LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 302 users in the forums

Things to look forward to NEXT year...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
Are you talking about Mike Singletary?
Once the new staff comes in and starts yet another rebuilding process, I think these will be the guys currently on this roster, that will be worth keeping and building around:

(in no order)

1. Patrick Willis
2. Justin Smith
3. Ricky Jean Francois
4. Taylor Mays (based on potential)
5. Frank Gore
6. Vernon Davis
7. Michael Crabtree
8. Anthony Davis (based on potential)
9. Mike Iupati (based on potential)
10. Eric Heitman
11. Ted Ginn

Some might argue with Ginn, but keep in mind that he's been a very good KR and PR for us. Others will have a problem with Heitman, but as people see, the confusion in our protections is really hurting this team. A smart lineman is not to be underestimated. Davis, Iupati and Mays make the list only as unproven high draft picks.
yes because two years ago we should have known that dumbass is a extension of nolan and nothing has change and like usually we would have a late season surge and getting pump for the following season
Carr isnt losing us these games..
no discipline and overall bad play at the worst times is.

A coach who can get the best out of the players and a QB who is great on a consistent basis(not only in the spread) will get this team goin
Manny Lawson should be on here. So should Snyder, he's too valuable as a backup and saves a roster spot on gameday
Originally posted by Marvin49:
1) Most likely a new coach. I actually like Sing, but he is really and extension of the Nolan era. Most of the coaches and the entire team concept are the same. It was fun for awhile, but its clear its not working. Maybe John Gruden? Jim Harbaugh?

Whats really nice here tho is that when a new coach comes in, there is ALOT of YOUNG talent on this roster and Willis and Davis have already been locked up to extensions. The good news in that as that a coach may see the Niners as "not that far away" and that could make the job more atteractive.

2) Likely a high pick that might turn into a new QB. I've always kinda been an Alex Smith defender. Its not that I think he's a great QB, its just that I always thought he was being scapegoated and we as 49er fans are spoiled rotten by QB play. I would actually like to see him come back, but no doubt the Niners need another contender. I'l LOVE to get Andrew Luck (Harbaugh and Luck? Hrmmm....), Locker I'd like but much less than luck, and I'll pass on Mallet.

As for Free Agents....I don't see anyone right now who I'd be interested it. Vick will stay in Philly and Kolb us in a contract that makes him difficult to trade. We'll just have to see.

3) The rookies. Yes, Anthony Davis probably had his worst day as a pro yesterday, but I think the guy is gonna be a good one. He is just having trouble with the stunt so teams keep running it on him. He is NOT getting beaten physically...he is getting beaten the way a rookie gets beaten. I've seen peeps here say he should move to LT because its more "natural for him". NO. BIG mistake. The DEs and OLBs on the left side are smaller and faster....and thats the stuff he's having trouble with. I think he'll be fine. Even if he isn't tho...he could be moved inside to RG because the guy is huge and moves people. Thats the beauty of taking a huge tackle...if they dion't work out they can be moved inside.

I think Iupati will be fine. He's just raw. Once he gets it tho, he's a keeper. The thing tho with BOTH of these guys is that we knew before the year that they were gonna struggle. O-Line in college is diff than the pros and its a big jump. It just takes time.

Mays....wow. He made a few mistakes yesterday, but I actually came away feeling much higher on him than I have in the past. Why? because even tho he didn't make every play, HE WAS THERE TO MAKE THE PLAY. The criticism on him is college was that he was TOO BIG to change direction and run in pass defense. He was there yesterday. He was running stride for stride with Steve Smith in the Endzone. He's a rook and has stuff to learn (and more importantly, knows that he has stuff to learn). My fav quote from him all year...it was after his interception in the preseason. He was being congratulated and he said essentially that he did what the play designed and he did what he was supposed to do. Thats it. No beating his chest....he was where he was supposed to be and made the play he was supposed to make. Love it.

Bowman...hrmm. Makes a few great plays....completely zones out on others. We may need Spikes back for another year.

