There are 237 users in the forums

Things to look forward to NEXT year...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
1) Most likely a new coach. I actually like Sing, but he is really and extension of the Nolan era. Most of the coaches and the entire team concept are the same. It was fun for awhile, but its clear its not working. Maybe John Gruden? Jim Harbaugh?

Whats really nice here tho is that when a new coach comes in, there is ALOT of YOUNG talent on this roster and Willis and Davis have already been locked up to extensions. The good news in that as that a coach may see the Niners as "not that far away" and that could make the job more atteractive.

2) Likely a high pick that might turn into a new QB. I've always kinda been an Alex Smith defender. Its not that I think he's a great QB, its just that I always thought he was being scapegoated and we as 49er fans are spoiled rotten by QB play. I would actually like to see him come back, but no doubt the Niners need another contender. I'l LOVE to get Andrew Luck (Harbaugh and Luck? Hrmmm....), Locker I'd like but much less than luck, and I'll pass on Mallet.

As for Free Agents....I don't see anyone right now who I'd be interested it. Vick will stay in Philly and Kolb us in a contract that makes him difficult to trade. We'll just have to see.

3) The rookies. Yes, Anthony Davis probably had his worst day as a pro yesterday, but I think the guy is gonna be a good one. He is just having trouble with the stunt so teams keep running it on him. He is NOT getting beaten physically...he is getting beaten the way a rookie gets beaten. I've seen peeps here say he should move to LT because its more "natural for him". NO. BIG mistake. The DEs and OLBs on the left side are smaller and faster....and thats the stuff he's having trouble with. I think he'll be fine. Even if he isn't tho...he could be moved inside to RG because the guy is huge and moves people. Thats the beauty of taking a huge tackle...if they dion't work out they can be moved inside.

I think Iupati will be fine. He's just raw. Once he gets it tho, he's a keeper. The thing tho with BOTH of these guys is that we knew before the year that they were gonna struggle. O-Line in college is diff than the pros and its a big jump. It just takes time.

Mays....wow. He made a few mistakes yesterday, but I actually came away feeling much higher on him than I have in the past. Why? because even tho he didn't make every play, HE WAS THERE TO MAKE THE PLAY. The criticism on him is college was that he was TOO BIG to change direction and run in pass defense. He was there yesterday. He was running stride for stride with Steve Smith in the Endzone. He's a rook and has stuff to learn (and more importantly, knows that he has stuff to learn). My fav quote from him all year...it was after his interception in the preseason. He was being congratulated and he said essentially that he did what the play designed and he did what he was supposed to do. Thats it. No beating his chest....he was where he was supposed to be and made the play he was supposed to make. Love it.

Bowman...hrmm. Makes a few great plays....completely zones out on others. We may need Spikes back for another year.

Dixon...love the guy. GREAT energy, will do anything asked, and a great RB to boot. The guy is gonna be here for a long time.

Can't comment to much on the others as they haven't played much.

4) Our own Free Agents...I just dunno here. I've never been as high as some on Goldson. He made a few good plays in run D, but he's been invisible in pass D. Theres a part of me that would really not be to sad to see him go and see what Clements can do at FS. I know Nate got burned at CB yesterday, but his play style seems like it would be a perfect fit for a center-field type Ed Reed like FS. He may not want to make the move and I think he's due alot of money next year....but I have a feeling whatever team hes on, his future is at FS and he may be a pro bowler at that position. Of course tho...moving Clements to FS would mean finding a starting corner.

Manny....geez. I really like Manny. He just always seems to be just on the cusp of "arriving" and he never quite gets there. If he is going to be high priced as a FA, I say let him go. I like Ahmad Brooks, and he comes much cheaper and is already under contract.

5) Not only does a bad result give us a shot possibly at one of the better QBs...it gives us better draft position in every round. On a team that already has an abundance of talent, whomever the GM will be will be in prome position to get even more.

Anyway...this is how I sleep at night after watching what has been the worst season in recent memory. I'd rather look forward to the potentially positive than mire myself in the current atrocity.
I hate Kolb but his contract next year is very friendly. he signed a 12 million dollar contract with 10.7 million of that being a signing bonus.

I hate kolb and hope he doesnt wind up here i just hate when people dont know what they are talking about
Originally posted by valrod33:
I hate Kolb but his contract next year is very friendly. he signed a 12 million dollar contract with 10.7 million of that being a signing bonus.

I hate kolb and hope he doesnt wind up here i just hate when people dont know what they are talking about

I'm not interested in Kolb either, but I didn't realize his contract was trade friendly. The only reason I braught him up because I knew people here are going to say "go get a proven vet" as if they grow on trees.
I'm looking forward to a lockout so we don't actually have to watch this team for a year!
The Yorks will still be around next year so we'll probably go through the same kind of season again next year barring a lockout. I just can't see them making the right moves to turn this franchise around. They are way over their heads.
1. Alex fighting for a spot on the depth chart in the CFL.
2. Sing in the booth for FOX
3. Jed York losing control of the team after soliciting a large number of hookers.
4. The NFL draft

my fingers are crossed
Originally posted by golfing9er:
I'm looking forward to a lockout so we don't actually have to watch this team for a year!

