There are 189 users in the forums

Spikes speaks out about reduced role

Shop Find 49ers gear online
In the aftermath of a loss to the Chiefs in Week 3, Mike Singletary told linebacker Takeo Spikes that he'd be sharing snaps with rookie NaVorro Bowman the rest of the season.

The move was made to help reduce the wear and tear on the 33-year-old Spikes, a 13-year veteran. Spikes wasn't initially thrilled about his reduction in playing time, but has since softened his stance, Singletary said today.

"At first Takeo really wasn't excited about it," Singletary said. "But when he looks at the film and sees himself play, he really appreciates it."

Really? Spikes was quite adept at concealing his gratitude today.
On Sunday, Spikes was on the sideline late in the fourth quarter when the Panthers went on an eight-play, 63-yard drive that was capped by a game-tying touchdown.

Read the rest

http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/2010/10/spikes-speaks-out-about-reduced-role.html
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
rats!
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Can't blame him for wanting to play.

But as the season keeps fading away more younger playes should get more playing time.
[ Edited by susweel on Oct 27, 2010 at 12:00 PM ]
Quote:
Singletary said. "But when he looks at the film...

Well hopefully this helps Bowman next year when Spikes will be one year older in his career and Singletary and Manusky will be gone.
Sing and the coaching staff is just clueless. Let's take out one of the true leaders and one of the guys still playing with some actual fire and heart and throw in a rookie.
Spikes worried? He's probably still shaking his had at Michael Lewis:

"Lewis, my man...why worry, man? I ain't. This dude will be gone next year, I get some rest and money this year and new coach puts me right back in. Should have stayed on board, Lewis."
Originally posted by lamontb:
Sing and the coaching staff is just clueless. Let's take out one of the true leaders and one of the guys still playing with some actual fire and heart and throw in a rookie.

true. you can't lead by example and teach the younger guys behind you if you are sitting on the bench during critical downs. bowman has a lot to learn, and the crash course he is taking hurts the rest of the team and pisses off one of your defensive leaders. dumb ass coach.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by Joecool:
Spikes worried? He's probably still shaking his had at Michael Lewis:

"Lewis, my man...why worry, man? I ain't. This dude will be gone next year, I get some rest and money this year and new coach puts me right back in. Should have stayed on board, Lewis."

Word on the street is that when Lewis reduced his contract that this year was fully guaranteed so the man got his money no matter what.
"Do I want to play (more on third downs?), "Yeah. That's where I made my name. That's where I made all my plays. Can I play it? Man, I don't have to say it myself. You turn the film on and you know that. But for some unknown reasons ... he wanted to save me for the rest of the season. But my stance on that is just the fact that if we ain't winning, ain't nobody going to be saved for the season. Period."~Spikes

That is so sad

Originally posted by lamontb:

The more we suck the more I like and come to respect Spikes, there's simply no quit in the man.
I like the players on this team. I hate the coaching staff.

We can't even use people properly on Defense, what does that say about the much more complicated realm of Offense? Disgusting.
For all those who said the players still fully support Singletary... Take note!
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
What a mess this team is
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by 49erFan:
For all those who said the players still fully support Singletary... Take note!

I bet you PWilly is thinking the same thing. He and Spikes are really close.
Share 49ersWebzone