There are 94 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Give the Yorks Last Chance!

Jed is young and listening to uncle Eddie. I see a change happening. It takes time to get out of such a mess. I support Jed as well. As Pres, he did the right thing by publicly backing his coach. I would do the same. Talking about firing your coach in the middle of the season is not helpful to any team. I Hope he keeps coach Sing at least 1 more year. I don't believe Jed is the same as his dad. He is one of us. A true fan.
Originally posted by 49ERSAM:
Again, this offseason is the perfect opportunity for the Yorks to finally get it right.
They have and must be willing to spend tons of money in coaching, period.
As an avid fan for more than 30 years, I begin to really get pissed off at the York's
incompetence.

If they are not willing to take financial hits for a superbowl quality
coach, then there is no sense rooting for a football team that mediocrity is the goal
and loosing mentality runs through the bloodlines of the owners that are pretentious,
always putting a facade, and not willing to admit that they are who they are...
losers! If the owners are losers, then their team will be losers too, period![/left]

The issue isn't money. At the beginning, John York scaled back the money that Eddie D was spending because he didn't know how to run a football team.

Lets give John a little credit here for learning what he didn't know. Since that time, the Niners spending habits have changed dramatically. He paid 8 Mil just to get rid of Erickson and Donahue. Since Jed has taken over they have spent $$$$ all over the place. They have spent on FAs, they have completely upgraded and remodled the HQ and Locker rooms, and they have resigned important players early on in their contracts to keep them happy.

Peeps need to stop spitting out stupid "the Yorks are cheap" arguments and get more current information.

The problem here is not money, its spending the money wisely. Those are two COMPLETELY different things.

Additionally, if the Yorks think spending 5 Mil to get a coach will help them get their 950 million dollar stadium, they will write that check...no problem. Thjey know that this losing season comes at the WORST possible time. They need a WINNER to get this stadium built.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Oct 26, 2010 at 9:03 AM ]
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Again, this offseason is the perfect opportunity for the Yorks to finally get it right.
As an avid fan for more than 30 years, I begin to really get pissed off at the York's
incompetence.

coach, then there is no sense rooting for a football team that mediocrity is the goal
and loosing mentality runs through the bloodlines of the owners that are pretentious,
losers! If the owners are losers, then their team will be losers too, period![/left]

The issue isn't money. At the beginning, John York scaled back the money that Eddie D was spending because he didn't know how to run a football team.

Lets give John a little credit here for learning what he didn't know. Since that time, the Niners spending habits have changed dramatically. He paid 8 Mil just to get rid of Erickson and Donahue. Since Jed has taken over they have spent $$$$ all over the place. They have spent on FAs, they have completely upgraded and remodled the HQ and Locker rooms, and they have resigned important players early on in their contracts to keep them happy.

Peeps need to stop spitting out stupid "the Yorks are cheap" arguments and get more current information.

The problem here is not money, its spending the money wisely. Those are two COMPLETELY different things.

Additionally, if the Yorks think spending 5 Mil to get a coach will help them get their 950 million dollar stadium, they will write that check...no problem. Thjey know that this losing season comes at the WORST possible time. They need a WINNER to get this stadium built.

Oh...and one more thing about Jed and Eddie.

Its funny....Eddie is perceived as this fantastic owner who could do no wrong.

I love Eddie, don't get me wrong, but he hired Joe Thomas before he hired Walsh. He sanctioned the trade for OJ Simpson when he clearly had nothing left. Eddie made public gaffes by informing the media Marc Tressman(sp?) was "out of here" before he told Marc. Eddie wasn't perfect. He was impulsive, he argued with Walsh (and thats one of the reason Walsh retired) and he made brash statements.

Peeps are all over Jed for sating "we will win the division". Ya know what...thats what Eddie would have done. You can say Jed doesn't know what he's doing, you can say he's too young....you can say so many things, but the reality is that he CARES just as much as Eddie did. Sometimes he's gonna get it right, and sometimes he's gonna get it wrong....just like Eddie.

Give the kid a break and lets just watch and see what he does with this thing. At least he gives a sh*t....something that can't be said for all of the owners in the NFL.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Oct 26, 2010 at 9:21 AM ]
incompetence.

Good Post. Agree 100%
incompetence.

Oh...and one more thing about Jed and Eddie.

Its funny....Eddie is perceived as this fantastic owner who could do no wrong.

I love Eddie, don't get me wrong, but he hired Joe Thomas before he hired Walsh. He sanctioned the trade for OJ Simpson when he clearly had nothing left. Eddie made public gaffes by informing the media Marc Tressman(sp?) was "out of here" before he told Marc. Eddie wasn't perfect. He was impulsive, he argued with Walsh (and thats one of the reason Walsh retired) and he made brash statements.

Peeps are all over Jed for sating "we will win the division". Ya know what...thats what Eddie would have done. You can say Jed doesn't know what he's doing, you can say he's too young....you can say so many things, but the reality is that he CARES just as much as Eddie did. Sometimes he's gonna get it right, and sometimes he's gonna get it wrong....just like Eddie.

Give the kid a break and lets just watch and see what he does with this thing. At least he gives a sh*t....something that can't be said for all of the owners in the NFL.

