LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 152 users in the forums

Things to look forward to NEXT year...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by Joecool:
I agree 100% with this thread. We have a lot of young talent that an established/experienced veteran coach who has had success would salivate to shine the light on. Now add that to higher picks in each round and we are very tempting to any coach out there.

Of course, we have that one MAJOR issue: QB.

I hope we sign Alex as a well-defined backup while we acquire an established starter. Either way, if we don't get a starter, then we develop the youngster while Alex becomes Steve Deberg. If he excels under the new coach, then we have two QB's the league will desire and are even in a better place.

Exactly.

Alex either becomes Steve DeBerg or Drew Brees (the Chargers version when pushed by Phillip Rivers). Its win-win.

Are you guys insane? Why would they even consider keeping him after this season? How much more money can the Niners throw away on this guy?

If the Niners handle things right, they will sign a GM/Team President who will then:

- Hire a coach and a coaching staff
- Work on free agency and decide which of our players stay and who goes
- Sign or trade for a free agent QB and draft a developmental QB in the first two rounds.

LOL.... ;-)

I get the sign or trade option....I just dunno who we would want. I like Alex and think he's gotten a bad rap, but I also realize that he is 90% done in SF. Not only will the team be wary of resigning him, but why would he want to come back to this mess.

My biggest fear is him moving on, spending a few years with a team as a backup and then playing like we hoped he would when he was drafted.

[ Edited by Marvin49 on Oct 25, 2010 at 10:37:42 ]
Let me tell you, most cant even look past this year.

Ya'll talk about making QB change, HC change, maybe even GM change. And all most are concerned about is one position.

Well i'll be the first to say we'll be even worse next year, if from the top on down dont change.

So i think the focus is on upper management first. Get the right GM and HC, and we wont have to worry about the players and all that because finally the right man for the job will know exactly what he wants.

And honestly thats what i want.
Why would we draft a NT that high when we resign Franklin and still have RJF?
Originally posted by DaFaro49ers:
So I was a believer in a miracle comeback, then a revelation came through my crystal ball it stated: "this team sucks and end up getting a top 5 pick." So now here are the steps for a successful 2011 campaign in my mind:

1. The dismissal of Mike Singletary(I'm a fan, but change is needed) and the entire coaching staff. Hiring a new offensive minded coaching staff.

2. The resigning of Alex Smith(to be the number two and compete with the starter who we will aquire.) Also resigning: Manny Lawson, Aubrayo Franklin, David Baas....Travis Laboy...

3. The release of: Dashon Goldson, David Carr, Troy Smith, Moran Norris.

4. Conversion of Nate Clements to safety, to replace Goldson.

5. Trading our 4th and 5th round pick to Denver for Kyle Orton.(time to start Tebow). Also, Nate Davis would be on roster as 3rd string qb behind Alex and Orton.

6. In free agency aquiring: a Pass Rushing DE, a Stud FB, and a few strong backup LB's and Back up CB's.

7. Leaving the draft with a: 1st Round Pick CB, 2nd Round pick NT,3rd Round Pick OLB/DE....

Playoffs here we come....... I'm at work so I couldn't be so detailed. What y'all think?

I was with you....but are you saying we start Kyle Orton and make the playoffs and DON'T draft a QB?

Sorry...Orton isn't the answer.
I think Alex is a nice guy, but it has been a horrible marriage from the start. Both sides need to move on.

And didn't Nostradamus predict the future? This seems more like your wish list.
Originally posted by DaFaro49ers:
So I was a believer in a miracle comeback, then a revelation came through my crystal ball it stated: "this team sucks and end up getting a top 5 pick." So now here are the steps for a successful 2011 campaign in my mind:

1. The dismissal of Mike Singletary(I'm a fan, but change is needed) and the entire coaching staff. Hiring a new offensive minded coaching staff.

2. The resigning of Alex Smith(to be the number two and compete with the starter who we will aquire.) Also resigning: Manny Lawson, Aubrayo Franklin, David Baas....Travis Laboy...

3. The release of: Dashon Goldson, David Carr, Troy Smith, Moran Norris.

4. Conversion of Nate Clements to safety, to replace Goldson.

5. Trading our 4th and 5th round pick to Denver for Kyle Orton.(time to start Tebow). Also, Nate Davis would be on roster as 3rd string qb behind Alex and Orton.

6. In free agency aquiring: a Pass Rushing DE, a Stud FB, and a few strong backup LB's and Back up CB's.

7. Leaving the draft with a: 1st Round Pick CB, 2nd Round pick NT,3rd Round Pick OLB/DE....

Playoffs here we come....... I'm at work so I couldn't be so detailed. What y'all think?

1. Sing's gone no question about it.

2. I don't think Alex will be back. To much stink of the old regime...

3. Goldson isn't going anywhere and Troy Smith may still be around.

4. I'm not sure what's going to happen with Nate; but, he's been a liability when the receiver breaks out the double moves...

