LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 300 users in the forums

Which Smith should start Week 10?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Which Smith should start Week 10?

If the playcalling is always going to be like it was today with Troy under center, then there is no reason to start him. We will not win with that gameplan every week.

I know the haters won't like this, but the offense looks much better with Alex playing. Don't let a couple of lucky plays and a good 4th quarter against a bad defense fool you.
Originally posted by HessianDud:
If the playcalling is always going to be like it was today with Troy under center, then there is no reason to start him. We will not win with that gameplan every week.

I know the haters won't like this, but the offense looks much better with Alex playing. Don't let a couple of lucky plays and a good 4th quarter against a bad defense fool you.

i'd much rather see a guy with zip and accuracy than a guy who still leads the league in turnovers
Originally posted by BobS:
Originally posted by LeadFarmer:
Troy basically played about the same as Alex has all year, on a week of preparation.

He played better, when the protection broke down, he moved in the pocket and found receivers, instead of throwing it away, throwing an interception or getting sacked. He showed intangibles that Alex Smith does not have. He may appear to regress a bit as defensive coordinators have more film to look at, but he should start the rest of the year to see what he has.

Thanks man, obviously someone saw the mobility difference.
BTW zero sacks, no turnovers....best performance this year and not all the O line, QB had something to do with it
Originally posted by billbird2111:
Alex Smith's career as a 49er is over. This thread is pointless.

I cannot believe that we have some posters who want to replace the QB who earned a win in his first start -- and replace him with the worst QB who has ever donned a 49er uniform.

Un-freaking-believable.

I was kind of taking you seriously, until you said that Alex Smith is the worst QB who has ever donned a 49er uniform.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Troy did an amazing job for how little prep time he had.

Just don't crown him after one game, guys.

I hope we do get to crown him, though. We need a dude with a f**king crown. FoRealz.
Originally posted by Peanut49:
Originally posted by Kauaiguy:
It's amazing how some people can't accept reality vs perception. Based on Troy Smiths performance today, some still think that Alex is the better QB.

Of course ONE game doesn't determine all but if you were to compare the two QB demeanor (or if you want to call it strut or confidence), I would say that by today's performance, Troy Smith have it hands down.

The passing was as crisp as I've seen it in a LONG time and his legs certainly makes him a bit more dangerous. Kinda reminds me of one Rich Gannon.

Funny Rich Gannon compared Alex Smith to himself.

OBVIOUSLY you haven't seen Rich play and just because he made that comment doesn't necessarily mean he meant it. If you really think that Alex has the ESCAPABILITY that Gannon had, you'd have to be pretty delusional.

YES, I am also a Raiders fan and I have known a lot of them including Daryl Lamonica, Kenny Stabler, Tim Brown, Rich Gannon and John Madden just to name a few.
Originally posted by Peanut49:
It's amazing how some people can't accept reality vs perception. Based on Troy Smiths performance today, some still think that Alex is the better QB.

Of course ONE game doesn't determine all but if you were to compare the two QB demeanor (or if you want to call it strut or confidence), I would say that by today's performance, Troy Smith have it hands down.

The passing was as crisp as I've seen it in a LONG time and his legs certainly makes him a bit more dangerous. Kinda reminds me of one Rich Gannon.

Funny Rich Gannon compared Alex Smith to himself.

OBVIOUSLY you haven't seen Rich play and just because he made that comment doesn't necessarily mean he meant it. If you really think that Alex has the ESCAPABILITY that Gannon had, you'd have to be pretty delusional.

YES, I am also a Raiders fan and I have known a lot of them including Daryl Lamonica, Kenny Stabler, Tim Brown, Rich Gannon and John Madden just to name a few.

You completely lost me there. Wow.
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Troy basically played about the same as Alex has all year, on a week of preparation.

... and a limited playbook. This may adversely catch up to him, but it was a benefit for 1 game around the corner.

I don't see how it's a benefit to work with the starters for one week.
Troy with one week = Alex with half the season

No, my only point was that Troy would likely have been overwhelmed by a full playbook... and therefore disadvantaged. So while it benefits him to play with a limited playbook now, we may not be able to keep it limited for long... as opposing DCs would figure us out quickly and better shut us down.
The thing about Troy a lot of people are missing is that he really over-achieved in terms of all that was placed on him within a 'short' amount of time (not to mention the stress of playing overseas as well, with limited playbook).

Troy made a lot throws Alex wouldn't have had the courage to make, he took shots and didn't settle for bulls**t screens. -He (Troy) threw the ball with poise (adjusted protection packages for Gore; settled into to passing lanes), and his footwork kept him in the game when the o-line was collapsing on numerous occasions.

We can't label Troy a complete savior (as many have legibly argued), but for the little mistakes he made (ie dropping the ball/recovering), Troy compensated for them in huge gains. When Sing let Troy air it out (and develop an offensive rhythm), good things always seemed to happened.
[ Edited by SnakePlissken on Oct 31, 2010 at 3:21 PM ]

... and a limited playbook. This may adversely catch up to him, but it was a benefit for 1 game around the corner.

I don't see how it's a benefit to work with the starters for one week.
Troy with one week = Alex with half the season

No, my only point was that Troy would likely have been overwhelmed by a full playbook... and therefore disadvantaged. So while it benefits him to play with a limited playbook now, we may not be able to keep it limited for long... as opposing DCs would figure us out quickly and better shut us down.

Hopefully with an extra week to prepare, he'll be able to get up to speed and with him being limited in this first game, the Rams will have less film on which to plan for him. If we can open things up and get a big lead quickly by doings some things the Rams haven't seen or don't expect, we'll really help ourselves.
  • Antix
  • Veteran
Alex Smith should start.

The Boncos gave up 9000 points a week ago and Troy Smith had some lucky plays. As usual, a lot of you guys are being knee jerk and not seeing the full picture.

I'm pretty sure T Smith will start after the bye so that the staff can get another look (of course they'll say its because Alex isn't fully healed) and then you guys will see that he's probably not very good.

We are the Niners, the most inconsistent team in the NFL. Dont let one game against the only team in the NFL worse than us trick you into believing otherwise.
Originally posted by global_nomad:
Originally posted by HessianDud:

i'd much rather see a guy with zip and accuracy than a guy who still leads the league in turnovers

i'm not knocking Troy. I think he had a nice game and wouldn't mind seeing him in there with more of a chance to put the ball up. But he got us the win running a limited playbook against a bad defense, and basically moved the ball by making schoolyard plays. Alex hasn't shown enough this year, but I doubt that the formula we used with Troy today will work long-term.
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:

Troy made a lot throws Alex wouldn't have had the courage to make

A lot of what you said in that post was fine, but this was garbage and inspired by blind hate dude.
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
The thing about Troy a lot of people are missing is that he really over-achieved in terms of all that was placed on him within a 'short' amount of time (not to mention the stress of playing overseas as well, with limited playbook).

Troy made a lot throws Alex wouldn't have had the courage to make, he took shots and didn't settle for bulls**t screens. -He (Troy) threw the ball with poise (adjusted protection packages for Gore; settled into to passing lanes), and his footwork kept him in the game when the o-line was collapsing on numerous occasions.

We can't label Troy a complete savior (as many have legibly argued), but for the little mistakes he made (ie dropping the ball/recovering), Troy compensated for them in huge gains. When Sing let Troy air it out (and develop an offensive rhythm), good things always seemed to happened.
Share 49ersWebzone