LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 224 users in the forums

Spikes speaks out about reduced role

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by 49erFan:
For all those who said the players still fully support Singletary... Take note!

I bet you PWilly is thinking the same thing. He and Spikes are really close.

P willy probably regrets extending his contract. Shout out to Paarag for signing VD and Willis before the season started.

If not, they would be out of here as soon as their contracts expired.
Originally posted by 76Razor:
Originally posted by lamontb:
Sing and the coaching staff is just clueless. Let's take out one of the true leaders and one of the guys still playing with some actual fire and heart and throw in a rookie.

true. you can't lead by example and teach the younger guys behind you if you are sitting on the bench during critical downs. bowman has a lot to learn, and the crash course he is taking hurts the rest of the team and pisses off one of your defensive leaders. dumb ass coach.

Exactly. Nothing wrong with getting the young guys out there, but spikes isn't playing bad at all. I'm sure the rest of the guys are like why is Spikes not out here with us. He's battled all game and now in the clutch we take him out. Not to mention he just made a clutch int the week before to seal the game. Yet they leave Chilo's sorry ass on the field as if he's playing great. It's an all out joke with this coaching staff.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by 49erFan:
For all those who said the players still fully support Singletary... Take note!

I bet you PWilly is thinking the same thing. He and Spikes are really close.

P willy probably regrets extending his contract. Shout out to Paarag for signing VD and Willis before the season started.

If not, they would be out of here as soon as their contracts expired.

Seriously.
Originally posted by verb1der:
"Do I want to play (more on third downs?), "Yeah. That's where I made my name. That's where I made all my plays. Can I play it? Man, I don't have to say it myself. You turn the film on and you know that. But for some unknown reasons ... he wanted to save me for the rest of the season. But my stance on that is just the fact that if we ain't winning, ain't nobody going to be saved for the season. Period."~Spikes

That is so sad

Very sad. He is basically saying, since there is no more season to salvage, LET ME PLAY!
Spikes needs to prove his worth so he can sign with another team in the offseason after we let him go...We are doing him dirty by keeping him out of key situations for a rookie instead. He is going to look bad around the league.

We treat our players like s**t even though we suck ass. What a f**ked up team this is.
im all for bowman getting more snaps. but the coaching has to have a better grasp of when to put rook in over the vet and the coaching staff hasnt had a string of good decisions lately
Originally posted by Allx9er:
im all for bowman getting more snaps. but the coaching has to have a better grasp of when to put rook in over the vet and the coaching staff hasnt had a string of good decisions lately

Yeah. Keep Bowman in on 1st down or second and shorts....NOT key 3rd down situations at the end of the game when your season is on the line!

f**kin bafoon coach sing.
"Do I want to play (more on third downs?), "Yeah. That's where I made my name. That's where I made all my plays. Can I play it? Man, I don't have to say it myself. You turn the film on and you know that. But for some unknown reasons ... he wanted to save me for the rest of the season. But my stance on that is just the fact that if we ain't winning, ain't nobody going to be saved for the season. Period."~Spikes

That is so sad

Very sad. He is basically saying, since there is no more season to salvage, LET ME PLAY!
Spikes needs to prove his worth so he can sign with another team in the offseason after we let him go...We are doing him dirty by keeping him out of key situations for a rookie instead. He is going to look bad around the league.

We treat our players like s**t even though we suck ass. What a f**ked up team this is.

I think he is more saying.."If you are trying to save me for later in the season for important games, well if we keep losing now, there won't be any important games to play"

basically "STFU and let me play so we can still try and salvage the season...we'll worry about health later"

Love Takeo man.... I feel bad for him, he deserves better than this.
[ Edited by Afrikan on Oct 27, 2010 at 12:40 PM ]
Originally posted by Afrikan:

That is so sad

I think he is more saying.."If you are trying to save me for later in the season for important games, well if we keep losing now, there won't be any important games to play"

basically "STFU and let me play so we can still try and salvage the season...we'll worry about health later"

Love Takeo man.... I feel bad for him, he deserves better than this.

True. Probably a little bit of both.
In the final drive of the Panther game I probably posted 4 or 5 times, "why is Bowman in instead of Spikes?" Wasn't it Spikes that had the game winning interception against the Raiders? Wasn't it Bowman that go burned, shaked and juked out of his socks the last few weeks?

I've never believed in a coach more this decade than Singleminded. Now I just hate him.
Originally posted by 76Razor:
Sing and the coaching staff is just clueless. Let's take out one of the true leaders and one of the guys still playing with some actual fire and heart and throw in a rookie.

true. you can't lead by example and teach the younger guys behind you if you are sitting on the bench during critical downs. bowman has a lot to learn, and the crash course he is taking hurts the rest of the team and pisses off one of your defensive leaders. dumb ass coach.

Exactly. Nothing wrong with getting the young guys out there, but spikes isn't playing bad at all. I'm sure the rest of the guys are like why is Spikes not out here with us. He's battled all game and now in the clutch we take him out. Not to mention he just made a clutch int the week before to seal the game. Yet they leave Chilo's sorry ass on the field as if he's playing great. It's an all out joke with this coaching staff.

i bet this kinda double standard and mickey mouse bulls**t is exactly what some ex players are talking about. hell, i will go as far as to say current players see this as bulls**t. you pull a proven vet in spikes yet keep a poor playing chilo out on the field?

Its astounding - you put the rookie in when the game is on the line? Nice move doofass coach.

The comedy is I used to think Singletary was just deflecting the media with his answers - because I ASSUMED to get where he is he had to know what worked and what didn't.

But when the guy keeps making the same mistakes over and over because of his stubborn arrogance, well...he actually believes his own baloney!! Now that is dangerous and were seeing the catastrophe unfold before us.

They used to say about the Soviet Union -- "They are dangerous because they believe their own propoganda."
Bowman seems like a punk to me. Spikes is a class act. Whats the rush to get Bowman in the line up anyway? He was a 3rd round pick. Usually guys like that are on the Niner's 5 year development plan.
  • ACUK
  • Veteran
I don't understand the rush to get Bowman onto the feild, I would prefer to keep Spikes another year and let Bowman learn at a slower pace.
  • bret
  • Veteran
I was all for giving Bowman more playing time. He's the future, give him a little on-the-job training, rather than just siting him at the end of the bench. And if Spikes (or M. Lewis in the case of Mays) doesn't like it, tough!

But two things really trouble me: one is the fact that they're benching Spikes in crunch time.

And two, did Sing really tell Spikes the move was to preserve his health?! No wonder Sing is losing his players, feeding players' BS like that!
Bowman has been the cause of AT LEAST 4, 3rd and long conversions. Spikes would of made the stop.
Share 49ersWebzone