There are 204 users in the forums

Grade Troy Smith's Performance

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Grade Troy Smith's Performance

• tn9er
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TexasNiner84:
Originally posted by bzborow1:
What's funny is that had that hail mary Smith threw been intercepted, as it should have been, we'd be staring at another loss and Singletary would be looking for a job. He was good, against the worst defense in the NFL, and got lucky a few times.

It's funny, Denver's pass defense is the strongest part of the defense

Their defense is ranked 31st!!!
Originally posted by tn9er:
Originally posted by TexasNiner84:
What's funny is that had that hail mary Smith threw been intercepted, as it should have been, we'd be staring at another loss and Singletary would be looking for a job. He was good, against the worst defense in the NFL, and got lucky a few times.

It's funny, Denver's pass defense is the strongest part of the defense

Their defense is ranked 31st!!!

They moved up a slot after playing us?
LOL
Originally posted by SJniner7:
Originally posted by WestCoast:
probably better than any of A. Smith's performances from 6 years...

just the way that Troy would avoid trouble and even stand tall when the pocket was moving around him proves how much alex blows.

That was the biggest positive about troy, in which he showed poise. He show several qualities that alex severely lacks.
1-held the ball till the last second with pressure imminent. Several of these turned into positive gains.
2-avoided pressure well, without rolling to throw it away.
3-gave the recievers chances to make plays on the ball, something alex rarely, if ever, manages. The pass to crabs and delanie were lobs, where alex typically throws darts, not giving the reciever a chance.

Overall, I would give him a B because he had some bad throws. I really liked his poise in the pocket and ability to dodge pressure. I think we all saw a glimpse of his mobility as well. I am not crowning him just yet, but it was definitely the best QB performance this season.

Agree & nice post. Will be great to see what he can do with two weeks of practice with the recievers!
I'm kind of amazed that after all we have seen over the years...

the great beginnings of JTO only to then crash and burn in horrific fashion... the Hill rising and fizzling out...

Now Troy Smith is an almighty entity because he made... what? A few good throws and 1 really lucky throw against an overall crap defense?

San Francisco sure does need a hero, huh?

Look, I'm as appreciative for the win as anyone, and I also think that MAYBE we can get solid play from Troy as a starter... but people, please.... let's calm down a bit and keep things reasonable.

... and Wodwo, you're a trip... I hope you stick around here, as you make this place fun but in a respectful way.
Originally posted by oldman9er:

Have all the guys you mentioned played like this with only 3 days of practice?
all things considered, A.
Originally posted by oldman9er:

the great beginnings of JTO only to then crash and burn in horrific fashion... the Hill rising and fizzling out...

Now Troy Smith is an almighty entity because he made... what? A few good throws and 1 really lucky throw against an overall crap defense?

San Francisco sure does need a hero, huh?

Look, I'm as appreciative for the win as anyone, and I also think that MAYBE we can get solid play from Troy as a starter... but people, please.... let's calm down a bit and keep things reasonable.

... and Wodwo, you're a trip... I hope you stick around here, as you make this place fun but in a respectful way.

Nobody is deifying him. He showed presence and leadership, and escaped two blitzing defenders twice prior to completing passes. I liked what he he did.

I see no reason not to salute a good performance.
  • dj43
Originally posted by tohara3:

just the way that Troy would avoid trouble and even stand tall when the pocket was moving around him proves how much alex blows.

That was the biggest positive about troy, in which he showed poise. He show several qualities that alex severely lacks.
1-held the ball till the last second with pressure imminent. Several of these turned into positive gains.
3-gave the recievers chances to make plays on the ball, something alex rarely, if ever, manages. The pass to crabs and delanie were lobs, where alex typically throws darts, not giving the reciever a chance.

Overall, I would give him a B because he had some bad throws. I really liked his poise in the pocket and ability to dodge pressure. I think we all saw a glimpse of his mobility as well. I am not crowning him just yet, but it was definitely the best QB performance this season.

Agree & nice post. Will be great to see what he can do with two weeks of practice with the recievers!
One benefit that Troy had was that he was not subjected to Jimmy Raye's 3 second stop watch for four months. He was allowed to play the game instinctually instead of being a square peg forced into a round hole.
Originally posted by Wodwo:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

Alex scrotum lickers

:sigh:

This is why I wish the forum could be more moderate. Can't have a conversation when people automatically put you in one category and belittle you if you disagree with something they have to say.