Got to agree with this as well. Jed has only been in charge for about 2 years now. We still don't know what the future holds with him. His Dad was completely clueless and left Donahue while getting rid of Mooch. The guy is freaking doctor what did he know about football. He ran it like a business and nothing like Eddie ever would.

I remember back then right after the 2-14 season in 2005 ESPN ran a story on John and Denise. These were those "dark ages" we talk about when both John and Denise never showed their faces and started cost cutting everywhere.

The story depicted how John would even try cut back on the amount of Gatorade we needed for the team and other stories about how X-mas gifts stopped for player's kids. A total 180 from the Eddie D. days. Very good story that painted a bleak future. Still looking for those Betterdayz...........
Originally posted by true49erfan:
Jed is young and listening to uncle Eddie. I see a change happening. It takes time to get out of such a mess. I support Jed as well. As Pres, he did the right thing by publicly backing his coach. I would do the same. Talking about firing your coach in the middle of the season is not helpful to any team. I Hope he keeps coach Sing at least 1 more year. I don't believe Jed is the same as his dad. He is one of us. A true fan.

The problem with Jed is he has no experience in football what so ever except he was at Niners games on the sidelines.
Originally posted by NorthNiner:
Fans are totally screwed. The Yorks are the worst owners in the NFL and will never get it right. Blackouts are in the near future and I could see the team moving someday. Face it people, Jed somehow managed to find someone WORSE THAN NOLAN!!!

ABSOLUTELY RIGHT!

Jed made the decision by emotion, hiring an emotional guy, with a team without accountability to emotional fans!

Look at PWillis, he got paid big buko bucks in the offseason, but he's nowhere to be found most of the time. He should be the most vocal of them all!!!!!!!! At least, I can't say that to VD this year!

As for Alex Smith - just dissapear - please! This is the last time I will be calling/writing his name. To me, he is gone!

Well, I know you'd ask.. whatabout Singletary?
The guy works real hard but he's got to admit his weakness - he will never be a good NFL coach, period! He should quit during the bye week, if he's a man.
It doesn't matter if an owner wants to win if he is making decisions that should be made by experts. York could be a competent owner if he hired actual football people to make the decisions and stayed out of the way.

Owners just suck at being GMs.

Can you imagine yourself interviewing Sing in your office, a guy who would be in charge of your NFL football franchise, a very public and emotional business, and not asking any questions about how he would actually coach, the nuts and bolts of his management style?

Was York motivated and jumping up and down,screaming with enthusiasm, wanting to punch the terrified secretary, anyone?

Yup, he got motivated and did not do the diligence that is required of a successful owner. Of course, he can man-up, admit his mistake, get rid of Sing and run the team professionally from here on out. In time this will all be in the past and people will be happier and owning will be happier. But, the longer this idiocy continues, the longer York, Sing, the players and the fans all suffer.
Originally posted by FL9er:
It's pointless to complain about the owners. They're not selling and they're not firing themselves.

THIS As long as they're putting butts in seats they really don't care what we few in the Webzone think. And I'll bet that MOST don't even buy enough 49er's tickets to make a difference.

Keep in mind that this is a LARGE city (San Francisco) and the Bay area and there are a large number of businesses who buys season tickets as well a mezzanine areas (suites) for their employees and clients. This alone puts a lot of fannies in the seats albeit that most are not 49er's fans.

Also this is Jed Yorks 2nd year (if I'm right) and if the mom and pop did indeed gave him control, let's hope that he listens to uncle D and make things right.

Uncle D cared about having a winning football franchise and let's hope that some of that rubs off.

Quote from an article I read at SFGATE : "DeBartolo succeeded in a difficult business, he said, because "I had more than my share of street sense. It's important that you get bloodied a little bit. You have to take your lumps, then go right back."

Does York have street sense?

"He's getting it," DeBartolo said. "This is something new to him." Unquote.

Singletary was his first choice and just like MOST of us, was fooled when Mike took them on a winning streak at the end of Mike Nolan's era. Let's see what happens next.
[ Edited by Kauaiguy on Oct 26, 2010 at 11:48 PM ]
Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.
how many chances are considered "a last chance".
It's not Jed giving vote of confidence. Jed is in charge now, not Big J. I still sense
Little j is on to something on this upcoming bye.

Niners owner John York usually lets his son Jed do the media talking, but he took a few moments to field questions today during an appearance at a London school.

The first question: Will Mike Singletary remain your head coach?

"Mike is our coach," John York said while several 49ers taught the school kids some of the basics of American football.

"If we can stop giving the ball away, stop turning it over, I think we'll be OK."

??????You think we'll be OK??????? You're just aiming to be OK???????

Second question: We know Singletary is your head coach, but will he remain your head coach the rest of this season?

"Yes, he's our coach," York said, giving the same answer his son did when the team dropped to 0-5. "It didn't help to have Alex injured, but we'll have to deal with that separately."

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/ninerinsider/detail?entry_id=75474#ixzz13UKtLt6E
the dreaded vote of confidence.

On that note, This thread gets my vote of confidence...
means absolutely nothing. We lose to denver, Singletary is gone.