5. I like the thought of trading for a proven QB. Not sure it will be Orton though...

6. Were still going to build through the draft, especially with all the CBA crap...
looking forward to NEXT NEW YEAR and that's about it. and as for this team...nothing up until the team is sold.
nice post Marvin, I will love if somehow we ended up with HArbaugh and luck on this team, I think Gruden will be a better match but Harbaugh is a great coach also....

its really disappointing to have to go throw another season like this (still small chance we can make it a season) but I think jed will make the change no matter what happens....

its exiting if we end up hiring an aggressive, creative offensive minded head coach, with a young accurate QB.... as for know I just hope we give nate a chance to see if he is worth anything..

let go niners
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Hopper:
Originally posted by Hopper:
Next season can't come quick enough. Locker and our next HC beats watching our current train wreck.

I'd rather have Andrew Luck.

He's heading to Buffalo.

Don't be so sure....

1) Houston didn't take Bush (which has worked out for them)
2) With the way the Niners are playing, don't be so sure they don't end up with the first pick...especially if Smith is out long-term. As much a peeps hate Smith, he is BY FAR the best QB on the roster.

1)R.Bush isn't the best example to use for Buffalo passing up a potential franchise QB.

2) Carr starting still doesn't change the fact Bufflo has a much tougher schedule than us.
I agree 100% with this thread. We have a lot of young talent that an established/experienced veteran coach who has had success would salivate to shine the light on. Now add that to higher picks in each round and we are very tempting to any coach out there.

I hope we sign Alex as a well-defined backup while we acquire an established starter. Either way, if we don't get a starter, then we develop the youngster while Alex becomes Steve Deberg. If he excels under the new coach, then we have two QB's the league will desire and are even in a better place.

Exactly.

Alex either becomes Steve DeBerg or Drew Brees (the Chargers version when pushed by Phillip Rivers). Its win-win.

Are you guys insane? Why would they even consider keeping him after this season? How much more money can the Niners throw away on this guy?

If the Niners handle things right, they will sign a GM/Team President who will then:

- Sign or trade for a free agent QB and draft a developmental QB in the first two rounds.

LOL.... ;-)

I get the sign or trade option....I just dunno who we would want. I like Alex and think he's gotten a bad rap, but I also realize that he is 90% in SF. Not only will the team be wary of resigning him, but why would he want to come back to this mess.

My biggest fear is him moving on, spending a few years with a team as a backup and then playing like we hoped he would when he was drafted.

Your biggest fear? It has been six years and Alex hasn't played like we had hoped. SIX FREAKING YEARS!!!!!!! Who cares if he wants to come back?

The Yorks have to be smart and leave these decisions up to a TRUE professional. Hire a GM and let him figure it out.

I would prefer to go back to the days when we go 1-6 with a talentless team. That way was funner.

Exactly.

LOL.... ;-)

I get the sign or trade option....I just dunno who we would want. I like Alex and think he's gotten a bad rap, but I also realize that he is 90% in SF. Not only will the team be wary of resigning him, but why would he want to come back to this mess.

Your biggest fear? It has been six years and Alex hasn't played like we had hoped. SIX FREAKING YEARS!!!!!!! Who cares if he wants to come back?

The Yorks have to be smart and leave these decisions up to a TRUE professional. Hire a GM and let him figure it out.

Alex would make a solid backup similar to Shaun Hill. I wouldn't mind having a player like him as a backup. The other part of it is the "what if..." what if he can be highlighted by a coach who knows how to do it. Either way, we look to a new starter and have a backup plan...something we haven't had in a long time now.
There's no way Alex would re-sign here. Dude could probably compete for a starting job somewhere else, a place that has a good system in place. This whole franchise is incompetent. I have no idea how the Yorkies are going to lure in a respectable coach either, why would anyone want to come here?
  • fan49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by rapid4:
No, it's going to get worse before it gets any better. Sing has drafted for an obsolete power running game. Anthony Davis is a huge road grader, but he will always be able to get beaten by a speed rush. Similar with Chilo Rachal. They have now entrenched personnel to run a bad offensive system.

Compare the WCO which doesn't require first-round offensive linemen to hold blocks forever, features a high-percentage, low turnover passing game and is unpredictable to defenses. We are never going back to that with Yorks in charge, so forget John Gruden and the like. They do need to make a big splash to make a last-gasp grab for PSL money, so maybe shower Cowher with money to make us look like the Steelers.

Back in the day, Walsh always put a first priority on a premier pass rusher, and spent most of the high draft picks on defense.

no more defensive head coaches!!!!!!!! We will suck again!
  • fan49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by binary2nd:
There's no way Alex would re-sign here. Dude could probably compete for a starting job somewhere else, a place that has a good system in place. This whole franchise is incompetent. I have no idea how the Yorkies are going to lure in a respectable coach either, why would anyone want to come here?

it would be easier if there from the 9ner tree.
Share 49ersWebzone