Ah, well.... Such is life.

:sigh:

Why do you assume that was an insult? We are in SF you know....
  • ZRF80
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by Shaj:

that's true, seemed very lucky, but Smith's comments made after the game seemed like they practiced that, but I agree, it seemed like a hail mary. If you want funny, if Alex was playing this game and had lost, it would have been blamed on VD being out, the game being at an odd time, Sing being an idiot, etc.

And that's the biggest difference. Troy found a way to win this game despite having not started in years, a scaled down playbook, an "international" home game, one of your best weapons sitting on the sidelines and a 1-7 record staring you in the face going into the 4th quarter.

I'm not saying he's our savior or even should be considered as a starter for next year. But this is what REAL NFL QBs do...they make plays when they need to be made and they find ways to lead their teams to wins, as opposed to invent new ways to lose.

I forgot one other Alexcuse, and that is that if he had played and lost, it would have also been blamed on our D's inability to stop Brandon Lloyd.

Alex scrotum lickers need to wake up...he's just not a very good QB/leader. A 3rd string scrub like Troy Smith can come in off the street and provide better leadership/playmaking ability than Alex. What else needs to be said???

Wow so because people supported the guy because he was our starter apparently we're gay for him? I support Troy Smith too but come on man that was a dbag thing to say and that's uncalled for. I thought you were better than that

Wow, there are some overly sensitive people here.

This wasn't meant for anyone in particular; if it was, I would've directed it accordingly. It was just an opinion, like any other opinion shared on this board about people (whoever they might be) who make excuse after excuse for Alex. So it's not meant for ALL Alex supporters, though some of you need to chill out a bit and not take s**t so personally.

Unfortunately, there are no valid excuses for losing in the NFL, regardless of how much we might like a certain player. You either win, or you don't, and that should be the measure, specifically, of an NFL QB...especially one who's been given 6 years to prove he belongs. It's a harsh view, but it's the truth.

Seriously though, if the shoe fits, wear it...if it doesn't, just ignore and move on.

Yep. Interesting to note that the same guys that defended Alex against words like "luck", are now using it to defend him (saying that Troy got lucky).

The reality......Smith played with the same crappy oline, hapless defense, poor offensive scheming, and same DIFFERENT timezone.......yet he found a way to win. Alex has proven that he cannot.........thank God the Alex Smith project is over.

Originally posted by ZRF80:

that's true, seemed very lucky, but Smith's comments made after the game seemed like they practiced that, but I agree, it seemed like a hail mary. If you want funny, if Alex was playing this game and had lost, it would have been blamed on VD being out, the game being at an odd time, Sing being an idiot, etc.

And that's the biggest difference. Troy found a way to win this game despite having not started in years, a scaled down playbook, an "international" home game, one of your best weapons sitting on the sidelines and a 1-7 record staring you in the face going into the 4th quarter.

I'm not saying he's our savior or even should be considered as a starter for next year. But this is what REAL NFL QBs do...they make plays when they need to be made and they find ways to lead their teams to wins, as opposed to invent new ways to lose.

I forgot one other Alexcuse, and that is that if he had played and lost, it would have also been blamed on our D's inability to stop Brandon Lloyd.

Alex scrotum lickers need to wake up...he's just not a very good QB/leader. A 3rd string scrub like Troy Smith can come in off the street and provide better leadership/playmaking ability than Alex. What else needs to be said???

Wow so because people supported the guy because he was our starter apparently we're gay for him? I support Troy Smith too but come on man that was a dbag thing to say and that's uncalled for. I thought you were better than that

This wasn't meant for anyone in particular; if it was, I would've directed it accordingly. It was just an opinion, like any other opinion shared on this board about people (whoever they might be) who make excuse after excuse for Alex. So it's not meant for ALL Alex supporters, though some of you need to chill out a bit and not take s**t so personally.

Unfortunately, there are no valid excuses for losing in the NFL, regardless of how much we might like a certain player. You either win, or you don't, and that should be the measure, specifically, of an NFL QB...especially one who's been given 6 years to prove he belongs. It's a harsh view, but it's the truth.

