There are 58 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Alex's Injury?

Any update on how severe his injury is? Since it's not his throwing shoulder he should be back sooner rather than later, unless it seperated and not a sprain?
  • Shemp
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 26,700
Originally posted by defender49:
Originally posted by Shaj:
Originally posted by defender49:
Originally posted by billbird2111:
Alex had a pretty good first drive to open the game -- but then settled into the mediocrity of play that we've come to see from him.

Blame Anthony Davis all you want for the injury -- and he did blow that block -- but you can also cite Mr. Smith's lack of awareness in the backfield, pocket presence, whatever you want to call it. We have seen this lack of a pocket presence again and again and again from him.

He didn't even see the defensive end coming at him. The hit caught him totally by surprise.

Sorry -- but an NFL QB just CANNOT DO THAT. You must be AWARE of the speed rushers on the edge -- and it's not like Davis was holding the point to begin with. Smith should have known he wasn't going to have a lot of time - but instead he just looked the other direction as we ALL KNEW what was about to happen.

We won't really know the extent of his injury until he gets an MRI -- but I think his career in San Francisco is pretty much finished at this point. And -- unless another team takes a flyer on a QB with two busted up shoulders (highly unlikely kids) -- his career in the NFL is probably over as well.

A sad ending to an equally sad era in San Francisco 49er Football.

lack of awareness? HOW many times have we seen Alex scramble from being pressured or throw it away to avoid a sack this year? he was hit from his BLIND spot. a spot "most" QB's can't see coming.

FYI, a right handed QB's blind spot is his left side. He got hit from the right. I think he should have seen it coming. I don't think he's out of football, however. He will have a long journeyman career most likely, with a few fill-in starts here and there.

FYI if you're focusing on the very left side of the field and not the right, it still creates a blind spot

Billbird had it right, that is just lack of awareness....
Originally posted by 49ERGLENN:
Any update on how severe his injury is? Since it's not his throwing shoulder he should be back sooner rather than later, unless it seperated and not a sprain?

We won't know until he gets an MRI -- and he may not get one until the team lands in London. Until then -- Alex is popping Vicodins. Shoulder injuries are pretty damn painful.
Originally posted by Shaj:
Originally posted by defender49:
Originally posted by Shaj:
Originally posted by defender49:
Originally posted by billbird2111:
Alex had a pretty good first drive to open the game -- but then settled into the mediocrity of play that we've come to see from him.

Blame Anthony Davis all you want for the injury -- and he did blow that block -- but you can also cite Mr. Smith's lack of awareness in the backfield, pocket presence, whatever you want to call it. We have seen this lack of a pocket presence again and again and again from him.

He didn't even see the defensive end coming at him. The hit caught him totally by surprise.

Sorry -- but an NFL QB just CANNOT DO THAT. You must be AWARE of the speed rushers on the edge -- and it's not like Davis was holding the point to begin with. Smith should have known he wasn't going to have a lot of time - but instead he just looked the other direction as we ALL KNEW what was about to happen.

We won't really know the extent of his injury until he gets an MRI -- but I think his career in San Francisco is pretty much finished at this point. And -- unless another team takes a flyer on a QB with two busted up shoulders (highly unlikely kids) -- his career in the NFL is probably over as well.

A sad ending to an equally sad era in San Francisco 49er Football.

lack of awareness? HOW many times have we seen Alex scramble from being pressured or throw it away to avoid a sack this year? he was hit from his BLIND spot. a spot "most" QB's can't see coming.

FYI, a right handed QB's blind spot is his left side. He got hit from the right. I think he should have seen it coming. I don't think he's out of football, however. He will have a long journeyman career most likely, with a few fill-in starts here and there.

FYI if you're focusing on the very left side of the field and not the right, it still creates a blind spot

Billbird had it right, that is just lack of awareness....

well then we'll have to look at the game film and we, we- we'll just have to move forward.

questins
Alex is done.
Originally posted by 49ERGLENN:
Any update on how severe his injury is? Since it's not his throwing shoulder he should be back sooner rather than later, unless it seperated and not a sprain?


Quote:
Alex Smith said he suffered a sprained AC joint — better known as a separated shoulder – on his non-throwing side while being sacked early in the third quarter. 49ers officials held back on a full diagnosis, saying that X-rays revealed no fracture. A MRI exam Monday could reveal more about the timetable for Smith’s return. Smith, who sustained a Grade 3 separation to his throwing shoulder in 2007, recognized the sensation immediately. “Same thing,’’ Smith said. “Came down on all my body weight at that point. I knew as soon as I landed on it. Same feeling. Same pain.” Smith said the feeling is “not quite” as severe as what he felt in ’07. He declined to speculate on when he might be able to return to action. Because the injury is to his non-throwing arm, he is optimistic about a quick return. “The left hand doesn’t do much,’’ Smith said. “It doesn’t affect throwing. If I can take snaps or hand the ball off, I think you can still be pretty functional.”

