LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 207 users in the forums

The niners made a waiver claim [on LB Gibson]

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Oh never mind, just finish reading the last page. No 'lights out' in San Fran.
[ Edited by ace49ers on Nov 3, 2010 at 6:05 AM ]
Originally posted by ace49ers:
So thats it for 'lights out' in San Fran then since we now have our LB?

We could still go for "lights out" it wouldn't surprise me.

-
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ersNoKaOi:

-

This guy is damaged goods. Why would the Chargers release this guy if he had anything left.
[ Edited by mayo49 on Nov 3, 2010 at 7:00 AM ]
Originally posted by mayo49:

-

This guy is damaged goods. Why would the Chargers release this guy if he had anything left.

Why would they send LT to the jets?
He's young, talented, and If he could become half of what he used to be he would have surpassed Haralson.

-
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by communist:
Originally posted by KRS-1:

Not much to be mad about considering he has been injury prone and according to Chargers beat writer Kevin Acee he was on the trade block for more than a year. He likely clears waivers and will sign for a low money offer and have to earn his way back into a starting lineup at this point.

Gibson was a 4th round pick playing behind Harrison and Woodley and waived due to a lack of depth up front in Pittsburgh. Gibson is still a project but may have more upside than Merriman at this stage of his career.
this^1000000000000000
Originally posted by Wodwo:

Want pass rush now.
then merriman is the worst solution for that.

Well I am not entirely sure about him providing no pass rush, but he has yet to prove he can. I think this is a case of does he still have that burst off the edge that helped make him a fearsome pass rusher ? A good example of this is that the Ravens are interested and Harbaugh said he and Ozzie Newsome discussed possibly going after him but only IF he clears waivers...why because they don't want to pay him his 3.5 million dollar salary without being assured of him still having that burst all the while proving he can stay healthy.

I think this is the same reason the Chargers are willing to cut ties with him. In his few snaps he did play this season he did nothing and they continued to try and shop him then when that fell through they were just waiting for him to be healthy enough to pass a physical so they could waive him hoping there was just one team willing to claim him and if that happens said team would be on the hook for his salary. Teams are interested but not at a 3.5 million dollar price. He is now going to have to take a serious paycut in all likelihood and play his way back into a starting lineup unless some team is willing to pay him that money.

Originally posted by RedWaltz24:
People who want Merriman just want him because they recognize the name.

I agree with this. This is very common on the webzone, anytime a guy who once had a "name" gets cut we see a "Let's sign him thread".
  • mayo49
  • Veteran

-

He's young, talented, and If he could become half of what he used to be he would have surpassed Haralson.

-

That part I agree with.
Folks let's just kill all this potential and upside of Gibson b/c who on this coaching staff is gonna bring that out of him?

-

-

That part I agree with.

And just imagine his sack dance in a 49ers uniform..... I like it.

-

-

-

Tomlinson was released, not sent.

He had posted back to back seasons with a less than 4 YPC average.
Originally posted by redrathman:

-

-

Tomlinson was released, not sent.

He had posted back to back seasons with a less than 4 YPC average.

My bad, LT was released because he was not playing as well as before...... But look at him now! lol why can't Merriman do the same thing?

-
[ Edited by 49ersNoKaOi on Nov 3, 2010 at 7:46 AM ]

b/c LT IS headed south. for me, it's not a proof that the opposite is the case just b/c he performs well in ny...behind that o-line dixon AND gore would run a 1000 yard-season each (edit: his recent stats are NOT that special!!!)

i don't know much about shawne but could he be a head case? if yes, then i don't want him.
[ Edited by communist on Nov 3, 2010 at 8:20 AM ]

b/c LT was headed south. for me, it's not a proof that the opposite is the case just b/c he performs well in ny...behind that o-line dixon AND gore would run a 1000 yard-season each.

i don't know much about shawne but could he be a head case? if yes, then i don't want him.

A different scene/team could be what Merriman needs. Merriman is not a "head case" he has heart, he plays with passion, he just was plagued by injuries after the steroid incident.

-
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran

Originally posted by Wodwo:

Want pass rush now.
then merriman is the worst solution for that.

Desperation! Unrealistic hope of magic! Make it work! GO! NOW! TO THE CHOPPA!

A different scene/team could be what Merriman needs. Merriman is not a "head case" he has heart, he plays with passion, he just was plagued by injuries after the steroid incident.
he just needs a kick in his ass...and why the hell is it so special that a football player takes some roids???
Between Merriman and Gibson, I believe the latter's got more upside at this point. Sean's damaged goods...nowhere near the player he was before his 'roids bust. Because of doing them, he's very injury-prone now. Gibson's got a lot of potential...wouldn't surprise me at all to see him make the roster next season. Good waiver p/u.
Share 49ersWebzone