2nd
Originally posted by amir_tn80:
The Yorks will still be around next year so we'll probably go through the same kind of season again next year barring a lockout. I just can't see them making the right moves to turn this franchise around. They are way over their heads.

Agreed. We all know the problems with the team and franchise. bad coach, bad qb....etc....the primary problem is the york family. as long as they are owners, this franchise is doomed. i feel sorry for the season ticket holders who paid huge bucks for this high school team.....
the following season
They need to hire a GM before they get a coach. Or at least make sure they get a combo that will work well together.

They have to solve the problem at qb then worry about the rest of your problems. Everything can't be fixed in one off season. Never thought I'd be saying this but they need to take a page out of the Redskins book. Get a skilled coach and decent GM. Then go out and get a serviceable qb with leadership skills and maturity that others will follow. Now instead of the skins losing all of the close games they are winning close games that they are actually being outplayed in. There o line is as bad but yet a veteran qb makes world of difference. McNabb doesn't even have great numbers but they have wins. Not sure who will be available but they need to take aggressive steps to improve this position. Sing a good free agent or trade just improve the position. If those options aren't good then a rookie qb will get a strong look from the team.

Manusky, Manny and Parys all need to go if they will continue to run the 3-4. sorry but Manusky's play calling is very suspect. You can't play a 3-4 and wait til the second half to actually blitzes or make any adjustments. It's been 3/4 years and they are just adjusting to defending the screen play. and Manny and Parys just can't cut it as full time OLB starters in a 3-4. There is no depth at all with the CB's. the fact that this team didn't add any cb talent except Will James is just laughable. whoever made that observation should be fired.

And Nate Clements as a Ed Reed type safety is the funniest thing I've heard in a awhile. He has no discipline at all, And doesn't have the speed to get over top of wr's and make plays. You can't have a safety that falls for double moves all day.

Team has talent they need a qb, and some coaching intelligence and strategy to be right back in the mix next year. Then you work and build to solve all other problems.

The 2012 season
Originally posted by lamontb:
They need to hire a GM before they get a coach. Or at least make sure they get a combo that will work well together.

They have to solve the problem at qb then worry about the rest of your problems. Everything can't be fixed in one off season. Never thought I'd be saying this but they need to take a page out of the Redskins book. Get a skilled coach and decent GM. Then go out and get a serviceable qb with leadership skills and maturity that others will follow. Now instead of the skins losing all of the close games they are winning close games that they are actually being outplayed in. There o line is as bad but yet a veteran qb makes world of difference. McNabb doesn't even have great numbers but they have wins. Not sure who will be available but they need to take aggressive steps to improve this position. Sing a good free agent or trade just improve the position. If those options aren't good then a rookie qb will get a strong look from the team.

Manusky, Manny and Parys all need to go if they will continue to run the 3-4. sorry but Manusky's play calling is very suspect. You can't play a 3-4 and wait til the second half to actually blitzes or make any adjustments. It's been 3/4 years and they are just adjusting to defending the screen play. and Manny and Parys just can't cut it as full time OLB starters in a 3-4. There is no depth at all with the CB's. the fact that this team didn't add any cb talent except Will James is just laughable. whoever made that observation should be fired.

And Nate Clements as a Ed Reed type safety is the funniest thing I've heard in a awhile. He has no discipline at all, And doesn't have the speed to get over top of wr's and make plays. You can't have a safety that falls for double moves all day.

Team has talent they need a qb, and some coaching intelligence and strategy to be right back in the mix next year. Then you work and build to solve all other problems.

I didn't say he's be Ed Reed. I said Ed Reed Type....IE a roving center fielder type with ball skills. As for the double move thing....its VERY different playing safety than corner. The play he made in Atlanta prior to his fumble is what I'm talking about. He came off his reciever entirely because he saw where the play was going and made what should have been the game ending pick.

He also very good in run support and forces turnovers.

That tells me he may have a future at FS. I think he's become problematic at corner.

As for the lack of speed....NFL history is full of CBs who lost their speed and made the switch to FS and played very well. Rod Woodson is one off the top of my head.

There are times when Nate looks like a great player and there are times when his gambling style gets him in trouble. At Free Safety, he can use that platymaking ability and not be as much of a liability when he gambles.

[ Edited by Marvin49 on Oct 25, 2010 at 10:07:21 ]
Things to look forward to next year : No more Alex Smith threads?!
I agree 100% with this thread. We have a lot of young talent that an established/experienced veteran coach who has had success would salivate to shine the light on. Now add that to higher picks in each round and we are very tempting to any coach out there.

Of course, we have that one MAJOR issue: QB.

I hope we sign Alex as a well-defined backup while we acquire an established starter. Either way, if we don't get a starter, then we develop the youngster while Alex becomes Steve Deberg. If he excels under the new coach, then we have two QB's the league will desire and are even in a better place.

[ Edited by Joecool on Oct 25, 2010 at 10:04:18 ]
Originally posted by theninermaniac:
Originally posted by golfing9er:

2nd

INDEED!
Share 49ersWebzone