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/49ers/2010/10/24/49ers-fall-flat/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+49ersHotRead+(49ers+Hot+Read
  • Shemp
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 26,700
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Originally posted by 49ERGLENN:
Any update on how severe his injury is? Since it's not his throwing shoulder he should be back sooner rather than later, unless it seperated and not a sprain?


Quote:
Alex Smith said he suffered a sprained AC joint — better known as a separated shoulder – on his non-throwing side while being sacked early in the third quarter. 49ers officials held back on a full diagnosis, saying that X-rays revealed no fracture. A MRI exam Monday could reveal more about the timetable for Smith’s return. Smith, who sustained a Grade 3 separation to his throwing shoulder in 2007, recognized the sensation immediately. “Same thing,’’ Smith said. “Came down on all my body weight at that point. I knew as soon as I landed on it. Same feeling. Same pain.” Smith said the feeling is “not quite” as severe as what he felt in ’07. He declined to speculate on when he might be able to return to action. Because the injury is to his non-throwing arm, he is optimistic about a quick return. “The left hand doesn’t do much,’’ Smith said. “It doesn’t affect throwing. If I can take snaps or hand the ball off, I think you can still be pretty functional.”

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/49ers/2010/10/24/49ers-fall-flat/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+49ersHotRead+(49ers+Hot+Read

HAHAHA, Smith said he can play "functional". Nice choice of words there, buddy.
Originally posted by Shaj:
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Originally posted by 49ERGLENN:
Any update on how severe his injury is? Since it's not his throwing shoulder he should be back sooner rather than later, unless it seperated and not a sprain?


Quote:
Alex Smith said he suffered a sprained AC joint — better known as a separated shoulder – on his non-throwing side while being sacked early in the third quarter. 49ers officials held back on a full diagnosis, saying that X-rays revealed no fracture. A MRI exam Monday could reveal more about the timetable for Smith’s return. Smith, who sustained a Grade 3 separation to his throwing shoulder in 2007, recognized the sensation immediately. “Same thing,’’ Smith said. “Came down on all my body weight at that point. I knew as soon as I landed on it. Same feeling. Same pain.” Smith said the feeling is “not quite” as severe as what he felt in ’07. He declined to speculate on when he might be able to return to action. Because the injury is to his non-throwing arm, he is optimistic about a quick return. “The left hand doesn’t do much,’’ Smith said. “It doesn’t affect throwing. If I can take snaps or hand the ball off, I think you can still be pretty functional.”

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/49ers/2010/10/24/49ers-fall-flat/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+49ersHotRead+(49ers+Hot+Read

HAHAHA, Smith said he can play "functional". Nice choice of words there, buddy.

*NVM*

[ Edited by NineFourNiner on Oct 24, 2010 at 15:41:24 ]
Originally posted by Shaj:
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Originally posted by 49ERGLENN:
Any update on how severe his injury is? Since it's not his throwing shoulder he should be back sooner rather than later, unless it seperated and not a sprain?


Quote:
Alex Smith said he suffered a sprained AC joint — better known as a separated shoulder – on his non-throwing side while being sacked early in the third quarter. 49ers officials held back on a full diagnosis, saying that X-rays revealed no fracture. A MRI exam Monday could reveal more about the timetable for Smith’s return. Smith, who sustained a Grade 3 separation to his throwing shoulder in 2007, recognized the sensation immediately. “Same thing,’’ Smith said. “Came down on all my body weight at that point. I knew as soon as I landed on it. Same feeling. Same pain.” Smith said the feeling is “not quite” as severe as what he felt in ’07. He declined to speculate on when he might be able to return to action. Because the injury is to his non-throwing arm, he is optimistic about a quick return. “The left hand doesn’t do much,’’ Smith said. “It doesn’t affect throwing. If I can take snaps or hand the ball off, I think you can still be pretty functional.”

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/49ers/2010/10/24/49ers-fall-flat/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+49ersHotRead+(49ers+Hot+Read

HAHAHA, Smith said he can play "functional". Nice choice of words there, buddy.

Please God no, he's not even that good when healthy, and the season is over, NO MORE SMITH!!!

NO

MORE

SMITH!!!
  • dj43
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 20,155
Originally posted by ZRF80:
Originally posted by KRS-1:
Originally posted by ZRF80:
Originally posted by Shaj:
Originally posted by ZRF80:
Originally posted by kazak13:
well any info on how serious it is? I couldnt catch it on tv..

so how much more do we appreciate Alex now that we seen David Carr? Troy Smith in anytime soon?