Dixon...love the guy. GREAT energy, will do anything asked, and a great RB to boot. The guy is gonna be here for a long time.

Can't comment to much on the others as they haven't played much.

4) Our own Free Agents...I just dunno here. I've never been as high as some on Goldson. He made a few good plays in run D, but he's been invisible in pass D. Theres a part of me that would really not be to sad to see him go and see what Clements can do at FS. I know Nate got burned at CB yesterday, but his play style seems like it would be a perfect fit for a center-field type Ed Reed like FS. He may not want to make the move and I think he's due alot of money next year....but I have a feeling whatever team hes on, his future is at FS and he may be a pro bowler at that position. Of course tho...moving Clements to FS would mean finding a starting corner.

Manny....geez. I really like Manny. He just always seems to be just on the cusp of "arriving" and he never quite gets there. If he is going to be high priced as a FA, I say let him go. I like Ahmad Brooks, and he comes much cheaper and is already under contract.

5) Not only does a bad result give us a shot possibly at one of the better QBs...it gives us better draft position in every round. On a team that already has an abundance of talent, whomever the GM will be will be in prome position to get even more.

Anyway...this is how I sleep at night after watching what has been the worst season in recent memory. I'd rather look forward to the potentially positive than mire myself in the current atrocity.

Makes sense
GET A REAL COACH! PLEASE I CANT TAKE IT ANYMORE. JED CLAMPETT, YOU HEAR ME?
The draft.
WOW kills me how nobody talking about NY Giants OC Kevin Gilbride as Niners head coaching candidate. Then Draft QB Ryan Mallett in 2011 Draft we'd be back where we deserve.

maybe I will go blind and not have to see this sh&t anymore

I speculate a lot of shock and awe moves/drastic changes that might happen ala Pete Carroll (Seattle).

Remember, this is going to be the first "actual" rebuild we've had since Erickson came in (where s**t will be gutted into the image/statement of the new coach's philosophy).

-Bye-bye Sing.
-Bye-bye all assistant/coordinating coaches but Jim Tomsula.
-Baalke goes back to scouting.
-Bye-bye A.Smith, Carr. T.Smith, Nate Davis, Demetric Evans.
-Bye-bye Takeo Spikes (he's probably retiring anyways.)
-Nate Clements' contract re-negotiated, and traded. (No-brainer.)
-Chilo Rachel traded. (Your butt-buddy Sing won't be around to protect you.)
-Frank Gore 'possibly' traded. (He'll be a cancer to the locker room if the next HC loves to pass.)
-Bye-bye Franklin. (Proven himself not worthy of #1 DT money.)
-Josh Morgan traded/cut (no need for a slow WR wanting #2 money in 2011).
-Manny Lawson signed to 1-yr tender or cut (with Manusky/Sing out his future with the team could be questionable... could be cut period if the new coach runs a 4-3).

This is just my opinion/speculation, but lots of meat is gonna get cut under the next regime (specially if it's gonna be a 'smarter' one).

[ Edited by SnakePlissken on Oct 25, 2010 at 20:45:29 ]
I have seen so many different plans as to how we should approach next season. So I would like to present my plans for the team.

1) Obviously Sing will be canned by next year and we will look for a new HC. I would like to hire Jim Harbaugh because of his NFL ready coaching staff that he has at Stanford. He took an 1-11 squad and turned it into a contender in the PAC 10. I also like Gruden because of his offensive mind set, but the fact is he took the bucs to the Super Bowl and did nothing for the next 7 seasons. Bill Cower next on the list for me, he brings discipline and has plenty of experience. He will run the show and most likely scout some good talent. Any of those 3 would put a smile on my face if hired.

2) Once this season is over Alex Smith will most likely be out of here. However, I think that people give him too mutch criticism. The man has been put thru the worst of conditions and I wish him good luck where ever he goes.

