There are 289 users in the forums

Spikes speaks out about reduced role

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
Originally posted by CrAnKD4TCRabTree:
Spikes has 36 tackles 1 INT and 3 Pass deflections
Hes easily our best coverage LB.. i dont get it

Singletary says watch the film

exactly. Where is he making these tackles? At the line or 5 yrs past the LOS. how many times has he been beat on a pass in the middle when he is in coverage. cuz the tackles stat dont say this. most of those tackles could are most likely on run plays.
good, cause Bowman will be a productive player. Get him reps now while we are horrible.
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
this makes no sense. Spikes has been our best LB this year. Bowman has been a liability and has a steep learning curve ahead of him.
Another depressing read. At least the Blazers are 2-0.
Originally posted by Macas:
Quote:
Singletary said. "But when he looks at the film...

Does Singletary take off his glasses before film sessions?
Originally posted by redmanc07:
Originally posted by P-52ENFORCER:
Originally posted by danimal:
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by nothing03:
Originally posted by BubbaParisMVP:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Bowman seems like a punk to me. Spikes is a class act. Whats the rush to get Bowman in the line up anyway? He was a 3rd round pick. Usually guys like that are on the Niner's 5 year development plan.

You're not alone in thinking he's a punk. It seems like hardly a play goes by without Bowman jawing at the ref. Not real smart, rookie.

Also, good point about the development plan. I'd wager that Bowman might be Sing's pet project, hence the accelerated schedule.

Bowman sucks I remember on the Carolina games has a lot of miss tackles and blown coverage. One of the most crucial third down play vs. Carolina was Bowmans fault.

Remember I am the negative poster around here. But why don't you think about it this way.

Why not chalk it up to rookie mistakes and a learning curve and assume he is going to improve. What would you rather have.....Bowman being one of the root causes to a loss in 2010 becoming 1-6...OR Bowman being one of the root causes to a loss in 2011 becoming 3-4??? So would you rather have Spikes help 2010 Niners be 2-5 or possible Bowman helping 2011 Niners be 4-3 or 5-2 or something???

The basic concept is to have as many of your 22 starters playing their best ball at the same time. This obviously was not the case in 2010, but it still can be in 2011.

This concept is one that is generally lost on most fans, because all most fans care about is "this season"....even when this season is already a lost cause.

I get what your saying but I also think that they have thrown in rookies a little bit too fast. We were 1-5 at Carolina with a some what of a delusional chance at making a playoff run, never the less we still had a chance. I would have played all the vets at least until half the season.

That brings up a great question that I always had. Whats the proper thing to do? Wait until mathematical elimination or wait until the probablilities reach a certain level. I am more of a probabilities guy myself, cus a lot of really bad teams don't get eliminated until December.

I am willing to say with enough confidence that this team has no shot at winning a Super Bowl, a one in a billion shot at appearing in a Super Bowl, a very slim shot at winning a playoff game, and a slim shot at winning the division.

IF IF IF, you agree with the above....I would say rookie development should start now and was not premature even earlier. Especially if you really only care about a Super Bowl. I honestly question the motives of a person who just wants this team to win the division at any cost right now.

Football is a game of competition, and if the rookie isn't the better player, then his *ss shouldn't be on the field. If he studies, practices hard, and makes himself the better option on gameday, then he plays. If not, then he sits his *ss on the bench until he does so, or the vet retires.......PERIOD!

That does not apply in the NFL. Great Values to teach our sons but the NFL is a business. Do I really have to point out all the instances where a NFL coach adjusts his depth chart based on Franchise outlooks, contract sizes, contract lengths, ages???? Cmon man........lets keep it real.

The NFL has become more of a business than a game, and that's the problem. I actually hope the owners strong arm the players and lock thier *sses out next season until they all come back crying for a paycheck. If I was an owner I wouldn't budge on sh*t that involved giving these guys more money!

I can't see many players crawling back for a pay check, realistically they can go play football somewhere else and get paid a decent amount for it. But if the owners want more games than they need to pay the players for it.

Trust me.......let these guys go without a paycheck, and they'll be back. Not sure how long it will take, but they'll be back. The owners are much more financially equipped for a lockout than a player is. Thats why they're the owner Just like I heard that the NBA players want the owners to develop a more partner like relationship with them. WTF????? Owners own, and players play. What don't these fools understand about this sh*t. Don't like it.........buy a team!
Originally posted by redmanc07:
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by nothing03:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Bowman seems like a punk to me. Spikes is a class act. Whats the rush to get Bowman in the line up anyway? He was a 3rd round pick. Usually guys like that are on the Niner's 5 year development plan.

You're not alone in thinking he's a punk. It seems like hardly a play goes by without Bowman jawing at the ref. Not real smart, rookie.

Also, good point about the development plan. I'd wager that Bowman might be Sing's pet project, hence the accelerated schedule.

Bowman sucks I remember on the Carolina games has a lot of miss tackles and blown coverage. One of the most crucial third down play vs. Carolina was Bowmans fault.

Remember I am the negative poster around here. But why don't you think about it this way.