Smith's career in SF is done. Up to this point, his play was questionable at best. I know his fans will say he played great today, but Im sorry.......scoring on your opening drive and then not making any noise against the worst team in the NFL is not something to build on.

Regardless of him returning, his supporters now have new ammo to defend him; INJURY.

I think his time here is over. Even if he misses 4 weeks, he doesnt have enough time to convince front management for an extension. Plus his injury will ply aq role in all this.

As for Carr stinking, yeah I guess if people want to use Carr's bad play to praise Smith, then all the power to them. In reality, all the QBs stink, and this was done on purpose by Sing so that Smith would have no competition.

Smith's M.O. is to "light it up" (80's and 90's passer rating) against the bottom 5 teams in the league, get 70's passer rating against average teams, and get 50's and 60's passer rating against the top 1/3 to 1/2 of the teams in the league. Regardless of this 6 year trend, people in NT will still proclaim he has arrived when he gets a passer rating of 87 against the worst team in football.

Yep, people are actually praising him for 9-19 effort against arguably the 12th ranked defense in the league.

Fixed. And you are very welcome.

In other words, Smith played pretty well for a guy passing against the 12th ranked passing defense.

Right............
Carolina's pass defense was ranked #5 in the league going into today.
Originally posted by 1251alex:
Originally posted by ZRF80:
Originally posted by kazak13:
well any info on how serious it is? I couldnt catch it on tv..

so how much more do we appreciate Alex now that we seen David Carr? Troy Smith in anytime soon?

Smith's career in SF is done. Up to this point, his play was questionable at best. I know his fans will say he played great today, but Im sorry.......scoring on your opening drive and then not making any noise against the worst team in the NFL is not something to build on.

Regardless of him returning, his supporters now have new ammo to defend him; INJURY.

I think his time here is over. Even if he misses 4 weeks, he doesnt have enough time to convince front management for an extension. Plus his injury will ply aq role in all this.

As for Carr stinking, yeah I guess if people want to use Carr's bad play to praise Smith, then all the power to them. In reality, all the QBs stink, and this was done on purpose by Sing so that Smith would have no competition.

haha, you're f**king ridiculous. and news flash: We are the worst team in the NFL.

News Flash we Draft Andrew LUCK!!!
  • dj43
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 20,155
Originally posted by billbird2111:
Alex had a pretty good first drive to open the game -- but then settled into the mediocrity of play that we've come to see from him.

Blame Anthony Davis all you want for the injury -- and he did blow that block -- but you can also cite Mr. Smith's lack of awareness in the backfield, pocket presence, whatever you want to call it. We have seen this lack of a pocket presence again and again and again from him.

He didn't even see the defensive end coming at him. The hit caught him totally by surprise.

Sorry -- but an NFL QB just CANNOT DO THAT. You must be AWARE of the speed rushers on the edge -- and it's not like Davis was holding the point to begin with. Smith should have known he wasn't going to have a lot of time - but instead he just looked the other direction as we ALL KNEW what was about to happen.

We won't really know the extent of his injury until he gets an MRI -- but I think his career in San Francisco is pretty much finished at this point. And -- unless another team takes a flyer on a QB with two busted up shoulders (highly unlikely kids) -- his career in the NFL is probably over as well.

A sad ending to an equally sad era in San Francisco 49er Football.
You must not have watched that play very well. The rusher went around Davis and was screened from Smith's view by the back. Smith had moved through at least one progression, possibly two, going from the right side of the field do the left. As the rusher came around Gore IIRC, Smith was looking to the far left side of the field. The rusher suddenly came from his right and Smith had no way to see him before he was right on him. The problem was that Gore was looking into the center of the line while standing the direct line of Smith's vision to the rusher. Gore didn't realize the rusher had beaten Davis until too late to help. All the while, the rusher was "hiding" behind Gore in a way that Smith couldn't possibly be expected to see him while looking left.

I agree Smith's pocket presence has not always been the best but today he was moving forward in the pocket much better than he had before. On this particular play, Smith's awareness was not the issue. It was a combination of Davis blown block combined with the fact Smith's field of vision was screened by the blocking back until the last split second. No way he escapes on that play. Even Tim Ryan recognized Smith had no way to see the rusher.

[ Edited by dj43 on Oct 24, 2010 at 15:55:11 ]
Per the Twitterz..

Alex is going to London.
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
Per the Twitterz..

Alex is going to London.

n****r should have still been throwing after that get him a shot and get his pads on him and get a big jacket we needed his arm over carr to win. where's the alex with a cig picture. i still blame nolan for making this team mentally weak.

[ Edited by TheGoldDiggerrrr on Oct 24, 2010 at 15:51:26 ]
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
Per the Twitterz..

Alex is going to London.

If only Sing would stay home.