If we indeed get the number 1 overall pick in the draft, Andrew Luck is my QB of choice(I should say most everyones choice). He is a good sized QB with a good arm, good accuracy, and is very talented when rolling out of the pocket and running play action pass plays. If not him I think that Jake Locker should be our next option. He has amazing accuracy and throws well on the run like Luck. I don't know about his arm strength though and am worried he will be limited by that.

Whoever we decide to draft I think that we should not start him. We should bring in an experienced QB similar to McNabb. Whoever starts will serve as Luck's mentor like Favre did with Rodgers. The next year we start Luck and he will hopefully be comfortable in the offense and he will be ready to lead us back to our winning ways.

3) We should look into trading for a big time D linemen because the reason our DB's are giving up so many passing yards is because the QB has ALL DAY to throw the football. Against the Panthers our pass rush non existent, allowing for Moore to throw for over 300 yards. So I think that next to QB, a prime pass rusher should be our mane concern.

4) The last thing I would look into is moving Zeigler ahead of Ginn. Why? you ask. He does not have the toughness to be a WR in the NFL. Did you see that one pass from Carr that Ginn didnt even go for because he thought he was going to get smacked by a panther defender? He ducked for heaven sake! Zeigler is fast and is not afraid to get hit. He is a speedy WR as well and works harder then Ginn. I say put Ginn on desighn plays to go deep or to use him as a decoy for other receivers to get open.

So that my plan for the coming years. I think if all the following happens, it's not far fetched to say that we can make the playoffs right off the bat and maybe make some noise while we are there. Hell, I would go 0-16 this season if it meant getting back to our winning ways! What say you?
Another huge prediction: Jason Hill is gonna keep his job, and the next HC is going to breathe new life into his career/utilize his talents better (as possibly a slot/#2 receiver to Crabs).

If anybody's been a bigger victim to Singletary's ignorant/tyrannic reign, it's been Jason Hill. Kid has talent, and that "if he's so good why isn't he playing?" crap argument is non-and-void, since Singletary is making all of the personnel decisions on both sides of the ball.

[ Edited by SnakePlissken on Oct 25, 2010 at 20:54:07 ]
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
1. Alex fighting for a spot on the depth chart in the CFL.
2. Sing in the booth for FOX
3. Jed York losing control of the team after soliciting a large number of hookers.
4. The NFL draft

my fingers are crossed

1. Alex going to another team in free agency (NFL/CFL dont care what happens after that) anywhere but here
2.Sing goes back to LB coaching and studies the game intensely for at least a decade before trying to be HC again
3.York family give up any stock in this team to anyone please.. no one can be as bad as them...
4.The NFL draft

just my version
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
I speculate a lot of shock and awe moves/drastic changes that might happen ala Pete Carroll (Seattle).

Remember, this is going to be the first "actual" rebuild we've had since Erickson came in (where s**t will be gutted into the image/statement of the new coach's philosophy).

-Bye-bye Sing.
-Bye-bye all assistant/coordinating coaches but Jim Tomsula.
-Baalke goes back to scouting.
-Bye-bye A.Smith, Carr. T.Smith, Nate Davis, Demetric Evans.
-Bye-bye Takeo Spikes (he's probably retiring anyways.)
-Nate Clements' contract re-negotiated, and traded. (No-brainer.)
-Chilo Rachel traded. (Your butt-buddy Sing won't be around to protect you.)
-Frank Gore 'possibly' traded. (He'll be a cancer to the locker room if the next HC loves to pass.)
-Bye-bye Franklin. (Proven himself not worthy of #1 DT money.)
-Josh Morgan traded/cut (no need for a slow WR wanting #2 money in 2011).
-Manny Lawson signed to 1-yr tender or cut (with Manusky/Sing out his future with the team could be questionable... could be cut period if the new coach runs a 4-3).

This is just my opinion/speculation, but lots of meat is gonna get cut under the next regime (specially if it's gonna be a 'smarter' one).

How is there no lover for Gore? Hands down the most valuable player this team has had in years. Shame on you
Share 49ersWebzone