Why not chalk it up to rookie mistakes and a learning curve and assume he is going to improve. What would you rather have.....Bowman being one of the root causes to a loss in 2010 becoming 1-6...OR Bowman being one of the root causes to a loss in 2011 becoming 3-4??? So would you rather have Spikes help 2010 Niners be 2-5 or possible Bowman helping 2011 Niners be 4-3 or 5-2 or something???

The basic concept is to have as many of your 22 starters playing their best ball at the same time. This obviously was not the case in 2010, but it still can be in 2011.

This concept is one that is generally lost on most fans, because all most fans care about is "this season"....even when this season is already a lost cause.

I get what your saying but I also think that they have thrown in rookies a little bit too fast. We were 1-5 at Carolina with a some what of a delusional chance at making a playoff run, never the less we still had a chance. I would have played all the vets at least until half the season.

That brings up a great question that I always had. Whats the proper thing to do? Wait until mathematical elimination or wait until the probablilities reach a certain level. I am more of a probabilities guy myself, cus a lot of really bad teams don't get eliminated until December.

I am willing to say with enough confidence that this team has no shot at winning a Super Bowl, a one in a billion shot at appearing in a Super Bowl, a very slim shot at winning a playoff game, and a slim shot at winning the division.

IF IF IF, you agree with the above....I would say rookie development should start now and was not premature even earlier. Especially if you really only care about a Super Bowl. I honestly question the motives of a person who just wants this team to win the division at any cost right now.

Football is a game of competition, and if the rookie isn't the better player, then his *ss shouldn't be on the field. If he studies, practices hard, and makes himself the better option on gameday, then he plays. If not, then he sits his *ss on the bench until he does so, or the vet retires.......PERIOD!

That does not apply in the NFL. Great Values to teach our sons but the NFL is a business. Do I really have to point out all the instances where a NFL coach adjusts his depth chart based on Franchise outlooks, contract sizes, contract lengths, ages???? Cmon man........lets keep it real.

The NFL has become more of a business than a game, and that's the problem. I actually hope the owners strong arm the players and lock thier *sses out next season until they all come back crying for a paycheck. If I was an owner I wouldn't budge on sh*t that involved giving these guys more money!

I can't see many players crawling back for a pay check, realistically they can go play football somewhere else and get paid a decent amount for it. But if the owners want more games than they need to pay the players for it.

Trust me.......let these guys go without a paycheck, and they'll be back. Not sure how long it will take, but they'll be back. The owners are much more financially equipped for a lockout than a player is. Thats why they're the owner Just like I heard that the NBA players want the owners to develop a more partner like relationship with them. WTF????? Owners own, and players play. What don't these fools understand about this sh*t. Don't like it.........buy a team!

That would be funny if ALL of them go to the UFL for a short term paycut, generate millions of fans in one season and instantly turn it into as big as the NFL.
  • AZ9er
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Originally posted by verb1der:
"Do I want to play (more on third downs?), "Yeah. That's where I made my name. That's where I made all my plays. Can I play it? Man, I don't have to say it myself. You turn the film on and you know that. But for some unknown reasons ... he wanted to save me for the rest of the season. But my stance on that is just the fact that if we ain't winning, ain't nobody going to be saved for the season. Period."~Spikes

That is so sad

Very sad. He is basically saying, since there is no more season to salvage, LET ME PLAY!
Spikes needs to prove his worth so he can sign with another team in the offseason after we let him go...We are doing him dirty by keeping him out of key situations for a rookie instead. He is going to look bad around the league.

We treat our players like s**t even though we suck ass. What a f**ked up team this is.

I think he is more saying.."If you are trying to save me for later in the season for important games, well if we keep losing now, there won't be any important games to play"

basically "STFU and let me play so we can still try and salvage the season...we'll worry about health later"

Love Takeo man.... I feel bad for him, he deserves better than this.

Best interpretation I have read thus far. When the ship is sinking you don't want least experienced guys manning the life boats or bailing water, you want the craft old sea dog to help save your life, while there is life to be saved.
Bowman in on 3rd down is a liability. How many 1st downs has he given up to a scrambling QB who jukes him out of his shoes. This kid is not ready to be on the field yet. Keep Spikes in the damn game! Yet another way for Singletary to screw the team out of any possible chance of winning games.
i understand giving Bowman some reps, so he gets some experience. He may or may not be a future starting ILB on this team, so it would be good to let him play. However, Spikes should be in there on crucial downs and situations. He's still one of our better defenders.

Sing is so full of dog s**t
More on Spikes sitting out third downs in this article.

In brief:

"Would I like to play third downs? Yeah. That's where I made my name; that's where I made all my plays," Spikes said. "Can I do it? You know that."
More on Spikes sitting out third downs in this article.

In brief:

"Would I like to play third downs? Yeah. That's where I made my name; that's where I made all my plays," Spikes said. "Can I do it? You know that."

OMG! This f**king chaps my ass!!!!!! I've seen Bowman give up HUGE 3rd down gains that I know Spikes would of made the play on and made the other team punt.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Bowman just needs reps, Spikes is over the hill, time to move on.
  • Chief
  • Veteran
So Dingleberry said he is saving Spikes for the playoffs? Makes sense...

Share 49ersWebzone