Seriously though, if the shoe fits, wear it...if it doesn't, just ignore and move on.

Yep. Interesting to note that the same guys that defended Alex against words like "luck", are now using it to defend him (saying that Troy got lucky).

The reality......Smith played with the same crappy oline, hapless defense, poor offensive scheming, and same DIFFERENT timezone.......yet he found a way to win. Alex has proven that he cannot.........thank God the Alex Smith project is over.

I have always said Alex for some reason doesn't have any, while Troy apparently has some (Luck). That ball could of been intercepted very easily, it wasn't, but it could of been. The team found a way to win, Troy did not take that game over in any sense. He played well for starting without much knowledge of the system. But will this carry over into numerous games, I doubt it, the team still has issues and the coaching is horrible.
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by tohara3:

One benefit that Troy had was that he was not subjected to Jimmy Raye's 3 second stop watch for four months. He was allowed to play the game instinctually instead of being a square peg forced into a round hole.

that's a great point.

Alex's greatest strength is also his great weakness: his intelligence, his analytical skill. And the plan built around him has always been to capitalize on that, and it has pretty much backfired. The coaching staff has done nothing to stop him from playing scared and, it seems, has in fact fed into that.

Troy's best plays yesterday were schoolyard plays, and the ability to make those kinds of plays is important; but a QB in the NFL also has to be able to manage a game and make adjustments, etc, to beat really good teams. Being too much of a game manager or too much of a gunslinger isn't good. On one side you have JTO and on the other you have Alex.

I don't have much faith in this coaching staff, so I think Troy having less exposure with them is a blessing, but I hope over the bye he can get enough practice in to be able to run a more "complete offense."
  • ZRF80
Originally posted by jreff22:

I have always said Alex for some reason doesn't have any, while Troy apparently has some (Luck). That ball could of been intercepted very easily, it wasn't, but it could of been. The team found a way to win, Troy did not take that game over in any sense. He played well for starting without much knowledge of the system. But will this carry over into numerous games, I doubt it, the team still has issues and the coaching is horrible.

Agreed. I dont think Troy Smith is the answer to our QB woes, but his play demonstrated yesterday that scrappy play can help the team win. If anything, his recklessness (at times) is what helped this team come out on top. Alex doesnt play like this....and thats why the team never has any chance of coming from behind. He's a pure systems QB.....he needs the perfect plays with the perfect personnel around him to execute those plays. Anything "outside the box", and he's operating out of his comfort zone.

In any case, I cant imagine, after yesterday's performance, that Alex gets another shot in the starting lineup barr any injury to Troy....
Originally posted by jreff22:

Agreed. I dont think Troy Smith is the answer to our QB woes, but his play demonstrated yesterday that scrappy play can help the team win. If anything, his recklessness (at times) is what helped this team come out on top. Alex doesnt play like this....and thats why the team never has any chance of coming from behind. He's a pure systems QB.....he needs the perfect plays with the perfect personnel around him to execute those plays. Anything "outside the box", and he's operating out of his comfort zone.

In any case, I cant imagine, after yesterday's performance, that Alex gets another shot in the starting lineup barr any injury to Troy....

I have always been a A Smith supporter but I can agree that he will not see the field at any time this season. Alex will get traded to another team but I hope the guy can find some comfort in a new home and maybe some success at some point. I still blame the coaching staff and they almost cost us the game yesterday, nobody can really succeed in our current system.

A buddy of mine who is a Cle and OSU fan has always talked s**t about Alex. He has always said coaching is fine, Alex sucks...well his boy Tory plays yesterday and he's like what the f**k is up with the coaching...double standard. My response, NO QB is set up to win in this system. If Troy plays well I have no issues retaining him for next year. Alex needs a new start not in SF, Carr needs to go, and Davis..don't care either way.

We will be drafting a QB between rnd 1-3 in 2011, that I know for sure.
First 3 quarters, D+. Last quarter, A+. Overall B-. Nothing fantastic but did make plays when he needed.

In losing, Smith has more upside than Smith right now so start Smith the next game.
Share 49ersWebzone