play and fail.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
(that has shown more in one game than Alex has his entire career).

It's comments like these that make it difficult to believe that you are being objective.

I don't disagree with you on many of your points, but the exaggeration of Alex Smith's ineptness does not help your case in a civil discussion.

It is the extremes on both ends of the argument that cause the friction on this forum. Those who want to downplay Troy's performance so that it doesn't make Alex look bad. Those that want to use it as proof positive that Alex has not and will not ever do anything worthy of praise.

Both sides need to take a step back and realize that there is a lot of room in the middle. Troy did a couple things that weren't perfect, but he still deserves credit for a great (amazing even) performance. Alex Smith, for all his flaws, has done all of the good things that Troy did at one point or another in his career, he just can't seem to do them on a consistent basis... or all at the same time.

People need to learn to let go and realize that they have no control over the outcome here. Just sit back, relax, and enjoy the show. Things will play out and we'll have answers at season's end.

Let go of frustration... embrace your brothers... sneak in an "accidental" ass grope...

We all want the same thing in the end (well maybe not the hand on the end).
No idea why these posts got cut short....

Forget it... posts are not working today... keep getting cut off... screw it.
[ Edited by oldman9er on Nov 2, 2010 at 11:01 AM ]
Originally posted by oldman9er:

If only people would realize this, it would make the forum a much more enjoyable environment, even when we're all pissed that we lost.

Can I have your permission to quote this in other threads when I feel it is relevant?

You are awesome.

(no homo)

Agreed some more. I swear, all of these Troy posts are almost starting to make me dislike him... almost wanting him to play and fail.

I think this is probably how all of the Alex Haters started.

Originally posted by oldman9er:

You are awesome.

(no homo)

I think this is probably how all of the Alex Haters started.

Exactly what I was saying, but my posts when sent keep getting cut off for some reason.

Anyway, after the BS excitement over JTO and Hill, I'll reserve judgement till we see more from Troy. He really didn't accomplish much last Sunday.
Share 49ersWebzone