LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 241 users in the forums

Grade Troy Smith's Performance

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Grade Troy Smith's Performance

Originally posted by BobS:
Ghost, I am with you. I don't understand why people are still on Alex Smith's nuts, especially after today. Troy Smith, a third stringer comes in and makes positive yardage on snaps where Alex would have gotten sacked or rolled right and threw the ball in the fifth row. After 6 years of Alex stinking up the place, people still make excuses for all his mistakes, nothing is ever his fault, makes me sick.

It's crazy! Look, I'm cool with people supporting Alex and hoping he one day turns into the QB he was drafted to be. But the excuses for Alex (year after year, loss after loss, poor performance after poor performance) are getting ridiculous. I mean, if anyone had legitimate excuses to stink up the joint and fall flat on his face in an embarrasing loss, it was Troy Smith.

1.) Hadn't started a game in 3 seasons
2.) Hadn't even taken a practice snap with the 49ers offense
3.) Had to use a scaled back version of the offense
4.) Missing your top offensive threat (VD)
5.) Playing over 5000 miles from home

Now THOSE are legitimate excuses, and most people would've understood (at least to a certain extent) if Troy was unable to overcome those obstacles and not end up with a win.

But this kid found a way to win. Again, that's what REAL NFL QBs do. No excuses, no blame-games, no crying and no whining. They find ways to make plays and to win games.

That's what the NFL is all about.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Ghost, I am with you. I don't understand why people are still on Alex Smith's nuts, especially after today. Troy Smith, a third stringer comes in and makes positive yardage on snaps where Alex would have gotten sacked or rolled right and threw the ball in the fifth row. After 6 years of Alex stinking up the place, people still make excuses for all his mistakes, nothing is ever his fault, makes me sick.

It's crazy! Look, I'm cool with people supporting Alex and hoping he one day turns into the QB he was drafted to be. But the excuses for Alex (year after year, loss after loss, poor performance after poor performance) are getting ridiculous. I mean, if anyone had legitimate excuses to stink up the joint and fall flat on his face in an embarrasing loss, it was Troy Smith.

Now THOSE are legitimate excuses, and most people would've understood (at least to a certain extent) if Troy was unable to overcome those obstacles and not end up with a win.

But this kid found a way to win. Again, that's what REAL NFL QBs do. No excuses, no blame-games, no crying and no whining. They find ways to make plays and to win games.

• Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by silkyjohnson:

:sigh:

This is why I wish the forum could be more moderate. Can't have a conversation when people automatically bring up a player irrelevant to the thread and cry when they're called scrotum lickers for licking Alex's scrotum.
Ah, well.... Such is life.

Man, you did this all wrong. You're supposed to alter my post when you quote me and then type "fixed". Haven't you been to the interwebs before?

Oh, and you totally missed the point. That's ok, though. If you want me to explain it, P.M. me.
  • Lifer
  • Veteran
A very lucky B-

He showcased some physical skills, avoided the big mistakes, and had one Hail Mary prayer answered. A little luck, a little moxie, a limited playbook, good support from the running game, and the D came up with two key turnovers. Things turned out well for him. But in the NFL, one game means next to nothing. It's what you do week in and week out that matters. As other teams amass film on T. Smith and start to take away his strengths and attack his weaknesses, then we'll see what he can really do.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by oldman9er:

... and Wodwo, you're a trip... I hope you stick around here, as you make this place fun but in a respectful way.

Thanks!

I'll probably stick around a bit. I'm stubborn and also a masochist. Makes me win at the internets.
Originally posted by verb1der:
For a 3rd stringer to come in mid-season and take over, I think he did a damn good job.

Poise, leadership, and a WIN!

Amazing performance displayed by this young man.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:

:sigh:

Why do you assume that was an insult? We are in SF you know....

Best. Response. Ever. (no homo)

I do wish we could stop all the black and white stuff when it comes to the QB discussion. Hmmm.... maybe I could have phrased that better to avoid ambiguity.

Just can't say something positive or negative about a player without people thinking you're some kind of hater or fan boy.

I'm objective... really... why people gotta hate on me?

Oh... except when it come to Gore.

Gore > All
Originally posted by smithgdwg:
A

Playcalling - F

yep, I will give him a B but you are rigth on.
A for Awesome!
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:

Great post

i agree his performance was an A+ now if we could just get mike johnson to open up playbook before 4th quarter we would be blowing some of these teams out
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
B
didnt some to help but didnt hurt the team either

Alot better than Alex..
Originally posted by FourNine49:
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:

Great post

It took an incredibly lucky bad pass and two huge calls (clipping/block in back) to go in our favor to squeak out this win. And its not like Troy put the team on his back, thats what Frank did.
Did great considering all the experience/ or lack thereof he had with the 1st team offense. I say keep him in there and hope they give him more chances at taking shots down field.

I give him a B.
Good enought to earn a start in the next game.

Wasn't pretty but good enough in the 4th quarter and he didnt make the Killer Mistake like a certain other...cough..cough...Smith.....

(Yes - I can live with that heave-ho that Troy made) Helps to be lucky, but if Alex Smith had even tried that (which he wouldn't have...) it would have been picked off and somehow returned for a TD.
Share 49ersWebzone